Books on Homebrewing (Beer)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First:
How to Brew - John Palmer / free version (not as up to date, revised) here: http://www.howtobrew.com/

After that:
Brewing Classic Styles - Jamil Zainasheff, John Palmer

After that:
Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels

Oh. You've been around for ages! Everyone likes, BCS, DGB and YEAST

The Hops book by Brewers Publications is interesting but light on info, Yeast and Water are both great but very in depth. Water goes a bit above my puny brain capacity for comprehension right now, slowly try to grasp the more detailed chemical interactions. Love Yeast, opened my eyes to lots more.

I'm currently reading IPA by Mitch Steele.

I haven't read that much of it yet but have heard its great if your into brewing IPA's.

I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Gordon Strongs book Brewing Better Beer is good too, along with Greg Noonans New Brewing Lager Beer which seems to be a popular choice, especially for info on decotion brewing.
There are so many good books out.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Grabbed How To Brew last night and will grab Designing Great Beers once I've finished it.

I have the Stone Brewing book which has a few of their recipes and was decent and really enjoyed the IPA book by Mitch Steele. Biased Stone geek boy here but they always back it up in the bottle and in these books :super:

I bought myself 2 new books for xmas from the book depository. A few more for the collection of books i dont get time to read :D

IMG_20171227_195444.jpg

I was given this one by a friend. Pretty decent!

IMG_1514365556.920782.jpg

That’s Denny Conn as in Wyeast 1450, “Denny’s Favourite “

Thats one on the to get list but I should really stop buying myself xams presents. Im supposed to be saving.

edit: actually I think Im confusing that one with Radical Brewing?

I love reading beer books.

It goes without saying that Palmer's How to Brew is great.

The Designing Great Beers book is good and has lots of information but is somewhat strange in the whole thing is based on a handful of entries in a US competition.

The books on different beer styles are normally interesting, I find, but are somewhat hit and miss. Often they're more inspirational than informative.

The "brewers elements" books (Yeast/Malt/Hops/Water) I have enjoyed reading.
Yeast is probably the best, both in terms of information and practical knowledge. I have re-read this book multiple times, but to be honest requires a PhD in Biochemistry (which I don't have) to fully understand. I aspire to setting up my own yeast lab as described in the book but let's get serious it's highly unlikely.
Malt was interesting but I didn't get too much practical information from it.
Water is also at the same technical level of yeast (chemistry-wise), with massive amounts of information. To be honest I feel the water chemistry section in Palmer's How to Brew book is more usable for all but the 0.001% of us. I do object to the paraphrased "Declaration of Independence" in the Water book. You would have thought beer is a US invention. Other than that, good book.
Hops, I am currently reading so can't yet comment on.

I have made more than a few of the recipes out of Clonebrews and this book has provided a lot of inspiration as well.

Read on.

[Is the Experimental Homebrewing book the one with the Cock Ale, i.e. the one with the boiled chicken in it, or am I thinking of something else?]

Latest posts

Back