Biofine Clear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krz

Reaction score
Have been using gelatin for a few brews now, and I have loved the result for clearing the beer.
Usually, I added the gelatin mix in the fermenter, just after fermentation was complete, and before I crash cooled.

This time, I used Biofine clear for the first time.
Instead of adding it to the fermenter, I added a tablespoon of Biofine to the keg prior to transfer.
2 days later, I poured off 500ml, then the picture attached here is the result.
Pretty impressed.
biofine beer.jpg

Attachments

• biofine beer.jpg
    biofine beer.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 90
Very nice krz. I used Delta fine (same thing I believe) for the first time with a reasonably dark ale. I did use it in the keg but wondered if I should have used it in the fermenter when i chilled it down before kegging. Anywho, it did clear very quickly. One keg was crystal clear but the other had some small hop residue from dry hopping the fermenter. For the princely sum of $3-4 for for two kegs it was worth the experiment. I mainly tried it because it is supposed to stabilise and extend the shelf life of the beer.

Biofine and deltafine are both isinglass finings, but this is a discussion about Biofine Clear which is a colloidal solution of silicic acid.

Have been using gelatin for a few brews now, and I have loved the result for clearing the beer.
Usually, I added the gelatin mix in the fermenter, just after fermentation was complete, and before I crash cooled.

This time, I used Biofine clear for the first time.
Instead of adding it to the fermenter, I added a tablespoon of Biofine to the keg prior to transfer.
2 days later, I poured off 500ml, then the picture attached here is the result.
Pretty impressed.View attachment 115740

Hey krz

Curious about when you added it to the keg? Do you do closed loop transfers by chance? I have a fermentasarus with pressure kit and so when I sanitise the keg I push the sanitiser out through the dip tube so I am left with just CO2 in the keg.

Curious as to how I could still maintain this but get Clear into the keg. Is it possible to use a carb cap to reverse force the liquid in?

Latest posts

Back