Bloody Adelaide Wheather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxs19

Reaction score
hey guys

i have put together a couple of recipes that i want to try out but mother nature isn't playing fair and its going to be over 35c in Adelaide for the next 5 days.

I have a old fridge freezer that i want to set up with temp control but haven't had a chance to check out the jaycar kit yet.

How do you think i would go just whacking my fermenter in there? I could always put some frozen 2l plastic bottles in to try and keep it cooler?

Im brewing a coopers ale and a coopers draught both with the supplied yeast.

thanks for any feedback

BribieG (who lives on Bribie Island in QLD) brews this way. I'm needing to research some new methods as it's too warm even in Melbourne. I have a dubbel in a sink full of frozen bottles and the thermometer is reading unnervingly high. Only two weeks ago the ambient temp was perfect for my brews.

I have a working fridge but I need to keep my yeast and hops somewhere. My lady may get upset if I take over the fridge with brewing related stuff (currently have the laundry, back shed, chook shed and ocassionally the bathroom and kitchen).

hey mate

buy a cheapo plastic storage tub big enough to hold your fermenter with space around it for some 2L plastic containers.

collect a heap of 2L juice/drink containers fill with water chuck em in the freezer about 6 x 2L should do it

put ya fermenter in the tub, fill the tub up with water. get a sticky thermometer thingo and put it on the side of the tub

cycle about 2 x 2L containers at a time of the frozen water drop them into the tub to keep the temp down, i have found about 2 frozen containers in the morning and another 2 in the evening will keep you fermenter at 20 degrees. did this last summer, remember the ******* of a heat wave we had when it was still 40 degrees at 2am in the morning, fermenter never went over 22 degrees.

give it a go itll save you a bad tasting beer and a bad hangover from all beer brewed at temp that is too high

cheers
carty

EDIT: before i get flamed about water wastage, recycle the tub water on the garden when ya finished brewing that awesome beer of yours!

If you already have a fridge you are not using, and have a source of 2L frozen PET bottles then nothing easier. For example I had a freshly pitched brew last night that was at 24 degrees, popped it in the dead fridge with 2 PETS, and this morning it was at 17. OOps too low, so I took one out and it has climbed to 19 during the day. Perfect, now I'll swap one PET every 24 hours and it should sit nicely.

Remember a fermenter of beer has a fair thermal mass and once you get used to how much and how often to apply frozen PETs you can ferment to the exact degree required. Problem is if you have to go away for a few days. Otherwise I've been doing it for a couple of years. So does Dr Smurto who is a forum guru.

I've got to give something like this a go. Frozen bottles and ice bricks have been my saviour up till now but my laundry sink is just too small to compete with a 35 degree spring day.

I also need to store my crates of bottled beer somewhere cooler.

I read in a previous thread that some people use a simple plugin timer to regulate the fridge, a bit crude byt may get you through this period. I have heard mixed reports re the Jaycar thermostat, have a look at a previous thread titled "Brewing Lagers - Using A Fridge" it may help

I also need to store my crates of bottled beer somewhere cooler.
Agree. The garage is fine for 90% of the Melbourne year, but if we get another week of consecutive 40+ degrees days, I'm going to have to work some magic to find a place in the house.

What I wouldn't give for a cellar :icon_drool2:

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

just went out and scrounged 4x 2l plastic bottles from my bottle bin and filled with water and they are now in the freezer. would have looked harder but its too dark and hot for so ill go through it properly tomorrow.

BribieG

Just to clarify do you just sit the bottle in your dead fridge or do you also have your fermenter submerged in a container filled with water? Im assuming that the bottle slowly defrosting will cool the air in the fridge? I know that it sounds like a stupid question but i like so work things through in my head. Also is co2 build up from the fermenting beer ever a problem? i guess that it would just dissipate when you open the door to refresh the frozen bottles.

matt carty

It seems that the heat waves that we get in adelaide get worse every year. I lived in mildura for a couple of years and we had a schocker 1 am and it was still 42c couldn't sleep so went down the river and had a midnight swim!! Not the best climate to try and brew good beer in.

Ill clean the fridge out tomorrow with napisan then spray with no rinse saintiser as its pretty mangy at the moment and hope for the best.

I had "big plans" to get a heap of brewing done over winter - procrastination's a b!tch

thanks for the advice guys

Yep this weather is killing my brews here in adelaide. I've got a blonde and a ginger beer on the go at the moment that i'm desperately trying to keep cool. Reckon it's time for this poor student to find himself a cheap fridge otherwise i'll be brewing some very average beers over the next few months.

Echoing the suggestions above rotating frozen bottles is the go inside your fridge.

