Blichmann Conical Fermenters. Anyone got one?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet was looking at these from the American site!

I've put my name down for one of the conicals, I believe I might get it in July already with a bit of luck (fingers crossed).

Will report back once I have it, but most of the stuff i have seen about them looks really good.

Doubleplugga said:
I have the 10 gallon one with tri clover fittings and the blow off valve assembly. I love it. Yeah it may take a bit of extra work to clean but everything comes apart which makes it so much easier to clean. Weldless is a great bonus I reckon. And if you do get one order it directly from the US. Homebrewing.org is where I got mine from. Worked out a lot cheaper than buying from the Australian distributor in Queensland. All my blichmann gear has been ordered from the US directly. Saved quite a bit this way.
I costed these up from this website you mention and it's more expensive than buying locally.

27 Gallon Blichmann Conical Fermenter with Tri-Clamp Fittings (there is no 10 gallon version, and iBrew don't list a price on the 14 gallon). $1090USD + $688 USD freight = $2020AUD. IBrew's price is $1950.

With this bigger fermenter there would also be GST payable as well, but I haven't included that.

MastersBrewery said:
Spiesy, $1950 at iBrew is that delivered?
I don't believe so, no.

So if you weren't able to pickup, you'd have to factor in a delivery charge.

But - I've been very conservative with my estimates. Exchange rate of 0.90/1 USD/AUD (NAB is currently paying 0.89), no bank exchange fees (which will apply) and no GST (where applicable).

Even still, without allowing for all of those - there's $70 you could set aside for domestic freight, and you have the peace of mind in knowing that your products have a local warranty. Most people don't mind paying a little extra if it means they get to purchase locally, let alone paying the same amount.

Cervantes said:
Now that is nice. And looks to be great value for money..................

But out of stock at the moment.

Does anyone have a price for shipping?
Not exactly out of stock, they haven't been launched here yet.

July/August launch date.

Shipping is from Brisbane as far as I know, so if using couriers it shouldn't be tooo much along the East Coast.

Now that's a nice SS fermenter!

I wonder if pick up in Brissy is an option?

I cant find where I read it now, but I believe the angle on the conical is important for the function of draining the trub and yeast.

If someone knows this theory can they explain it it give me a link to the info?
I could imagine that with a sharper angle then the yeast would be more easily accessed as opposed to one with a lesser angle as the yeast that has settled on top of the trub is thicker in depth than if it was flatter. I hope that makes sense :)

Florian said:
Shipping is from Brisbane as far as I know, so if using couriers it shouldn't be tooo much along the East Coast.
There may be other resellers of these fermenters upon release, outside of Brisbane, which may help with freight.

How much are those conical delivered florian?

Are you going to add a dump valve for the Brew Bucket?
We are indeed planning to do a "pro series" or "master brewer series" Brew Bucket later in 2014 that will incorporate not only a yeast dump on the bottom but also a thermowell on the side. In the meantime, it would be pretty hard to fab this on your own and we aren't responsible for damage if you try and fail.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/7-gallon-chronical

This may be worth waiting for.

aydos said:
How much are those conical delivered florian?
Not sure exactly, it's not me selling them ;-)

but I reckon with fastway out to you it shouldn't be much more than 20 bucks, really. Not much in the scheme of things anyway.

OK, so I've had an email from Gary at Newera Brewing saying that local pickup is indeed an option, that's great news.
Pick up is from the South side by arrangement.

Dicko, as for the angle, ideally it would be 60 degrees, 70 seems to be even a little better. There is some discussion here which also explains how these angles should be measured.

Personally I would also think that the steeper the better.

The angle on the Ss Brewtech conicals (they call them 'Chronicals', so let's just go with that for ease of typing) looks pretty steep, without measuring I'd say they're at least 60 degrees if not a little more, so pretty perfect in my books.

Florian, thank you for that link, that explains it well.

The "Chronical" in the link above certainly is attractive, with both price and design.

Back