Big Post Of Water Around Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes there will be a response but it appears to be about a week away from publication, I am assured (I have it in writing).

HD

I just ordered a copy of the water report for the South Perth/Como area, will post when I get the email.

When you guys work out your mineral additions do you use the median value? Ie if a range of say calcium was stated as being 13 - 21ppm would you use a value of 17ppm?

Edit - typo

That report doesnt tell you much - look at the range of alkalinity! Better have a PH meter handy on brewday!

Yeah I planned on getting ph strips anyway, from what I've read its best to measure PH at mash in then make your salt additions accordingly. Would be nice to know the mean values of the readings, its probably just the odd anomolies that put the high and low samples so far apart.

For Zone 2 SEQ;

Howard
these figures are from our last quarter April1 to June 30
the current quarter is not available yet
The yearly figures will be updated shortly
I have asked if this format can be changed to quarterly figures and this request is being
considered.
Mean in mg/L or ppm
Ca 23
Mg 9.2
Na 3.5
SO4 29
Cl 38

Hardness 96
PH 7.8

regards
Don

You don't happen to know the boundaries of Zone 2 SEQ at all do you HD?

Kev

Yeah I planned on getting ph strips anyway, from what I've read its best to measure PH at mash in then make your salt additions accordingly. Would be nice to know the mean values of the readings, its probably just the odd anomolies that put the high and low samples so far apart.

The range is there because in Perth the water sources are switched/mixed throughout the year. From bore, to dam, etc.
Its hard to calculate salt additions based on mash PH. Easiest thing to do with your water is add Gypsum to bump up the calcium, and balance out the high chloride with some sulfates. Then you will need acid additions to drop the PH in the mash. Also watch the liquor to grist ratio with alkaline water - too much water and it gets pretty tough to drop the PH.

Gympie 17-May-2010
Jones Hill Water Treatment Plant

Conductivity (uS/cm at25C) 381
pH at 21C 7.59
Total Hardness* (as CaCO3) 93
Temporary Hardness* (mg/L CaCO3) 74
Alkalinity (mg/L CaCO3) 74
Residual Alkalinity (meq/L) 0.0
Silica (mg/L) 20
Total Dissolved lons* (mg/L) 235
Total Dissolved Solids* (mg/L) 209

True Colour (Hazen) 3
Turbidity (NTU) 1

pH Sat.* (calc. for CaCO3) 8.4
Saturation lndex -0.8
Mole Ratio* 2.7
Sodium Absorpt. Ratio* 1.7
Figure of Merit Ratio* 1.2

CATIONS
Sodium Na+ 37
Potassium K+ 1.6
Calcium Ca++ 16
Magnesium Mg++ 13
Hydrogen* H+ 0.0

ANIONS
Bicarbonate* HCO3 - 90
Carbonate* CO3 -- 0.2
Hydroxide* OH - 0.0
Chloride Cl 56
Fluoride F- 0.07
Nitrate NO3 0.9
Sulphate SO4 20

OTHER DISSOLVED ELEMENTS
Iron Fe 0.01
Manganese Mn <0.01
Zinc Zn <0.01
Aluminium Al <0.05
Boron B <0.02
Copper Cu 0.09

The range is there because in Perth the water sources are switched/mixed throughout the year. From bore, to dam, etc.
Its hard to calculate salt additions based on mash PH. Easiest thing to do with your water is add Gypsum to bump up the calcium, and balance out the high chloride with some sulfates. Then you will need acid additions to drop the PH in the mash. Also watch the liquor to grist ratio with alkaline water - too much water and it gets pretty tough to drop the PH.

I've been looking at This calculator, basically my idea is that on brew day I should dilute with distilled water then take a ph reading at mash in, then checking with the salt additions to the minimum and maximum values stated in the report to make sure they fall within the reccomended range, do you think this is a good idea or should I get some lactic acid too as a backup?

Petrie water treatment plant Brisbane (annual average)

Ca - 9 ppm
Mg - 4 ppm
Hardness 39 ppm
Na - 30 ppm

That's all I got sorry.

May get water from anywhere in the water grid at present. So water in Petrie area may actually be taken from North Pine, or even further afield dependent on price! In other words it's a lottery which water is currently on tap.

I've been looking at This calculator, basically my idea is that on brew day I should dilute with distilled water then take a ph reading at mash in, then checking with the salt additions to the minimum and maximum values stated in the report to make sure they fall within the reccomended range, do you think this is a good idea or should I get some lactic acid too as a backup?

It depends on what you are brewing? You can do what I do (for low SRM beers) and that is use distilled water or dilute for the mash only with salt additions and then use normal tap water for the sparge (keeping in mind the SO4 & Cl ratios for the total volume). The pH is fairly broad. I try and aim at 5.2 at mash temp (add .3 if measured at room temp) but happy when it falls between 5.1 to 5.4. I use the average of the Brisbane analysis to determine roughly what the water is good for and generally use salts to get it in the ball park. I have never had to make adjustments with acid (although I do keep citric acid on hand if I do need to). The caveat is I don't try and brew boh pils etc.

