Big Post Of Water Around Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking of having one of these water tests completed so I know exactly what I have at my outlet. Anyone had something similar done. I realise its going to vary throughout the year but would be interesting to see if its even close to what the water company supply.

http://appslabs.com.au/index.php?main_page...products_id=256

I sent my water to the University of Minnesota when we built the house. We have a 68M deep well. It is very good with just a tiny hint of calcium and iron. We went 2 years without a water softener. I don't know what you call them there, water conditioners? With my sodastream, Perrier can kiss my asterisk

For brewing I take the water before conditioning. Same circuit as the garden spigot.

Has anyone obtained a more recent profile for South Perth/Kewdale?

I'm trying to get a hold of some contacts to get a copy..

Was given these numbers for Toowoomba water coming from the Mt Kynoch treatment plant.

The median for 2012-13 data (results generally deviate little from the medium in these data)

Calcium - 12mg/L
Magnesium - 10.5mg/L
Bicarbonate - 58 mg/L
Sulphate - 1.3 mg/L
Sodium - 11.5 mg/L
Chloride - 32.2 mg/L

The artesian bores that used to feed into the water supply are now decommisioned and the basalt bores only supply some localised areas apparently.

Stormahead said:
Has anyone obtained a more recent profile for South Perth/Kewdale?

I'm trying to get a hold of some contacts to get a copy..
I've just emailed off a request for a report, I'm in Bentley so should cover the same area. Will post it when it arrives; :)

Cheers

Bendigo , Victoria 3550 - 6 June 2011 Report

Concentration (mg/L)

Calcium : 18.3
Magnesium : 13.5
Sulphate : 8.3
Sodium : 28.6
Chloride : 59.2
Biacarbonate : not monitored

Cheers

-Gav

After searching a while, I finally found where the Sydney results are [now] stored. All the old links put up here are obsolete. If you trundle over to this page and pick your local supply system, you should be able to pull up the typical analysis for your area.

Found a water report for kwinana on west coast brew crew site. So if anyone dids it can post here.

Orange, NSW water. This isn't from the council, this was privately tested from a blend of two samples I got from the kitchen tap.

Metals - tested to CA14106. If not listed, concentration is <0.01mg/l

Calcium 9.9 mg/l
Copper 0.02 mg/l
Magnesium 7.1 mg/l
Potassium 3 mg/l
Silica (Si02) 4.9 mg/l
Sodium 10 mg/l
Zinc 0.03 mg/l
Total hardness: 54.0 mg\l

Anions - test method CA15000

Chloride (Cl) 14 mg/l
Sulfate (SO4) 4 mg/l

Alkalinity - test method CA12121

Total alkalinity (CaCO3) 53 mg/l
Phenolphthalein alkalinity (CaCO3) <25 mg/l

pH @ 25°C 7.4

Time to venture into the wonder of water treatment. Looks like a nice clean slate anyway.

Berry, Nowra & Northern Shoalhaven NSW mid 2014

ppm.

Ca 22
Mg 3.3
Na 10.3
Cl 18.7
SO4 16.6
HCO3 55.2

Alkalinity 45.7
pH 7.97

These are mean values but the anion/cation imbalance is only 0.02 meq/L so it's pretty balanced.

Probably need to add Calcium to bring it up to 50 - 100 ppm as either CaSO4 or CaCl2 depending on your desired SO4/Cl ratio.

Dave

Wow Cervantes that does look like some absolutely rubbish water you have to battle with there, damn.

Latest posts

Back