Big Post Of Water Around Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brisbane Brewers

For those who use tap water for brewing and live in Zone 2 of the Water Grid (see SEQ Water Grid Manager website to clarify your zone), attached is a chem analysis of the water. The sample point is from the North side from the Mt Crosby water treatment plant which is representative of the north side of Brisbane.

The key conclusions are that Calcium and Magnesium levels are relatively low and exhibit low variance.... in fact unless you are brewing IPAs, you may wish to consider adding brewing salts. Chlorides and Sulphates do exhibit some variance but sulphates are at managable levels. For chlorides, note that the sample point is close to the source of disinfection and chloride levels tend to attentuate as it makes its way through the water distribution and reticuation systems, especially in areas where the pipework is old.

I have asked if this information can be posted on the QUU website and they are considering this.

Cheers
5 Eyes

View attachment SP23_Chem_Data.xlsx

Brisbane Brewers

For those who use tap water for brewing and live in Zone 2 of the Water Grid (see SEQ Water Grid Manager website to clarify your zone), attached is a chem analysis of the water. The sample point is from the North side from the Mt Crosby water treatment plant which is representative of the north side of Brisbane.

The key conclusions are that Calcium and Magnesium levels are relatively low and exhibit low variance.... in fact unless you are brewing IPAs, you may wish to consider adding brewing salts. Chlorides and Sulphates do exhibit some variance but sulphates are at managable levels. For chlorides, note that the sample point is close to the source of disinfection and chloride levels tend to attentuate as it makes its way through the water distribution and reticuation systems, especially in areas where the pipework is old.

I have asked if this information can be posted on the QUU website and they are considering this.

Cheers
5 Eyes

Not sure if its just me, but i cant open the attatched file properly once downloaded... hmm.

sim

yeah it is actually excel 2007 ... you may be able to get a excel viewer ... i'll see if i can convert it or post jpegs

5 eyes

Here is a jpeg of the graphical results .... i can't get the actual data because Bill Gates will not let me copy and save into MS98

Zone2_08_10.jpg

Ballarat City (white swan res.)

Monochloromine 2.6mg/L
Flouride .86mg/L
Hardness 85mg/L
Alkalinity 40mg/L
Calcium 17mg/L
Magnesium 10mg/L
Potassium 2mg/L
Sodium 25mg/L
pH 7.5

I put a sample of tap water through our lab at work and got some results. The results I got from the Watercorp showed a large range (attached).

This is for Perth water. Specifically "Hills" Locality (Canning Vale)

pH = 7.6
Ca = 21
Mg = 5
TH = 26 Therefore Total Hardness as CaCO3 = 83 (21/20 + 5/12.1 x 50)
Na = 26

These are really the only useful results.

Now to work out what I need to do with them... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Mat.

View attachment PM__3305474_v1_Hills_Direct_2010.PDF

I got the West Yokine (WA) water report.. can anyone suggest how much calcium sulphate I should be adding? Is there anything severly lacking I should look out for?

Edit: I fooled around with the EZ water calculator and from what I could figure out 10g of calcium sulphate looked good.. (did look like it was low in magnesium) but I am not sure if I need to modify anything for BIAB (First BIAB is going to be a lager)

water.png

Sunshine Coast 2006:
Gannawarra St, results detailed below

pH 7.50
Free Chlorine 0.12mg/L
Dissolved Oxygen 5.30mg/L
Turbidity 0.22NTU
TDS 84.8mg/L
Dissolved Sulphide 0.01mg/L
Hardness 60mg/L
Chloride 26mg/L
Iron 0.005mg/L
Manganese 0.003mg/L
Aluminium 0.002mg/L
Zinc 0.02mg/L
Copper 0.02mg/L
Chromium 0.02mg/L
Nickel 0.02mg/l
Calcium 15.0 mg/L
Sodium 10.8 mg/L
Magnesium 3.7 mg/L
Bicarbonate 39.0 mg/L
Sulphate 15.0 mg\L

