• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Bm Thermal Jacket

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Just thought I would post my idea for a cheap basic thermal jacket for the BM. Its just made from a good quality car windscreen sun shade. This one has silver stuff on both side and a hard bubble wrap type cell material in between, I then covered it with duct tape.
I had to fold over about 10cm at the top and it overlaps a bit at the back, but I think it would be perfect for a 50 litre BM.
Also included a photo of my handle. :)

Steve

18032012093.jpg

18032012094.jpg

12032012092.jpg

Malted

Humdinger
Reaction score
Just thought I would post my idea for a cheap basic thermal jacket for the BM. Its just made from a good quality car windscreen sun shade. This one has silver stuff on both side and a hard bubble wrap type cell material in between, I then covered it with duct tape.
I had to fold over about 10cm at the top and it overlaps a bit at the back, but I think it would be perfect for a 50 litre BM.
Also included a photo of my handle. :)

Steve
Ha ha you modified the lid knob too!

I think a jacket with clips on it like some of the BIAB boys do would be good. That way you can easily remove it for cleaning purposes?
I get dribbles of wort etc down the sides of my BM and like to clean them off after a brew. It dribbles off the lid, the mash paddle, the malt pipe - not huge amounts but sometimes I get dribbles for various reasons.

Besides that I don't think that I need a jacket for my BM. It could add efficiency so you don't use as much electricity but I think the amount would be negligible unless you were brewing in the frozen tundra. The elements kick in as needed (one of the main reasons I bought a BM) so I don't need to worry about maintaining mash temps and when I have finished the boil, I am happy for it to lose heat as quickly as possible.

Not knocking ya mate, just thought it would be interesting to discuss the pros and cons of a jacket.

Edit: the pink wheeled skates look like a hybrid between blades and roller skates. I have not seen them like that before.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
The skates were a pressie from santa for my daughter.
Yes I agree, I doubt the jacket does much, and yes I do take it of when the chiller goes in too. I was just bored today and needed to do something.

Steve

Latest posts