Bits And Pieces Barley Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esssee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Having recently watched an old Video Podcast of Basic Brewing, where they make a Barley Wine, I thought I'd give it a go with some left overs.

BWP Wine
American Barleywine

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 5.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.070
Total Hops (g): 45.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.096 (P): 22.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.024 (P): 6.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 9.43 %
Colour (SRM): 11.7 (EBC): 23.0
Bitterness (IBU): 91.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
0.670 kg American 2-Row (32.37%)
0.670 kg Wheat Malt (32.37%)
0.660 kg Pilsner (31.88%)
0.070 kg Crystal 120 (3.38%)

Hop Bill
----------------
35.0 g Fuggles Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (7 g/L)
10.0 g Fuggles Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)

Not trying to hit any specific style, hence the mixture of Ale Malt, Wheat Malt and Pilsner Malt, but will the Pilsner Malt work in this?

Also, any suggestions for the second runnings? Would I be able to get another 5 litres at a lower OG, or should I go for a smaller batch?

Any suggestions for hopping the second runnings?

Sounds good to me...time will certainly tell, being a Barley Wine and all. Give it a nice long boil (120min) and you should get some good reduction and nice caramalisation too.

As for the 2nd runnings...what hops you got?
That would be pretty decent for a Pale Ale or British Golden Ale of sorts if you still have more Fuggles. Though with such a small amount of grain, i'd be tempted to cram it all into the BW...extended boil included to reduce it.

Good point about adding the Second Runnings into the Barley Wine. I think I'll do that.

Am I right in thinking that the second runnings would both increase the pre boil volume, but decrease the pre boil Gravity?

With a 120 minute boil, would you keep the first hop addition at 60 mins, or take it out to 120 mins?

I've been wanting to try and do a barly wine, and like the idea of small volume so not to spend a fortune on something a little unknown end result wise :)

I'd like to do something similar but with an American twist, so hoppy/fruity, kinda like the Feral barly wine... any suggestions on hops/amounts?

Knocked this one out today, before work.

My second AG brew (BIAB), and I am again amazed at how spot on the BIAB Calc Spreadsheet from biabrewer.info is.

Due to time constraints, I didn't worry about second runnings, so I only got 4 Litres into the fermenter, instead of 4.3 litres, but the OG was 1.095 (estimated at 1.096).

Pitched about 6g of US-05, and let the good times roll.

Can't wait to taste this one, but I know that the longer I leave it, the better it will be.

I should also add, for those that are interested, that I mashed at 67 for 70 minutes, mashed out to 75 for 5 minutes, and then boiled for 100 minutes. All of these times are a little odd compared to the norm, but I had to go to work.

I also followed Nick JD's guide (link), and Glad Wrapped the pot, and left it to cool while I was at work. Transfered to the fermenter, and pitched when I got home tonight.

Mate , sounds good
Only Thing I wouldd have done was to pitch 2 pkts of yeast..
I've done a bit of reading on Barley Wine and if you search Maltose Falcons , there is a great article on big beers...
they also suggest oxygenation at 18 hours to really help fermentation ... So shake that thing !!!
I'd link but I'm on the iPhone !
Cheers
Good luck
Ferg

Back