boiling ldm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters73

Reaction score
G'day. Does light dry malt need to be boiled to sanitize it or just putting it in the fv with some boiling water and stirring enough? Cheers.

Yep, just dissolving in boiling water is sufficient. Just make sure you use enough to dissolve it properly.

What Matplat said. Doesn't require the boil as has already occured in the manufacturing process.

The OP is more concerned about sanitation I think rather than hot break etc.

I'd say it's a 50:50 call. As KB said, it's already been boiled so it basically should be sanitized already. And it's as hygroscopic as crazy, so it needs to be handled carefully by the manufacturer anyway. However there's always a tiny chance something maybe gotten into/onto it during handling (namely at your end or the repackaging retailer, rather than the manufacturer). It'd ~ be a very small chance, though.
So you should generally be fine just chucking it into the FV and pouring boiling water onto it to dissolve.
But if you wanted to be extra careful, a quick 5-10mim boil would ensure even less chance of bugs getting in.

So basically, if you've got the time and inclination, a quick boil is best practice. But if you don't, just chucking it in is probably a small corner to cut.

Star San the package and the cutting device you intend on using to open the bag and you should be right to add the dry malt strait into the FV. However, I've used my teeth to open the bag on several occasions in the not so distant past with no noticeable ill effects.
I wonder how sanitary (from a homebrew perspective) the work area, the process and for instance the vac seal bags are when the LHBS repackages bulk dry malt into smaller packs. Same goes for yeast.
Just thinking out loud not implying that we need any more cotton wool in an already cotton wool laden society.

I bought a 20kg bag of ldme and re-packaged it myself with my vacuum sealer.

I used a measuring jug to scoop from the big bag to the vacuum seal bags. No problems encountered :)

Don't forget that although we boil things to sanitise them, 99% of bugs die above 63°C, so dissolving in boiling water will most likely achieve sanitisation anyway.

technobabble66 said:

I'd say it's a 50:50 call As KB said, it's already been boiled so it basically should be sanitized already. And it's as hygroscopic as crazy, so it needs to be handled carefully by the manufacturer anyway. However there's always a tiny chance something maybe gotten into/onto it during handling (namely at your end or the repackaging retailer, rather than the manufacturer). It'd ~ be a very small chance, though.
So you should generally be fine just chucking it into the FV and pouring boiling water onto it to dissolve.
But if you wanted to be extra careful, a quick 5-10mim boil would ensure even less chance of bugs getting in.

So basically, if you've got the time and inclination, a quick boil is best practice. But if you don't, just chucking it in is probably a small corner to cut.

Interesting odds considering such a small chance of any problems. B)

You only need 1 bug to get in [emoji6]

If it was a larger chance I'd be saying definitely boil.
It's only a small corner (both in risk and effort), so 50:50 [emoji41]

thanks for the reply guys. I think i'll stick with a small boil for the hop adiitions and add the rest of the malt to the fv. cheers.

Temps near boiling sanitise wort. No worries on that count.

Although the better liquid and dry extracts are all boiled well before they're concentrated, which reduces hot break proteins, there is still a little frothing and hot-break formation after adding extract to boiling. Therefore, I boil and skim for a at least a couple of minutes. Manufacturers say it's unnecessary, since the amount formed is small.

technobabble66 said:
You only need 1 bug to get in [emoji6]

If it was a larger chance I'd be saying definitely boil.
It's only a small corner (both in risk and effort), so 50:50 [emoji41]
Sounds like technobabble to me...

As Matplat stated it is fine to add boiling water only. I use enough boiling water when added to the LDME that the temperature stays above 80 degrees C.
I then add all other adjuncts.

No worries at all yet...

technobabble66 said:

I'd say it's a 50:50 call. As KB said, it's already been boiled so it basically should be sanitized already. And it's as hygroscopic as crazy, so it needs to be handled carefully by the manufacturer anyway. However there's always a tiny chance something maybe gotten into/onto it during handling (namely at your end or the repackaging retailer, rather than the manufacturer). It'd ~ be a very small chance, though.

What he said. I consider that the safest way to do it. If you want to take a more risky approach, go for it, but if a batch comes out funky tasting, you may decide to do a more thorough sanitary process next time.

Back