Blood Alcohol Concentration (bac)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighanno

Reaction score
Is .05 correct or should we revert to .08 or drop down to .02!

0.05 is a nice level, the experts have decreed it to be OK, why go against them.
Any lower makes it a bit of a kill joy, any higher just doesn't make sense

Ah experts, be careful, experts said asbestos was safe once!

Agreed. 0.05 is the go. Used to be 0.08 in NZ, the problem there (IMO) is that that last drink makes the 'just have one more' seem a lot easier / justifed - the logic starts to dissapear I reckon.

Cheers - Mike

bighanno said:
Ah experts, be careful, experts said asbestos was safe once!
[post="121137"][/post]​

Experts also once said the world was flat ! ;)

I'll happily believe them till it's proven otherwise and I ain't about to conduct the experiment.

It is flat, I aint fallen off yet and only occassionaly do I have to use the handbreak to stop the planet from spinning.
:))

Personaly I think I'm likely to be more of a risk on the road sober after a night shift, than at .05 earlyy evening. But I dont see government legislating against that.

bighanno said:
It is flat, I aint fallen off yet
[post="121154"][/post]​

Travel further :p

bighanno said:
and only occassionaly do I have to use the handbreak to stop the planet from spinning.
:))
[post="121154"][/post]​

The world don't revolve around me, but I have tried to stop the room from spinning once or twice, generally seems to stop if you laugh at the toilet bowl long enough :ph34r:

MVZOOM said:
Agreed. 0.05 is the go. Used to be 0.08 in NZ, the problem there (IMO) is that that last drink makes the 'just have one more' seem a lot easier / justifed - the logic starts to dissapear I reckon.

Cheers - Mike
[post="121138"][/post]​

Whatever the set limit chosen, it is still arbitary. There is nothing inherently wrong with driving with a BAC limit above .05, nor .08 nor .02 for that matter. It is just a limit chosen because some people believe it bests represents the cutoff point that separates bad driving from good. I find the last drink to tip me over .05 very easy too.

mika_lika said:
The world don't revolve around me, but I have tried to stop the room from spinning once or twice, generally seems to stop if you laugh at the toilet bowl long enough :ph34r:

Try lying face-downworks a treat as it keeps the blood flow away from your inner ear ;)

PZ.

Bit of a thread hijack, but who knows whether they're over or not and how ? Personal breath test device, use the pub machine, personal feeling ("Yeah, I'm right to drive") or let the coppers decide for you ?

I just don't drive after drinking at all anymore.

Can't say the same for a few of my mates I'm afraid :huh:

PZ.

mika_lika said:
Bit of a thread hijack, but who knows whether they're over or not and how ? Personal breath test device, use the pub machine, personal feeling ("Yeah, I'm right to drive") or let the coppers decide for you ?
[post="121183"][/post]​

Amount of standard drinks I've had divided by the time I've been drinking. I work on roughly 2 drinks in the first hour and one every hour after, though the formula varies depending on your weight and muscle:fat ratio. If in doubt, don't drive.

I follow the same theory as you Kai, 2 beers max in the first hr, if I go 3 I go 10 and walk or call the minister for finance to collect me........who then whines :)))

After 3 schooners I am approx .035 I guess four would take it to .05 but that is about a sixpacks worth and I shouldn't be driving

they use a radar to check your speed and give you a speedo on you dash board to check what speed you are doing.

they use a breatho to check your blood alcohol and give you sweet FA in your car to check it yourself for.

It is all about revenue raising not saving lives otherwise cars would be built with lockout breathtesters!

There is a lot of technology for cars out there that would help save lives but the government makes too much money out of not doing anything to do anything about it....they have blood on their hands!

rant over.

kirem said:
they use a radar to check your speed and give you a speedo on you dash board to check what speed you are doing.

they use a breatho to check your blood alcohol and give you sweet FA in your car to check it yourself for.

It is all about revenue raising not saving lives otherwise cars would be built with lockout breathtesters!

There is a lot of technology for cars out there that would help save lives but the government makes too much money out of not doing anything to do anything about it....they have blood on their hands!

rant over.
[post="121459"][/post]​

I totaly agree re revenue raising etc. Case in point is our speed cameras in WA - I am still trying to figure out how hiding a camera in a van or behind bushes etc - with a poxy little yellow sign 5 meters away from the camera, saying "thankyou for observing the speed limit" (again usually fairly hidden) saves lives. Bollocks! It makes money and nothing else. I dont know what the answer really is (Hehehe beer n scotch intake - I know its mid week but I had a crappy day at work, so the old brain box isnt firing properly) - but the cameras is not really the way to go I dont think. The in car breath tester thing is a good idea - but u could always get someone else to blow in it. I dunno - maybe education might be the only way to make a real difference.

Surely you jest about revenue raising!!! Those speed camera's detect speed!!! No new taxes, just more revenue raising products......got done for 63 in a 60 and a mate 51 in a 50.........don't believe it's revenue raising.......sorry off topic and a bit sensitive.

I smell rubber............bend over, another govt shafting!

bighanno said:
Surely you jest about revenue raising!!! Those speed camera's detect speed!!! No new taxes, just more revenue raising products......got done for 63 in a 60 and a mate 51 in a 50.........don't believe it's revenue raising.......sorry off topic and a bit sensitive.

I smell rubber............bend over, another govt shafting!
[post="121464"][/post]​

Sorry - hehe - my mistake. It is about speed and not revenue. Honest! :)
63 in a 60 zone is a bit rough mate - whatever happened to error/tolerance levels for the cameras? I'd imagine they would have at least a 5 - 10 % error margin (anyone in the know please feel free to set me straight) :p

Latest posts

Back