Black Mould Spots In The Bottom Of A Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
I have little (1mm dia) mould spots in the bottom of one of my cubes.
I have it sitting outside with a solution of Idolphor in there.
Will that clean it up or should I use something else?
I cant reach that far inside the cube to scrub them out.

PLease help.

Fill nearly to top with water. Add a cup of bleach and half a cup of white vinegar. Leave it for a day or two then rinse. All will be well.

Iodophor is a sanitiser, not a cleaner.

Use either bleach (like Pomo said) napisan or PSR in the correct concentration. Leave for a day, rinse thoroughly and then drain and dry.

Don't use a combination of cleaners. Only one chemical at a time.

For iodophor to be effective as a no rinse sanitiser, every surface has to be spotlessly clean.

Store all fermenters and cubes clean and dry.

+1 for water, bleach, vinegar, and kiss that mould goodbye.

Soak, air dry, then a swish of iodophor just before use for insurance.

I have found napisan soaked for a couple of days removes these spots with no problems as well.

I have found napi-san to be more effective against black mould. Bleach and vinegar are better for dried on beer etc.

Never had mould in the cube itself but I do seem to get black mould under the rubber ring on the cube lid.

Bleach by itself is useless, all it does is take the colour out of the mould - and not kill it.

+1 for the Cortez the Killer cube cleaning method (bleach and vinegar)

Bleach by itself is useless, all it does is take the colour out of the mould - and not kill it.

Napisan (generic brand), PSR or Bleach & Vinegar all get a go at my place. The is no doubt in my mind that Napisan appears to get off stubborn hardened stuff better that the other two but all three work a treat.

For around $14 per cube I reckon I know what I'd be doing.

FWIW If my cubes are going to be lying around empty for any given amount of time. I crush a Campden tablet and throw it in each cube. Seems to stave off any moulds.

Warren -

I'd like to credit for the method......

But I have never actually employed the use of vinegar in my brewery

My cubes only see bleach and then a shot of idophor before filling

Occasionally sodium percarbonate pays visit

But have never had any problems

Some of the old cubes I picked up from NNL were a bit funky - but a bleach soak sorted them out

Sorry to dispel the legend

Looks like I'll have to come up with something else clever to revive the "CtK Method"

Cheers

+1 for this. but DONT add the vinegar to the bleach (unless you own a gassmask, or know any world war 1 veterans that want a flashback.)
add bleach, then water, then vinegar.

I told the Mrs about this wonderful mould cleaning solution. She failed to hear the "add to water" part and just mixed bleach with vinegar. She ended up going to hospital suffering from chlorine inhalation injuries :rolleyes: Luckily she got out of the room before she did any major damage to herself.

Latest posts

Back