Blood Alcohol Concentration (bac)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be interesting to know how they "calibrate" the radar. As I understand the angle it's on is fairly critical and if you were drifting in the lane whilst speeding..... ??
Am I grasping at straws ??

mika_lika said:
Would be interesting to know how they "calibrate" the radar. As I understand the angle it's on is fairly critical and if you were drifting in the lane whilst speeding..... ??
Am I grasping at straws ??
[post="121466"][/post]​

I hear rumours they calibrate em by running past em with tin foil on thier heads! Hehehe - seriously there are issues with angle and weather - and sometimes birds tripping em. My advice is drinkk beer, get drunk then catch a bus - then ya got no worries :chug:

Bizarre said:
bighanno said:
Surely you jest about revenue raising!!! Those speed camera's detect speed!!! No new taxes, just more revenue raising products......got done for 63 in a 60 and a mate 51 in a 50.........don't believe it's revenue raising.......sorry off topic and a bit sensitive.

I smell rubber............bend over, another govt shafting!
[post="121464"][/post]​

Sorry - hehe - my mistake. It is about speed and not revenue. Honest! :)
63 in a 60 zone is a bit rough mate - whatever happened to error/tolerance levels for the cameras? I'd imagine they would have at least a 5 - 10 % error margin (anyone in the know please feel free to set me straight) :p
[post="121465"][/post]​

my friend who did a mechanical engineering course of some description (can't remember the name) at tafe said that by law, speedos need to be accurate to 10% (ie if it says 60 it could be between 54 and 66). So legally they can't start issuing fines until you're 11% above the limit (however they still do to get the uninformed)

But Mr Peas_and_corn, you're meant to calibrate your speedo don't you know. It's you responsibility as a car owner..

yeah, but under design specifications, they only have to be accurate- and this is after calibration etc- within 10%. You can make them more accurate, however since that's all the law asks for, then you can argue that the speedo was on 60

P&K, try telling that to the magistrate, IT'S YOUR responsibility to have a accurate speedo.
If you put new tyres on the car, of a different size (205/70/16 to 235/45/16), will make your speedo WAY out.
IT;S UP TOO YOU.

Normell

Howdy all,

I used to happily drive at 10% above the speed limit until it was explained to me that the allowance was not for the radar but for the speedo.

My understanding is that the radars are bang on the money, and as long as they have met with their regular maintenance schedule you dont get far with efforts to dispute the readings.

Bighanno the cops should have taken (and quite possibly did take?) the 10% from their reading before booking you so 70 Km/h becomes 63 Km/h. In the past you did have the right to see the radar display or printout record of the radar reading.

And just to make a comment to keep this post on subject - in Switzerland you can legally drive with a 0.08 reading, if you are involved in an accident and above 0.02 you are guilty of drink driving. Its an emphasis on personal responsibility; if you've got a glow up or you're pissed you shouldn't be driving regardless of a number of a machine.

Keith

I know we have drifted a bit off topic, but here is my 2c.

I believe that the requirement is for a speedo to be accurate to +/- 10%.

I also believe that an analogue measuring device is only accurate to half it's smallest scale of reading (and then technically, only if you have a mirror behind the needle, so you can minimise parallax error).

My car's speedo is graduated in 10Km increments. By definition, I can only ascertain my speed with this device to within 5kmh. Given that it is potentially up to 10% out either way, who knows what speed I am doing? (Not me!)

Each time I come back from the land of the speed camera (Victoria), I wait for a few weeks to see if I have been stung by the "zero tolerance consolidated revenue policy" I eagerly wait for my chance to test the Australian standards out in court if I have to.

Anyone here work for, or know anyone who works for Tenix? They calibrate the cameras and radars for Vicroads. I would be interested to know what their tolerance is as well.

Back on topic..... SWMBO is my taxi if I drink, and I am her taxi if she drinks.

I assess my night out, not by blowing into the machine on the way out of the club, but by the significance of the pain in the head the next morning. :beerbang:

M

Back