Blichmann Conical Fermenters. Anyone got one?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
And if you're in Sydney, can I come and look at it?
I'm thinking of dropping some coin on a 7 gallon unit and I really don't want to spend the money unless I can see it first. The importer will only bring the small ones in as a special, and they're in Quoinsland anyway.

I'd be looking at the one with tri clover fittings. Might as well do it properly if you're spending that much on a glorified bucket.

The Blichmanns seem much more expensive than others of similar size, and don't have a thermowell, but have the big advantage of being able to fit in my current fridge due to the compact size. I'd prefer not to go bigger for this reason, and 7 gal is adequate for my rig anyway.

As always, your thoughts and/or abuse will be welcomed.

Cheers!

FB

I've got a 14 gallon and I'm pretty happy with it but I doubt I'd get another one. The lack of any welds is good and not something I've seen on other conical fermenters. Properly cleaning everything can be a bit of nuisance, there's a lot of parts.

You can get them from from the US and save some coin if you shop around.

All I'd say is don't choose your conical to fit your fridge.
fridges come and go but the conical will stay with you for a long time.

can always pick up a suitable fridge cheaply 2nd hand if you're patient.

oh, and if you can wait until the second half of the year you might be able to save some serious coin.

Have you looked at core brewing conicals, I've just brought one and could not be happier, I know some people have not be super happy with after sales service but the quality of the product is awesome.

Re the fermenter fitting the fridge: it's probably not a strict requirement, but keeping things compact is important as I'm relatively restricted on space.

I did look at the Core brewing ones online, I believe they're supplied by Stout tanks in the US but made in China. Based on looks alone, they look good, but seem a bit bulky for the capacity. The price seems right though, I could pick up that 27 gal unit for what it will cost to get the 7 gal Blichmann.

I did look at some US online shops and the difference in price on the Blichmann there and here seems negligible, but definately cheaper. On a cursory level though probably not enough to worry about.

I have the 10 gallon one with tri clover fittings and the blow off valve assembly. I love it. Yeah it may take a bit of extra work to clean but everything comes apart which makes it so much easier to clean. Weldless is a great bonus I reckon. And if you do get one order it directly from the US. Homebrewing.org is where I got mine from. Worked out a lot cheaper than buying from the Australian distributor in Queensland. All my blichmann gear has been ordered from the US directly. Saved quite a bit this way.

Screw one that can fit your fridge and buy a temp controlled conical, I believe morebeer have them that can hold temp within 1 degree without a fridge.
If you are going to blow the cash, go balls deep.

I'd be more inclined toward the glacier tanks fermenters myself. Don't know if there is a local importing though.

I've been looking at conicals a bit. The big -ve with the blichmanns is lack of pressurizing. Some others with the addition of a spunding valve will allow you to carbonate in the fermenter and do pressure ferments, both worthwhile considerations when spending that amount of coin .
The brewhemoth at 22 gal is probably the best buy, but costs add up with added hardware. Brewers hardware also make some nice ones, and although not on the website I understand that they may be testing at present and will soon announce a suitable pressure limit. Guys have been using them to 15 psi with no problems apparently. The other contender are the Glacier tank ones ,which look pretty good too.
I wouldn't really consider the 7 gal ones as the bigger ones although costing somewhat more would be more versatile, and from my experience with brew gear the dreaded upgraditis will kick in and you'll want/need a bigger one down the track. With the pressurized fermenters you can ferment as small amount as you want as well without any oxidizing problems.
I'm also not looking at the jacketed versions as glycol units to bring them down to crash temps ( eg 0 to -1) are pretty exxy, and getting the fermenter into an upright freezer would be the go. The brewhemoth lends itself well to this being tall ( adjustable ) and skinny.
Some pundits are suggesting the dollar maybe heading back to parity, making importing one a little better too.

Fat ******* said:
The Blichmanns seem much more expensive than others of similar size, and don't have a thermowell, but have the big advantage of being able to fit in my current fridge due to the compact size. I'd prefer not to go bigger for this reason, and 7 gal is adequate for my rig anyway.

As always, your thoughts and/or abuse will be welcomed.

Cheers!

FB
Lack of a thermo well for a start would put me off the vessel then having to pull apart all the fittings to clean would make it a no deal for me.
If the welds on a vessel are done properly its a much better option than weld-less fittings.
Nev

seamad said:
I've been looking at conicals a bit. The big -ve with the blichmanns is lack of pressurizing. Some others with the addition of a spunding valve will allow you to carbonate in the fermenter and do pressure ferments, both worthwhile considerations when spending that amount of coin .
The brewhemoth at 22 gal is probably the best buy, but costs add up with added hardware. Brewers hardware also make some nice ones, and although not on the website I understand that they may be testing at present and will soon announce a suitable pressure limit. Guys have been using them to 15 psi with no problems apparently. The other contender are the Glacier tank ones ,which look pretty good too.
I wouldn't really consider the 7 gal ones as the bigger ones although costing somewhat more would be more versatile, and from my experience with brew gear the dreaded upgraditis will kick in and you'll want/need a bigger one down the track. With the pressurized fermenters you can ferment as small amount as you want as well without any oxidizing problems.
I'm also not looking at the jacketed versions as glycol units to bring them down to crash temps ( eg 0 to -1) are pretty exxy, and getting the fermenter into an upright freezer would be the go. The brewhemoth lends itself well to this being tall ( adjustable ) and skinny.
Some pundits are suggesting the dollar maybe heading back to parity, making importing one a little better too.
The brehemoth looks pretty good, but the one thing I really don't like about it is the tiny 4 inch opening at the top. It just makes cleaning so much more complicated as you can't just easily reach and look in there to give it a good clean.

I know you can muck around with spray balls and so on but it's just another thing to set up, not attractive to me at the moment.

Florian said:
The brehemoth looks pretty good, but the one thing I really don't like about it is the tiny 4 inch opening at the top. It just makes cleaning so much more complicated as you can't just easily reach and look in there to give it a good clean.

I know you can muck around with spray balls and so on but it's just another thing to set up, not attractive to me at the moment.
I agree, though I recon my arm would probably fit, so choices stop pumping iron and taking roids or setup cip. I note on most of the posts I've seen on yank forums say they've gone with the latter.

I have sent an email to Glacier Tanks to see if they'd be willing to ship and what it would cost to get here. Looks the goods!

http://www.glaciertanks.com/Conical_Fermenters-7_Gallon_28L_Conical_Fermenter.html

Still haven't heard back from the Blichmann people re shipping costs and a quote on the tri clover blowoff, If I hear from Glacier first and it works out cheaper, I think Glacier might be winning.

Fat ******* said:
I have sent an email to Glacier Tanks to see if they'd be willing to ship and what it would cost to get here. Looks the goods!

http://www.glaciertanks.com/Conical_Fermenters-7_Gallon_28L_Conical_Fermenter.html

Still haven't heard back from the Blichmann people re shipping costs and a quote on the tri clover blowoff, If I hear from Glacier first and it works out cheaper, I think Glacier might be winning.
Have a look at PriceUSA or similar companies. They'll organise shipment from the USA for companies that only ship with the states. They'll give you a quote before you have to proceed. I've used a number of times and found them great to deal with. I used them on my Brewhemoth.

Did you hear back from glacier? I've sent off a couple of emails with no reply. Thats the one I'm leaning towards also as it has the 60 degree cone.
Vorno

Yeah, I heard back from Glacier... Happy to ship ( didn't reply to my direct question about shipping cost) and told me the vessels are rated up to15psi.

I think I'm gonna wait. Too much choice and too little knowledge. And the price might come down.

Latest posts

Back