Big Post Of Water Around Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, awesome idea, ive been thinking of this just recently.

For everyone being serviced in Victoria by citywest water (western suburbs, CBD and innter eastern just noth of the yarra, collingwood, richmond etc).

Hope you are serviced from the silvian dam like me (Richmond area), expect a water table almost equal to pilsen! gives me a great base to work with!

City West Water Quality Report 2008

cheers!

Considering my subtle hint seems to have been ignored, I'll repeat and clarify:

Put this in the damned AHB Wiki! :)
You see - I'm not putting it in there myself (laziness), but then I'm not making a fuss neither... I've put my effort in by finding results. If you think it's such a great idea to have it in a wiki (which it certainly is)... Go for it.

this is where I got the data for my post from. It's not particularly up to date, and it doesn't quote HCO3 anywhere.
Actually, your post said 2007 data. I added the 2008 data. Incidentally;

Delivery System : Prospect South :: Total Hardness (average) : 50 ppm
Delivery System : Prospect North :: Total Hardness (average) : 50.9 ppm
Delivery System : Prospect East :: Total Hardness (average) : 49.5 ppm

From Wikipedia

The total water 'hardness' (including both Ca2+ and Mg2+ ions) is read as parts per million (ppm) or weight/volume (mg/L) of calcium carbonate (CaCO3) in the water.

I've done a quick search and wasn't asking someone to use google for me, even I'm not that lazy! :p
Well I guess I'll just leave the googling to someone else then, since it's not appreciated. Stuff it.

Didn't mean to offend anyone! just trying to find the bicarbonate levels in my water - am I missing something very basic here? Beersmith asks for a HCO3/bicarbonate value, and I can't seem to find it anywhere on those sheets from Sydney water.

Many thanks for helping out quantum!

divide Alkalinity as CaCO3 by 50 then multiply by 61 all in ppm

Well, seems that I was incorrect in thinking that water hardness (as CaCO3) was exactly equal to bicarbonate. There is a factor of 1.22 (roughly, pH dependent, but this is the number you need) so

bicarbonate = CaCO3 ppm x 1.22 (as matho said) so;

Delivery System : Prospect South :: Total Hardness (average) : 50 ppm :: bicarbonate : 61 ppm
Delivery System : Prospect North :: Total Hardness (average) : 50.9 ppm :: bicarbonate : 62.1 ppm
Delivery System : Prospect East :: Total Hardness (average) : 49.5 ppm :: bicarbonate : 60.4 ppm

If any adelaideans need some numbers from 08 send me a PM. I tested the water myself. Also have the numbers from the northern hills area. I posted it on here some time ago but cant be arsed searching for my own posts. I have the raw data on my comp so happy to share it for those who are interested.

Also tested my rainwater (and my soil)...

divide Alkalinity as CaCO3 by 50 then multiply by 61 all in ppm

Well, seems that I was incorrect in thinking that water hardness (as CaCO3) was exactly equal to bicarbonate. There is a factor of 1.22 (roughly, pH dependent, but this is the number you need) so

bicarbonate = CaCO3 ppm x 1.22 (as matho said) so;

Delivery System : Prospect South :: Total Hardness (average) : 50 ppm :: bicarbonate : 61 ppm
Delivery System : Prospect North :: Total Hardness (average) : 50.9 ppm :: bicarbonate : 62.1 ppm
Delivery System : Prospect East :: Total Hardness (average) : 49.5 ppm :: bicarbonate : 60.4 ppm

Awesome! thanks so much QB. You're an asset to the forum, especially when you put up with noobs like I who don't know the first thing about water chemistry!

Mornington Peninsula,Victoria

Calcium: 3.5 ppm
Sulfate: 1.6 ppm
Magnesium: 1.3 ppm
Chloride: 7.7 ppm
Sodium: 6.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 13.6 ppm
PH: 7.0

Mornington Peninsula,Victoria

Calcium: 3.5 ppm
Sulfate: 1.6 ppm
Magnesium: 1.3 ppm
Chloride: 7.7 ppm
Sodium: 6.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 13.6 ppm
PH: 7.0

Jeddog Thanks for this profile . I had most of the values and used them in a belgium that I brewed last week .The bicarb was the one addition that I was missing . I had the profile for our area but could get the bicarb out of it .

Thanks again .
Buster

Melbourne's big outer catchment's info here (all catchments overseen by Melbourne Water)

I'm astounded that none of the numerous Whyalla AG brewers had put that on here already.

Busy day at work is it mate?

Always busy.

Whyalla tap water is Murray water from the Morgan WTP. It travels via Hanson, Spalding, Helshaby and Port Augusta so I'm sure it will be invaluble to all the AG brewers there.

Hastie Spring Buninyong

Bicarbonate alkalinity 150mgl
Chloride 39mgl
Sulphate 16mgl
Calcium 21mgl
Magnesium 19mgl
Potassium 7.7mgl
Sodium 37mgl

If anyone can find the details of 'Barwon Water' I'd be grateful, as would other brewers of SW Vic.

Ps Yes I've searched their site, just can't be looking in the right places :huh:

Back