Closed Loop Sanitising/cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortz

Reaction score
I would like to reuse as much of my water from all my brewing processes as possible, usually to water plants so i would like to ask advice about how to achieve this without killing the plants or putting harmful compounds into the soil.

1. Sodium Percarbonate - Na2CO3

Source: Napisan, 'Oxidising' bleach
Neutraliser: Acetic Acid (Vinegar)

2. Chlorine based bleaches

Source: White king
Neutraliser: ??

3. Idophor

Source: Brewshops
Neutraliser: ??

4. Peroxide - H202
Source: Hair Dying products, commercial
Neutraliser: Heat, ??

Basically what i'm looking for is using a combination of these products (or others) to try and reuse as much water as possible.

My idea was to transfer the cleaning water into a plastic tub and then either leave it or treat it using available household products to then put onto the garden.

What do you think?

I reuse all of the water from my brewing process. The only cleaning agents I use are napisan, iodophor, hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol. None of them have killed nay of my plants yet ;)

I also dump yeast slurry and kettle break material on my garden, great nutrients in that stuff!

I reuse all of the water from my brewing process. The only cleaning agents I use are napisan, iodophor, hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol. None of them have killed nay of my plants yet ;)

I also dump yeast slurry and kettle break material on my garden, great nutrients in that stuff!

I dump the slurry on my plants at the moment, how much (roughly) of each of the chemicals you use to clean or sterilise?

The Iodophor, and Isopropyl are sprayed on with a squirt bottle. The hydrogen peroxide I guess a few tablespoons into the fermentor. I use them all as no-rinse sanatiser.

As for the napisan, it depends on the amount of Sodium Percarbonate in it. I use the Aldi brand stuff which is about 25% and I only need about half a teaspoon to clean the fermentor or keg thoroughly. If you use the 2% stuff I would use considerably (tablespoon or more) more to be sure it is doing it's job properly.

Napi-San and Peroxide are both very safe..

The Peroxide will basically be water when you have finished with it, and the Napi-san breaks down to sodium carbonate and oxygen, both are garden freindly

Bleach could be a problem, but generally the chlorine will evaporate out

Iodine should also be safe

Basically as long as you dont use strong solutions, everything should be OK..

And yeast trub is great for the garden as it supplies nutrients

B)

Starsan is ment to be very garden safe as well. is no rinse, only need 1ml/litre and its reusable.

is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid.

even safe for pouring down the drain if you have a septic tank!

Back