Bore Water contains Iron & Copper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardLavender

Reaction score
I live in Oak Beach Australia where rain and bore is our only source of water. The tanks hold both.

I'm currently using store bought water but I want to use my property water but have been told that the water is high in copper and Iron and will not brew a good beer.

What are your thoughts and solutions? Thank you

First step would be to have a sample analysed to confirm just what is in the water besides copper and Iron then you will have a sound point to move forward from.

If your water report indicates high levels of contaminates and has high residual hardness then your option may well be to purchase a Reverse Osmosis unit to treat your brewing water.

Onlinebrewing Supplies has a unit for about $90 see details here http://onlinebrewingsupplies.com/index.php?cPath=74&osCsid=ckq0hv3krcod5op82gse7so2e5

I can't speak for how effective it is as I don't have one and "others" on this forum maybe able to offer comments based on experience

There are a number of brewers that use RO water who maybe able to help you with what to purchase and what it might cost.

If you go down the road of using "soft water" (RO, Distilled, Rain etc) for your brewing then you might want to have a read of this topic http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

It's a big read 121 pages but I found it very helpful in transitioning from "Tap" water to Rain water

Cheers

Wobbly

Hi Wobbly,

First, thank you for your response, suggestions and insights. They are very appreciated.
I'm a home brewer currently focused on learning and using extract worts, although had success with fresh worts purchased in 15L qty.

My goal is to reduce cost per bottle and to use home water instead of store bought. We are not on treated town water. How we've survived these 17 years without filtration is a wonder (being facetious). We cook with it and make coffee with it. But, reluctant to make beer with it.

I have put thought into testing the water but after consideration I realise that the test results will be a 'moving target' ie. rain water is seasonal and mixed with bore water in the tanks. The temperature of the season might also be a variable. My conclusion would be that I would have to have monthly or quarterly tests done to gain a result. I have considered RO but with a 1 to 3 result I'm not impressed with water waste but understand that the results would be favourable.

I brew two batches twice monthly and water requirements are less than 60L's

I have thought about purchasing a water test kit from an aquarium shop and possibly a multi stage aquarium filter along with a UV light filter to gain a level of base water. Then, I'd have to figure out how to reduce the water hardness to soft.

All this has my head spinning - but it is an interesting study and one most brewers eventually take.

I lived in western QLD (Charleville) for a few years and used bore water for brewing. It was only kit and kilo but it turned out okay. Some of my friends brewed some decent beers using bore water, but I wasn't so picky back then.

If you brew two batches a month, try one with bore water (especially if there is more rain water in the tank). Or half bought water, half tank water.

Hi Kaibarluke - thanks for the info - I have to write from all my reading and review of filter systems and now trying to understand hard and soft water issues my head is spinning.

One argument that I have read and consider is bacteria. Rainwater comes from the roof gutters and while they are generally clean there are bird, animal and air contaminants that can have an affect on water quality and safety. Does one just ignore these issues and brew away. In one article I read that hops kills bacteria. Then there are open fermentation brewing which invites bacteria and wild yeast.

Where does one just say 'the heck with it' and brew away? If it tastes good drink it?

yeah, good point. Bacteria will screw up your brew. You could boil it first, but if you are going to do that you may as well go down the AG track. I would probably keep buying store bought water or get one of the RO contraptions mentioned earlier.

There's several threads on here that discuss the Pro's & Cons of Tap vs Tank water, Plenty of brewers using one or the other or both.
Would it be possible for you to collect your brewing water from elsewhere? could you fill up a couple of 20L cubes from a mains supply somewhere or even collect your rain water first before it mixes with your bore water?

My brewing RO unit chucks out around 2/3 waste water, perfectly ok for watering plants or run it into the washing machine.

Hi, I'm i the same situation, no town water and rely on a bore. My bore is high in Iron and plays havoc with my pool chemistry. I used to take containers to a mates place and fill with chlorinated town water for my brews but decided to try my own water one day (about 3 years ago) as its a bit hard to get away from my mate when he wants a chat. I really do think my brews are better for it and I know some of the historic WA breweries were reluctant to disclose their well water sources to competitors, believing the water made their particular beer special. My thoughts are if the copper is not well above WHO recommendations use your bore water.

Recently had a NYD party and lost a keg to the masses, comments mostly around "I've paid $10 a pint for ales no better than this"

Cheers

Hi Kit,

Thanks for your response. Here is what I have concluded. 'Beer making is an experimental process' so experiment and see what happens.
The beer will either taste bad or it won't.

I have purchased a used sink and tap to be used in my garage next to my brew room (yes I now have a temp controlled brew room, built the counter to hold in place and waiting for two separate filters to arrive (see below for ebay links). Once the filters arrive I will have the plumber out to connect everything. The two filters are an interesting and inexpensive 'possible' solution. I have also purchased a drinking water test kit. The test kit comes with one bacteria tester and two separate testers that disclose findings on 25 different categories, iron and copper being two.. Upon receipt of the test kit I will run a test on the water and then when the filters are installed I'll run a second test to see the difference. Hopefully the use of the filters will reduce the high copper levels.

Here are the products I purchased

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Home-Pre-waterway-Protector-Stainless-Filter-Mesh-Alga-Separator-Water-Purifier-/121843157427?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Home-Stainless-Steel-700L-H-Bacteria-Rust-Alga-Separator-Water-Purifier-Filter-/271994443652

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201435463849?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would be interested to read comments / opinions about the above purchases from the readers.

I got back from holidays last week to find that our tank water had a nasty, dirty smell to it. It had been getting worse over the last 6 months or so but it was at a stage where something had to be done. Over two days I completely drained it , cleaned it and filled it up with our bore water which I reckon is pretty nice as far as bore water goes. I'll keep you posted how my first brew with the bore water goes.

The thing that really annoyed me was it was 3/4 full! About 25,000 Ltrs

If the bore water is high in copper and Iron would that harm RO filter and could sea water filtered be easier.

We know that our bore is high in copper and iron thus the reason for the purchase of the above two filters. Neither are an RO system.

I'm told that high contents of copper will affect the taste of the beer. Ok, my argument is that in the earlier days of brewing copper fermenters were used along with copper piping. Water in contact with a metal material will acquire the properties of the metal. Or, in earlier days when water was not able to be tested I'm sure high contents of minerals were present. The rebuttal is that today we have ways of measuring these variables and because we can we can produce better beer taste and quality.

Is the water drinkable copper is toxic at higher levels .

We've been using it for cooking and making coffee for 17 years.
When on the property I drink from the hose.
I can assure you that I am still living and have no known health issues.

If it wasn't for my new passion of brewing beer for the past year I would not have been concerned.

Once the drinking water test kit arrives we'll know the results.

AFAIK copper only negatively affects beer post-boil. High iron content in brewing water can induce a haze that's pretty much impossible to get rid of, which may or may not be a concern for you. Off-hand I don't know what that level is.

Edit: A quick Google search says iron begins to affect flavour around 0.5ppm and throws haze and affects yeast health at 1ppm. Tin in brewing water also throws a similar haze.

Hey Mardoo - thank you for the input - very interesting

When you write 'only negatively affects beer post-boil' do you mean when creating a wort and bringing the ingredients to a boil?

Some, but not all of my brews, have been hazy ... but, I have found using different yeasts gives me a better result with hazy beer.

I'm getting the impression, per your post, that my bore water will be fine to use as long as there is no evidence of bacteria. And, if there is boiling the water or a UV filter would resolve that issue.

Latest posts

Back