Biodegradability/environmental Effects Of Cleaners And Sanitisers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

Just shaking myself off after a cow of a day in the brewhouse....

For the BOD, the enzymes will digest as what they are set out to do (in this wash biofilm) and then any associated items. This leaves the elements of those items, and will leave what was holding onto the biofilm. For the test circuits, this was excess proteins and tannins, which flaked off in massive chunks. Hot caustic can have reverse effect of scoring items onto surfaces rather than removing, that was definately the case in one test site (mine), and requiring so much chase out water (no rinse if used standalone). After 8 hours the enzymes are programs to digest themselves if any are still left.

Our site has a regular 80c 2% caustic rinse and 90-120 min run off via heatex. We did the first remediation and removed about 5l of black burnt protein chunks, which continued to come out of the system for days and droped to a 60 min run off, where the pump had to be slowed cos' the glycol could not keep up with the flow.

This product is a change of thought particularly for micro brewers who are used to simply dumping down caustic the drain. This is coming to an end for many with the focus on pH and BOD levels of what is going down drains. But literally last week was the first chance to start getting out there and rattling the cages. Will also be at the IBD Confernece in March to bang our drum.

Scotty

hmm - interesting. We are having a bit of trouble with heat exchangers needing to be pulled apart too regularly, CIPs just not doing the job properly. I might point the Departmental brewer at this stuff. Could you PM me some commercial details please?

TB

Back