Sunshine Coast 2006:
In the Buddina region, the closest monitoring site is at a park along Nicklin Way between Koorin Drive and Lutana St. The results for this site are as follows:-

pH 7.70
Residual Chlorine 0.30 mg/L
Dissolved Oxygen 4.80 mg/L
Turbidity 0.45 NTU
TDS 82 mg/L
Dissolved Sulfide <0.01 mg/L
Hardness 62 mg/L as CaCO3
Chloride 23 mg/L
Sulphate 15 mg/L
Iron 0.003 mg/L
Manganese 0.002 mg/L
Aluminium 0.014 mg/L
Zinc 0.01 mg/L
Copper 0.004mg/L
Chromium <0.01 mg/L
Nickel <0.01 mg/L
Sodium 10.57 mg/L

Gympie 2009:
Jones Hill Water Treatment Plant

Conductivity (uS/cm at25C) 298
pH at 20"C 7.34
Total Hardness* (as CaCO3) 61
Temporary Hardness* (mg/L CaCO3) 48
Alkalinity (mg/L 48
Residual Alkalinity (meq/L) 0.0
Silica (mg/L) 16
Total Dissolved lons* (mg/L) 178
Total Dissolved Solids* (mg/L) 164
True Colour <1
Turbidity (NTU) 4
pH Sat.* (calc. for CaCO3) 8.8
Saturation lndex -1.5
Mole Ratio* 3.0
Sodium Absorpt. Ratio* 1.7
Figure of Merit Ratio* 0.9

CATIONS
Sodium Na+ 31
Potassium K+ 1.7
Calcium Ca++ 9.3
Magnesium Mg++ 9.1
Hydrogen* H+ 0.0

ANIONS '
Bicarbonate* HCO3 58
Carb0nate* CO3 0.1
Hydroxide* OH 0.0
Chloride Cl 44
Fluoride <0.1
Nitrate NO3 1.2
Sulphate SO4 24

OTHER DISSOLVED ELEMENTS
Iron Fe 0.01
Manganese Mn <0.01
Zinc Zn <0.01
Aluminium Al <0.05
Boron B 0.02
Copper Cu 0.03

G'day mate. What site did you get this info I'm keen on an updated report?

Rockhampton @ May 2011...

pH - 7.96

turbitity - 1.4 NTU
Hardness (CaCO3) - 84mg/L
Alkalinity - 78mg/L
Sulfate as SO4 2 - 11mg/L
Chloride - 34 mg/L
Calcium - 19mg/L
Magnesium - 9mg/L
Sodium - 24mg/L
Potassium - 4mg/L
Copper - 0.006mg/L
Lead - <0.001mg/L
Manganese - <0.001mg/L
Zinc - <0.005 mg/L
Iron - <0.05 mg/L
Fluoride - 0.8mg/L
Nitrate - 0.26mg/L

...I read that mg/L naturally converts to ppm (1mg/L = 1 ppm), so that's all I did for my profile in Beersmith?

Mount Isa (Parkside) @ July 2011

pH 6.3

Calcium 14.2 ppm
Magnesium 8.44 ppm
Sodium 34.8 ppm
Sulphate 84.0 ppm
Chloride 57.0 ppm
Bicarbonate (CaCO3) 76.0 ppm

Got some water reports today for Brisbane and surrounds

SEQ Water Grid Manager
The Customer Confidence Report represents test results of bulk water quality across the SEQ Water Grid.
The more appropriate water quality test results that you are seeking are the test results from the water quality that you get at your tap.
In that case, since you are referring to Zone 3 (that includes Redlands), you will need to contact Allconnex and request their water quality results for those parameters as the SEQ Water Grid only handles bulk water.

Links from Allconnex
Drinking water distribution system water quality Gold Coast district
Drinking water distribution system water quality Logan district
Drinking water distribution system water quality Redland district
Drinking water distribution system water quality Jimboomba district

Allconnex Water Quality

Back