Bm Thermal Jacket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Just thought I would post my idea for a cheap basic thermal jacket for the BM. Its just made from a good quality car windscreen sun shade. This one has silver stuff on both side and a hard bubble wrap type cell material in between, I then covered it with duct tape.
I had to fold over about 10cm at the top and it overlaps a bit at the back, but I think it would be perfect for a 50 litre BM.
Also included a photo of my handle. :)

Steve

18032012093.jpg

18032012094.jpg

12032012092.jpg

Just thought I would post my idea for a cheap basic thermal jacket for the BM. Its just made from a good quality car windscreen sun shade. This one has silver stuff on both side and a hard bubble wrap type cell material in between, I then covered it with duct tape.
I had to fold over about 10cm at the top and it overlaps a bit at the back, but I think it would be perfect for a 50 litre BM.
Also included a photo of my handle. :)

Steve
Ha ha you modified the lid knob too!

I think a jacket with clips on it like some of the BIAB boys do would be good. That way you can easily remove it for cleaning purposes?
I get dribbles of wort etc down the sides of my BM and like to clean them off after a brew. It dribbles off the lid, the mash paddle, the malt pipe - not huge amounts but sometimes I get dribbles for various reasons.

Besides that I don't think that I need a jacket for my BM. It could add efficiency so you don't use as much electricity but I think the amount would be negligible unless you were brewing in the frozen tundra. The elements kick in as needed (one of the main reasons I bought a BM) so I don't need to worry about maintaining mash temps and when I have finished the boil, I am happy for it to lose heat as quickly as possible.

Not knocking ya mate, just thought it would be interesting to discuss the pros and cons of a jacket.

Edit: the pink wheeled skates look like a hybrid between blades and roller skates. I have not seen them like that before.

The skates were a pressie from santa for my daughter.
Yes I agree, I doubt the jacket does much, and yes I do take it of when the chiller goes in too. I was just bored today and needed to do something.

Steve

Latest posts

Back