Bloody Boilover!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRB

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in any way, shape or form since April this year and decided to at least get the stocks up for the heavier summer drinking season. Enter the TCB Wetpak I won in the recent The Country Brewer raffle (thanks Shawn).

There I was doing my first "kit & bit" brew in almost 3 years, happily boiling away 6L in a 20L stockpot on the kitchen stovetop of my parents (where I'm house-sitting) with the lid half off. 30 minutes into the 60 minute boil I headed upstairs for 5 minutes as all'd been fine for the last 30 mins.

When I walked downstairs again I could smell something similar to roasting marshmellows, you know, when they get all charred up? I was thinking to myself how weird it was then as I got closer I noticed the lid sitting on, all sorts of goo running out and down the side of the pot! The bloody lid had shifted and closed on the pot causing a boilover.

I'm not usually overly worried about boilovers as my AG rig is outside and cleaning isn't a big deal... but cleaning up my parents' stove of all this lovely sticky mess! Pretty angy I was.

It just goes to show, Murphy is ALWAYS around when we're brewing. I've heard it said many a time that a boilover will occur as soon as one turns their back and I honestly believe it!

I just thought I'd post in anger.

I hope the beer is good - it's certainly smelt better than any kit I've seen in every respect. Nice fresh hop aroma from both the bittering (already in can of goo) and finishing hops. Hope to keg it in a week... thumbs up to at least the principle of this sort of kit. The taste test will be the final judge.

True, true. I guess I can't complain.

Latest posts

Back