Ferm Fridge Mod - Ales And Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niggles

Reaction score
G'day All,

OK, all this talk of Fridgemates [post="411990"]here[/post], and a string of scorchers all round the country have prompted me to pull the finger out & post a few pics of my modified fermentation fridge setup.

So, after setting up the old fridge and doing a few months worth of brews, I decided that:
  1. lagers take too damned long
  2. lagers can prevent tasty ales being fermented at controlled temps in summer
  3. the freezer compartment is too cold to cold-coldition. :(
A few ideas later and I'm off to the big-green-monopoly-hardware-store for a few bits.... a cheap indoor fountain pump, a few metres of copper & some PVC tube.

Someone's probably done something similar before, but thought this might be worthwhile to post anyway....

The setup consists of a plastic recycling bin full of water being circulated through a cooling loop in the (otherwise unused) freezer. Here are a couple pics:

alebath.jpg
General setup

heat_exchanger.jpg
Modified freezer with heat exchanger

door_mod.jpg
Door mod to accomodate cooling lines

pump.jpg
Indoor fountain pump (12V, 500lph)

lagers.jpg
Please forgive me for the mexican... I promise its not mine...I'm keeping it cool & fresh for a friend...
Anyway I'm nearly ready to go to the dark side....thanks for spending my K. Rudd bonus on pots & burners, Butters! :beer:

Ok, so since the fridge and freezer are run off the same compressor & circuit, the Fridgemate control of the lagers results in pretty damn good "indirect" control of the ale temp.... The hotter the ambient, the more the fridge runs & hence the more the freezer is cooling the bath. I have found that I am able to easily maintain temps in the "ale bath" as low as 15deg & up to 20deg, depending on some tweaks. At the same time I'm keeping two in-fridge fermenters at the Fridgemate set temp (12deg).

Over the past few weeks the temps in the garage have hit 35-40deg, so the ability to keep two lagers & an ale all happy is sweet. At the moment I've got a Belgian Wit fermenting happily; here's a log of the temps over the past few days:

Wit_log.jpg
Not bad in terms of temp control. Improvement possible!

So far I've only done tests on a few control variables (apart from the fridge set temp). These ones seem to be most important:
  • Total volume of water in the bath; the more the warmer (though less water obviously gives higher temp fluctuations)
  • Setup of the copper coil in the freezer, e.g. immersing it in a stockpot full of water increases conduction/cooling efficiency as long as the stockpot surface area is large. Salty water in the stockpot may help.
  • Insulation around the bath is important. A doona and an old exercise mat that the dog half ate help.
  • Fridge & freezer control knobs I'm assuming the controls divert cooling capacity via some sort of proportioning valve in the coolant circuit (can anyone confirm this?). This allows the extra freezer cooling to reduce the ale temp independently of the fridgemate setting.
  • Pump flow rate will change the system slightly, but according to my guestimation shouldn't be critical.
A few other points/potential improvements are:
  • It is possible to cool down to say 15-16 & then use an aquarium heater or similar to adjust up to 17-18deg as needed. This dual control will result in excellent temp stability, but being an engineer (can you tell? :D ), I don't like the poor efficiency of this solution! It's like burning coal to make steam to make electricity to power a de-sal plant to make water to water the garden & flush the toilet with! Or like the oil-wells/power-stations/indoor-ski-range in the middle of a desert (Dubai). Well...not quite.
  • Additional baths could be set up in series, i.e. the cooling water pumped between two or more containers. Additional insulation and freezer power would be required. My guess is the fridge might consume an extra 25% power or so, depending on insulation. I will have to test this out....hmmmm, more beer!
  • Obviously, anti-microbial measures as per other bath setups are a good idea, especially if your fermenter has a tap. Note that overly acidic/oxidising/corrosive solutions like Star-san, bleach/vinegar etc will cause the copper to corrode. Salty water may be a better option, inhibiting growth of nasties as well as improving thermal capacity & cooling efficiency. I'm pretty careful with my taps & seal them with a small rubber bung as well as spraying with Star San.
  • Additional electronic control could be used (e.g. another fridgemate controlling the pump). If the pump is stopped for long periods, the water in the loop may freeze again salty water may solve this. Given my results so far I'm happy with one fridgemate.
  • A small difference between the bath temp & beer temp is to be expected (see linky above). I expect the additional specific heat and conduction between the water & the fermenter would make this effect much less than for a fermenter sitting in a fridge (i.e. much<1deg). Note this also makes the beer temp a lot closer to the bath temp, so beer temp fluctuations are higher.
  • In my setup, the heat input from the cooling loop raises the temp in the freezer to around +3deg... perfect for additional cold-storage/conditioning. Before the loop was installed, the freezer easily froze water.
  • I need to think my way around some issues like need for D-rests or lagering periods screwing with the ale bath temp. Any thoughts? Maybe good scheduling will do.
So there it is... hopefully someone might find this useful. Will keep experimenting and provide results/updates if they prove interesting.

Cheers,
Niggles.

Nice work Niggles.
Would you be able to post a picture of the ale bath. You have got my brain ticking now. All this hot weather has slowed down my production and taken a toll on my bottled beer due to kegerator (chest freezer) now being used for fermenting.
I also need to do this on a larger scale to cool down the pool (water was 32 degrees yesterday), but cooling 60000L may take a bit more than a freezer and small pump.

