Biofine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I didn't know that Biofine existed until last week so I bought a bottle.
Gave it a whirl, added a capful (probably 6ml or so) when I kegged a lager last night. The beer was still a bit hazy, but here's after 20 hours.
Biofine 1.jpg

Second pull out of keg, so we are looking at the very bottom horizons of the beer in the keg. Not yet carbed of course but actually enjoyable as it has a bit of spritz from the lagering rest.

Dis is da shee-yut :cheers:

disclaimer: I used the CraftBrewer reference here, but no doubt available elsewhere, no affiliation.
Ed: but high recommendation of course as always ;)

Last edited:
I didn't know that Biofine existed until last week so I bought a bottle.
Gave it a whirl, added a capful (probably 6ml or so) when I kegged a lager last night. The beer was still a bit hazy, but here's after 20 hours.
View attachment 106941
Second pull out of keg, so we are looking at the very bottom horizons of the beer in the keg. Not yet carbed of course but actually enjoyable as it has a bit of spritz from the lagering rest.

Dis is da shee-yut :cheers:

disclaimer: I used the CraftBrewer reference here, but no doubt available elsewhere, no affiliation.

It does work well in my experience, too.

I actually use 20-30ml per keg. Probably overkill for some batches but I am happy to buy more and avoid adding gelatine to or anything to my FVs.

I looked on an American pro-brewer forum and they use heaps of it nowadays, almost exclusively for clearing out brite tanks at microbreweries, they report 24 hour crystal clear. I'd expect it would be a lot less effective adding it to beer straight after primary fermentation, but for polishing up beer that's been cold conditioning for a while it's a real eye opener for me.

With something like this stripping out remaining yeast, would it be a bad thing to use if bottling where you're relying on conditioning from yeast? Or would there still be enough yeast left to do the job, maybe take a bit longer?

I'd guess so - probably just take a bit longer. According to the "yeast" book, beer that looks perfectly clear to the human eye can still contain n million yeast cells per ml.

I'd prob only use something like this on my pales and such which I don't usually sit in the bottle for more than a couple of months. This might push the timeline out to an extra month or so.

What about re-using the yeast?
Do you think they'd be ok to go to work again, or regenerate, or would they be cooked after the silicic acid?

Edit: obviously ideally its applied in the keg or 2ndary FV, but just wondering on this scenario

You guys don't know anything. Brulosophy did a blind triangle taste test to compare gelatine and biofine in a honey kolsch

They used 12 tasters and drank out of opaque cups and the statistics weren't signifcant.

Yes.

You guys don't know anything. Brulosophy did a blind triangle taste test to compare gelatine and biofine in a honey kolsch

They used 12 tasters and drank out of opaque cups and the statistics weren't signifcant.

Yes.
12 tasters who were blind drunk sitting in a triangle?

I looked on an American pro-brewer forum and they use heaps of it nowadays, almost exclusively for clearing out brite tanks at microbreweries, they report 24 hour crystal clear. I'd expect it would be a lot less effective adding it to beer straight after primary fermentation, but for polishing up beer that's been cold conditioning for a while it's a real eye opener for me.

We've been using it for all our beers. Around 750-1000ppm after CC'ing for a day or so with great results.
Still plenty of yeast left to bottle condition.
And our Pilsner - no filtration - crystal clear! Even kegs that have sat in the keg room at 18C for a month or 2 then chilled again - zero haze.

I used isinglass on my homebrew set up with great results, but biofine clear is already in liquid form and much easier to use. Just make sure it is thoroughly mixed.

Not recommended for repitches, we us 4.5l per 60 hl, recircing with Co2 to distribute through the tanks. Fall rare is 5m a day which the height of our tanks.

Also goes under stabisol or brausol. The Kerry product thru bintani is expensive compared to the others.

When I worked at Davis Gelatine in 1989 , we sold liquid gelatine called Liquifine and Superfine to the wine industry.
I don't know what happened to it.

And another legend is born. 40 hours in keg.

Biofine 2.jpg

Thanks for the comments, especially ///
I'm about to start fermenting under pressure in a cornie and transferring to a second one. Plan A had been to fine in the primary before transferring, then CC and serve in the second one.

Of course that has now been demoted to plan Z as I'll be reculturing in most cases.

Bribie....is that the image of god I can see shining within that beer?

Latest posts

Back