Botanix Liohop-k

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottleBitch

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have come across a cool new product, its called LipoHop-K by Botanix, I recieved a free sample of this product and tried it out, so i guess i better tell you what it is.

Its a pure natural hop extract, called a lipid, and comes in the form of a paste, added at about 2-5 grams per 100lt, its great because it reduces the surface tension of the wort in the kettle, and what this does is reduce foaming, and that means no overboils. it also means that you can really cram a lot into a 50lt kettle, so far i have had 47lt at full boil without a worry.

not to sure about if any HBS stock it yet but you can aways pester them to get it in, its sold in australia by Hopco.

Cheers

Brett

there's no info on the botanix website, it must be a bit new. Did you get any literature with it Herbstoffe? It sounds pretty interesting.

I have had samples on trial for about 6 months, works well but it is about 5 times the price of the silicone equivalent.

Stock should be available in the next couple of days; the hard part has been coming up with a sensible packaging option.

Unlike silicone anti foam this product winds up in the trub and as mentioned is all natural hop extract.

MHB

2 products available

One to prevent foaming in the kettle & one to prevent foaming in the fermenter.
Both must be totally removed from final beer or head will be comprimised. The kettle addition appears to be removed by the brewing process, whereas the fermenter addition requires filtration.

Pdf's here for those interested.
View attachment Kettle_Antifoam_PI_sheet.pdf View attachment Antifoam_Emulsion__PI_sheet.pdf

Is there any interest in these??

cheers Ross

I have just tried this in the last 2 brews.
Both 70l in a 98 l kettle, first dose was 3gms, it boiled over. Second dose was 5gms, it boiled over.
The heat from the burner was reduced at 90c to help it from boiling over on both brews, they boiled over.
Back to the squirty bottle of cold water.

I have just tried this in the last 2 brews.
Both 70l in a 98 l kettle, first dose was 3gms, it boiled over. Second dose was 5gms, it boiled over.
The heat from the burner was reduced at 90c to help it from boiling over on both brews, they boiled over.
Back to the squirty bottle of cold water.
I used this last year at the whole bag brewday, it seemed to work ok then.

The main thing is it was a bugger to dispense / measure accurately (it's like getting an measured amount of vegemite out of a jar)

Back