Nice work Niggles.
Would you be able to post a picture of the ale bath. You have got my brain ticking now. All this hot weather has slowed down my production and taken a toll on my bottled beer due to kegerator (chest freezer) now being used for fermenting.
I also need to do this on a larger scale to cool down the pool (water was 32 degrees yesterday), but cooling 60000L may take a bit more than a freezer and small pump.

Hi Gregor,

Yep, supposed to get to 44 here today... not good for fermenting or conditioning beer! Without this setup I'd be using a fair few bottles of ice to keep the temp to 18. The beauty of it is that it's pretty much set & forget.

Bath.jpg

Bath_internal.jpg

You could use easily use something similar for conditioning bottles. From memory, this 60L container (~$12 @ Bunnings) will hold something like 60 smallies or 28 longnecks.

Cheers, Niggles.

Hi Gregor,

Yep, supposed to get to 44 here today... not good for fermenting or conditioning beer! Without this setup I'd be using a fair few bottles of ice to keep the temp to 18. The beauty of it is that it's pretty much set & forget.

View attachment 24585

View attachment 24584

You could use easily use something similar for conditioning bottles. From memory, this 60L container (~$12 @ Bunnings) will hold something like 60 smallies or 28 longnecks.

Cheers, Niggles.

sorry niggles but am i missing something here, well done as far as plumbing gadgetry etc,looks really cool, but wouldnt a tempmate be a lot easier /cheaper /quicker/versatile.or am i missing the point somwhere, 'nice job though"
fergi

sorry niggles but am i missing something here, well done as far as plumbing gadgetry etc,looks really cool, but wouldnt a tempmate be a lot easier /cheaper /quicker/versatile.or am i missing the point somwhere, 'nice job though"
fergi

I think the point he is stating is that his lagers are taking up fridge space for quite some time and he has just made up his modification so he can have an ale brewing at the same time out of the fridge(but keeping it at appropriate temperatures aswell.. ;)

I would just get another fridge..

It's like burning coal to make steam to make electricity to power a de-sal plant to make water to water the garden & flush the toilet with! Or like the oil-wells/power-stations/indoor-ski-range in the middle of a desert (Dubai).

...or like putting over half a ton of batteries and electric motors into a car to make it 'more efficient', when a simple turbo diesel (soon to be turbo and supercharged deisel) still kicks the stuffing out of it in real-world economy, price, and grin factor. :D

Good tinkering there, niggles! I'm literally almost speechless...best setup I've seen in ages, or at least the most ingenious. Might just have to do something like that myself - I've even got 12' of 1/2" lying around waiting to do something and a bar fridge with an (almosy) empty freezer section waiting to have something put in it...

I like the ingenuity. Sure beats rotating frozen bottles like I have to!

...or like putting over half a ton of batteries and electric motors into a car to make it 'more efficient', when a simple turbo diesel (soon to be turbo and supercharged deisel) still kicks the stuffing out of it in real-world economy, price, and grin factor. :D

Good tinkering there, niggles! I'm literally almost speechless...best setup I've seen in ages, or at least the most ingenious. Might just have to do something like that myself - I've even got 12' of 1/2" lying around waiting to do something and a bar fridge with an (almosy) empty freezer section waiting to have something put in it...

+1 on the diesel v half ton of batteries! It'll be a different story for hydrogen fuel cells though...as long as we can generate the hydrogen with green electricity! Forget outdated hybrids & develop fuel cells now.

Fergi, sorry the long post might've been hard to follow...
As clean brewer suggests my aim was to setup ale capacity while a couple lagers ferment/condition at controlled temps (see the fridgemate fluctuation link [post="411990"]here[/post]). I've only got space for one fridge, so this setup allows me to achieve this at a relatively small cost/effort, using only an addition to a single standard frigde/fridgemate. Simple, controlled, set & forget.

Crikey...it's 40deg in the garage already. Wit is happy at 18 though :beer:

+1 on the diesel v half ton of batteries! It'll be a different story for hydrogen fuel cells though...as long as we can generate the hydrogen with green electricity! Forget outdated hybrids & develop fuel cells now.

Fergi, sorry the long post might've been hard to follow...
As clean brewer suggests my aim was to setup ale capacity while a couple lagers ferment/condition at controlled temps (see the fridgemate fluctuation link [post="411990"]here[/post]). I've only got space for one fridge, so this setup allows me to achieve this at a relatively small cost/effort, using only an addition to a single standard frigde/fridgemate. Simple, controlled, set & forget.

Crikey...it's 40deg in the garage already. Wit is happy at 18 though :beer:

yes i see now, as i said very intersting setup, so do you do lagers and ales like that very often
fergi

I like the ingenuity. Sure beats rotating frozen bottles like I have to!

true that my friend

i am going to cruise to the second hand shop and get a fermenting fridge soon, save stuffin around with frozen bottles

cheers
carty

i was trying to think up something along these lines today. yours has come out way better than what i was thinking up for mine though.

i have a question though. why is your airlock on a piece of hose away from the fermenter?

Latest posts

Back