Big Post Of Water Around Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rpinky said:
Water report attached for the Armadale / Kelmscott locality in Perth WA. October 2015.
A bit more detailed than whats in the general report available on their website (actually shows Magnesium & Sulphate levels)

attachicon.gif
DWQ_ArmKelm2015.pdf

Salty..

Calcium sulphate is about all you could use

Better off R/O ing it

Better than my water though Melville WA

Mount Crosby (Brisbane) Water Report

In regards to your enquiry, please find below the typical results for Mt Crosby for the parameters requested. I’ve used data from 1 January 2015 through to today.

CaCO3 – I’ve assumed this is meaning total hardness as Ca CO3 – range of about 80 to 125 mg/L average of about 115 mg/L
SO4 – range of about 23 to 33 mg/L average of about 26 mg/L
Cl – range of about 45 to 130 mg/L average of about 67 mg/L
Ca – range of about 19 to 28 mg/L average of about 24 mg/L
Mg – range of about 12 to 16 mg/L average of about 14 mg/L
Na – range of about 35 to 51 mg/L average of about 39 mg/L
Well, that explains why sometimes I end up with harsh salty beer at times... I've got 45mg/L of Cl- in my Beersmith water tool but Mt Crosby varies alarmingly... Whelp, I guess I'm going to have to stick to Calcium Sulphate additions...

I emailed QUU and they emailed me a detailed report for my address in Acacia Ridge QLD.

Spreadsheet they sent me attached. Hope it helps someone.

QUU were pretty good, took about 2 weeks to get it to me, but contains everything I asked for.

Now to play with my water...

View attachment Acacia Ridge.xlsx

tj2204 said:
I emailed QUU and they emailed me a detailed report for my address in Acacia Ridge QLD.

Spreadsheet they sent me attached. Hope it helps someone.

QUU were pretty good, took about 2 weeks to get it to me, but contains everything I asked for.

Now to play with my water...
Legend! Thanks a lot for this, you have saved me the trouble.

For anyone interested I have attached the most recent report of water quality for Strathdale, Bendigo.

Unfortunately they have only stated hardness and not the concentrations of Ca and Mg respectively. I have asked if Coliban can provide these numbers separately.

Perhaps of particular note is the drop in ion concentration across the board in the December averages.

View attachment Water Quality Summary.pdf

Hi Dr,

I'm in Epsom and searched the Coliban site a couple of years ago and found the 2012/2013 annual report which had all their water quality results taken quarterly for the year. The later annual reports don't include the water quality data now. The results were similar to the December values you are showing, and not near the other three and were reasonably consistent for Bendigo North and South, Epsom/Huntly and Strathfieldsaye.

The numbers I took from the report are as follows:
Ca 28, Mg 13.5, Na 18, K 0, SO4 4.0, Cl 35, Alkalinity 70

Thanks Manticle.

Dozer: If you're interested I've asked for a suburb by suburb breakdown of the water quality with Ca and Mg ion concentrations. I'll let you know how I go.

Dr_Rocks said:
Thanks Manticle.

Dozer: If you're interested I've asked for a suburb by suburb breakdown of the water quality with Ca and Mg ion concentrations. I'll let you know how I go.
That would be great.

Cheers.

btrots87 said:
Any NSW Central Coast brewers interested I've attached the water report for Wyong and Gosford regions.

attachicon.gif
Central Coast Water Report 2015-2016.pdf
I found the water up here to have such wild fluctuations. I've had sodium go from 20ppm to 50ppm from one week to next. I can say is that the water profile up here is good for accentuating malt and darker beers with reasonable levels of chloride.

That's interesting, only moved up a few weeks ago and did my first brews on the weekend. Noticed my efficiency was 5 to 10 percent lower than at my old place, but didn't bother to check mash pH or anything. Will be interesting to try the finished product in a few weeks, and next brew I'll dig out the pH meter.

btrots87 said:
That's interesting, only moved up a few weeks ago and did my first brews on the weekend. Noticed my efficiency was 5 to 10 percent lower than at my old place, but didn't bother to check mash pH or anything. Will be interesting to try the finished product in a few weeks, and next brew I'll dig out the pH meter.
Worth checking with a meter, I was too used to the consistency of Sydney water before I moved up a while ago.

Check out central coast brewers, there are a few of us up here that brew fairly regularly. I've posted some readings from my Brewlab kit before I moved to RO.

fungrel said:
Worth checking with a meter, I was too used to the consistency of Sydney water before I moved up a while ago.

Check out central coast brewers, there are a few of us up here that brew fairly regularly. I've posted some readings from my Brewlab kit before I moved to RO.
Whats this central coast brewers? i want in on the action :)

A year on and SAWater now allow punters to put in their Postcode and the data most of us brewers want for the districts water supply. It only provides the years average, but looking at it compare to the previous years it is fairly consistent and if anything the alkalinity, sodium level and total hardness have dropped slightly.

Below is the relevant Central Metro data (Adelaide CBD, southern and western suburbs), but for those that want to check out the water data for their postcode they now can (as opposed to the last few years). It doesn't do all of SA that gets mains water though (I checked for Pt Lincoln and Pt Augusta) so no luck for country folk, though you may be better off using rain water anyway by the time it gets through all that piping! :blink:

Relevant data as shown below reflects average values between Apr 2016 to Apr 2017. If you want more go to the above link.

Parameter Units Average Value
Alkalinity mg/L 44.0
Bicarbonate mg/L 53.5
Calcium mg/L 20.67
Carbonate mg/L 0.0
Chloride mg/L 71.6
Chlorine Residual^ mg/L 0.3
Hardness mg/L 90
Iron mg/L 0.008
Magnesium mg/L 9.22
Manganese mg/L 0.001
pH pH units 7.3
Potassium mg/L 3.55
Sodium mg/L 39.26
Sulphate mg/L 39.2
Turbidity NTU 0.2
Zinc mg/L 0.004

Here's the latest water report from Unity Water for Queensland regions taking in Pine Rivers, Caboolture, Redcliffe, Sunshine Coast and Kenilworth . The current report (2015 - 2016) has more information that is relevant to home brewers than in previous years.

This screen shot is for the Sunshine Coast region.

upload_2017-7-3_20-37-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-3_20-27-21.png
    upload_2017-7-3_20-27-21.png
    336.9 KB · Views: 141
Just gonna throw it out there as I'm having astringency issues with IPA's and Pales in Hilton, Fremantle, but not a Black IPA. What is the water profile? and what is normal?? What do I need to do to stop this astringency?????? HELP!!

Latest posts

Back