Bittering with Magnum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

Tapped a keg last night that was a Blonde ale bittered with Magnum and a bit of Cascade late. I'm getting no Cascade at all and a distinct earthy flavour, that I think may be coming from the Magnum, but this is my first time using it. Once you stop looking for the Cascade and drink it for what it is, it's actually not a bad brew, but just not what I was going for. Just wondering if anyone else has had a real earthy flavour come through from a MAgnum bittereing addition. FWIW the brew details are below:

Brookvale Blonde (Blonde Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.4
Bitterness (IBU): 23.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

88.89% Pilsner
5.56% Carapils (Dextrine)
5.56% Melanoidin

0.2 g/L Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 15°C with Wyeast 2565 - Kölsch

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Are you sure your not mistaken the flavor as DMS from the Pilsner.

I made a basic ale with only a Magnum bittering addition and I reckon it tasted a lot like XXXX bitter. Similar thing to what you got I reckon.

Bribie G said:
Stale Cascade maybe? How old and how stored?
Not exactly sure, but less than 12 months stored in freezer

SG9090 said:
Are you sure your not mistaken the flavor as DMS from the Pilsner.
Not sure, as not overly experienced with Pilsner malt either.

Wondering if I actually used Cascade, or used Magnum instead, ie grabbed the Magnum pack instead of Cascade. Sounds stupid but not out of the question. Does Magnum have an earthy flavour if used late?

I use Magnum just about every brew for bittering and find it very clean and neutral. Where was the Magnum grown? My experience is based on German Magnum.

Midnight Brew said:
I use Magnum just about every brew for bittering and find it very clean and neutral. Where was the Magnum grown? My experience is based on German Magnum.
Same, Germany

I reckon the earthiness is coming from your malt, especially with the Carapils in there.

As others have mentioned, Magnum is generally a good, clean bittering hop.

I wondered whether the Melanoidin may contributing to it as well, as I've not used it before either. I don't think it would be the Carapils, I use it in nearly every brew to assist with head retention and usually find it pretty neutral.

I use Magnum as my bittering hop in most of my lagers. It is a very clean neutral bittering hop. I think you malts are the culprits.

I've used Magnum for bittering only, as mentioned above, clean and neutral, but sometimes also a bit metallic.

Back