Is the old fridge/freezer inside or in the shed? If in the shed, leave the door open if you can to let that heat out...

It was hot today, next three days 38-39.... crazy!

just went out and scrounged 4x 2l plastic bottles from my bottle bin and filled with water and they are now in the freezer. would have looked harder but its too dark and hot for so ill go through it properly tomorrow.

BribieG

Just to clarify do you just sit the bottle in your dead fridge or do you also have your fermenter submerged in a container filled with water? Im assuming that the bottle slowly defrosting will cool the air in the fridge? I know that it sounds like a stupid question but i like so work things through in my head. Also is co2 build up from the fermenting beer ever a problem? i guess that it would just dissipate when you open the door to refresh the frozen bottles.

matt carty

It seems that the heat waves that we get in adelaide get worse every year. I lived in mildura for a couple of years and we had a schocker 1 am and it was still 42c couldn't sleep so went down the river and had a midnight swim!! Not the best climate to try and brew good beer in.

Ill clean the fridge out tomorrow with napisan then spray with no rinse saintiser as its pretty mangy at the moment and hope for the best.

hey

sorry mate, i didnt actually read all of the first post and missed the fact you had a freezer, sorry, posting while drinking not always a good mix.

you may not need the tub of water in with the freezer, just the fermenter and the ice blocks in there might be enough to cool it down, i used a tub of water as an insulator to cool down the fermenter with the ice blocks but the freezer sealed might be enough with a few ice blocks around it, dont really know maybe give it a go or hopefully someone else can clarify/advise

cheers
carty

try the polystyrene boxes like the ones green grocers get thier veggies in , put ice bottles around the fermenter ,and keep in the coolest place you can find.(not where there is a lot of air flow that will melt the ice too quickly)....cheers.......spog....

BribieG

matt carty

I had "big plans" to get a heap of brewing done over winter - procrastination's a b!tch

It can make as much CO2 as it likes, the more the better !

deadfridge.JPG

Echoing the suggestions above rotating frozen bottles is the go inside your fridge.

Even following this method with frozen 3lt bottles I can't keep my first AG below 24 degrees here in Melbourne the last few days. Gutted.

My last batch I had it in a 60L tub ($15 from Kmart) with a little bit of water in it and a towel over the top of the fermenter. The towel drew the water up the sides of the fermenter, and with 2 x 2L frozen bottles the temp kept nicely between 18-20C. Next time I think I'll put an old t-shirt over the fermenter, this way it'll get better water coverage and the thinner material should draw the water up more effectively.

It's council cleanup in my area at the moment so I'm looking for a dead fridge, I did see one on the way to work that I'll have to measure on the way home, although Im not sure Ill fix a full fridge in my car!

I'm trying to get 3 started now, just bought a freezer for the kegs and a fridgemate, so I will use it for fermenting this week (as the 3 brews I want to start will be myfirst kegs) then will keep my eyes open for a fridge or freezer that I can use as a fermenter.

good luck
Matt

Even following this method with frozen 3lt bottles I can't keep my first AG below 24 degrees here in Melbourne the last few days. Gutted.

Use more bottles, Bum. The more volume of ice, the cooler you'll get it.....last brew I did (just finished it) had 4x3L bottles in rotation, was holding 21C (till yesterday, when I racked off) in the current adelaide weather.

The thought had occurred to me but the freezer on the less important fridge (used for food) sadly will not accommodate - much smaller than the beer fridge.

The thought had occurred to me but the freezer on the less important fridge (used for food) sadly will not accommodate - much smaller than the beer fridge.

Yup, I feel for you Bum (I was careful not to type 'I feel for your Bum' :ph34r: The dead fridge method needs a dedicated fairly high-volume live fridge to feed it. Using the food fridge, you wouldn't have a hope. I've recently obtained a bigger fridge freezer for the brewery and I can keep a production line of six 2L PETs going at a time. Also here, the daytime temperatures vary around 28 to 31 during the summer and we very rarely get the 40 degree scorchers that you get in Adelaide or Melbourne when Central Australia belches its heat over you in a North Westerly. When we get the Northerlies or North Westerlies in the summer it just drags gulf air down, and it's 32 degrees there all year round anyway.

For example it's going to be 27 here for the next week or so, typical November weather and still doonahs at night.

my cupboard in the laundry is quite good, because the missus likes the house to like a fridge if its anywhere above 34 degrees outside, kills the electricity bill, but keeps the beer cooler :)

cant wait til sunday, 29 degrees and cool enough to brew again!! need to get the stocks up before it gets properly hot (40+)

Latest posts

Back