The calculator is based on John Palmers Residual Alkalinity Calculation (check out www.howtobrew.com). I have used John Palmer's calc and used to get very obsessed about the RA and SRM and have accurate water analysis which is to be expected as an Engineer. I since read a number of posts on the brewing network forums by AJ Delange and the work by Kai (www.braukaiser.com) and realised that the SRM RA relationship was very broad and loose. It is worth looking at these posts.

If you are really worried you can get test kits from Aquarium stores to determine your hardness and alkalinity. You can also use the 5.2 salts from the sponsors of the site.

Also I found the strips OK but if you are really focussing in on pH get a pH meter.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

It depends on what you are brewing? You can do what I do (for low SRM beers) and that is use distilled water or dilute for the mash only with salt additions and then use normal tap water for the sparge (keeping in mind the SO4 & Cl ratios for the total volume). The pH is fairly broad. I try and aim at 5.2 at mash temp (add .3 if measured at room temp) but happy when it falls between 5.1 to 5.4. I use the average of the Brisbane analysis to determine roughly what the water is good for and generally use salts to get it in the ball park. I have never had to make adjustments with acid (although I do keep citric acid on hand if I do need to). The caveat is I don't try and brew boh pils etc.

The calculator is based on John Palmers Residual Alkalinity Calculation (check out www.howtobrew.com). I have used John Palmer's calc and used to get very obsessed about the RA and SRM and have accurate water analysis which is to be expected as an Engineer. I since read a number of posts on the brewing network forums by AJ Delange and the work by Kai (www.braukaiser.com) and realised that the SRM RA relationship was very broad and loose. It is worth looking at these posts.

If you are really worried you can get test kits from Aquarium stores to determine your hardness and alkalinity. You can also use the 5.2 salts from the sponsors of the site.

Also I found the strips OK but if you are really focussing in on pH get a pH meter.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Thanks for the link.

Thats ok, next batch will be my first testing/adjusting the water so the more info the better. I know I need to drop the ph of my mash a bit, but I think my chloride to sulphate ratio needs attention, I also think it needs more calcium for yeast health

For Zone 2 SEQ;

Howard
these figures are from our last quarter April1 to June 30
the current quarter is not available yet
The yearly figures will be updated shortly
I have asked if this format can be changed to quarterly figures and this request is being
considered.
Mean in mg/L or ppm
Ca 23
Mg 9.2
Na 3.5
SO4 29
Cl 38

Hardness 96
PH 7.8

regards
Don
You are a bloody legend, thanks mate. I haven't had the time to send off an email to SEQ water so thanks for the effort.
Cheers Chucka

Thanks for the link.

Thats ok, next batch will be my first testing/adjusting the water so the more info the better. I know I need to drop the ph of my mash a bit, but I think my chloride to sulphate ratio needs attention, I also think it needs more calcium for yeast health

As they often quote that you need 50ppm Ca in the ferment for good yeast floculation. Not knowing what you are brewing and looking at your water report you are probably going to need to add some gypsum to the mash to get your Ca ppm. You will most likely find that you are going to get pretty close to your pH. Just take notes and re-evaluate the next time.

As they often quote that you need 50ppm Ca in the ferment for good yeast floculation. Not knowing what you are brewing and looking at your water report you are probably going to need to add some gypsum to the mash to get your Ca ppm. You will most likely find that you are going to get pretty close to your pH. Just take notes and re-evaluate the next time.

Yeah I think I will dilute the water for my next batch with about 30% distilled water, mainly to lower the sodium, also as it will be a hoppy beer I will want a fairly low chloride/sulphate ratio as well. although it sodium doesnt exceed the maximum in the recommednded range the article you posted suggested aiming for under 50ppm, so diluting couldn't hurt. I probably wouldn't bother for a maltier brew though. Then maybe just a touch of epsom to restore the magnesium to the level it was at prior to dillution. As you say taking notes and evaluating is going to be the key.

Thankyou for your advice :beer:

edit - I do realise that diluting wont change the chloride to sulphate ratio, just added that to give you the idea of the type of beer i'm brewing. The beer is going to be around 7-8 SRM in colour.

Check this out brewers. Water for Mossman and Port Douglas:

Test Date: 4/11/2010

In mg/L or ppm

Alkalinity (Total CaCO3): 4.2
Calcium: 0.5
Chloride: 7.1
Magnesium: 0.3
pH: 6.9
Sodium: 3.6
Sulphate: 1.8

I love living in paradise :super:

Cheers.

Has anyone ever had their water tested when they had a concrete tank and a tile roof?

Latest posts

Back