Big Chill Coolers As A Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOLIO

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of buying one of these big chill eskys
SMP40orangeangle.jpg

has anyone heard of these and whether they can withstand the heat for use as a mash tun?
this one is 40 litres.
thanks for any responses
from Hoolio

Have you seen the freight prices for these things? Its monstrous!

I was looking at them on Ebay a while ago but decided they weren't what I was looking for. The cubic weight freight charge decided the rest for me!.

Hey mate,

I dunno how cheap this is but these coolers look pretty good from http://www.bcf.com.au/

Couldn't give you a link to it because the online store is done in flash, but I've attached a screenshot of it.

mashtun.jpg

Hey mate,

I dunno how cheap this is but these coolers look pretty good from http://www.bcf.com.au/

Couldn't give you a link to it because the online store is done in flash, but I've attached a screenshot of it.
View attachment 12525

i've got one of these (and so do many others). theyre bloody easy to convert to a mashtun and usually sell between $70 - $80.

i lose on average 0.5c over 60 minutes in mine.

I purchased a 40ltr Big Chill esky from ebay (about $100 including postage from QLD to WA) with the intention of converting it into a Mash Tun. In the end I decided to keep it as an esky and I purchased a 36ltr Keep Cold cooler from BCF (about $80 as mentioned above).

I think that the Big Chill would be better at retaining heat (if you preheated it with some hot water I doubt it would loose any heat over an hour), but I wasn't sure about converting it and building a manifold and hadn't read about anyone using this type of esky as a mash tun.

In the end I decided to go with the Keep Cold because they seem to be what a lot of people are using successfully, they suit the domed ss false bottoms and there is heaps of info on how to convert them, even a step-by-step guide, Link.

Hope that helps,

Cheers!

Thanks for the great posts guys.
I would love to get one of these "Big Chill coolers".
I haven't seen one for sale here in Adelaide.
Has anyone seen these here in Adelaide.
I really prefer to shop in person as opposed to on line.
I would also love to get one of those false bottoms from G & G.
Looks like a great setup.
I have been to heaps of camping stores and loads of shops but havnt seen any coolers like this.
Cheers
From Hoolio

Rays Camping have them in nsw & vic. not sure if the're in sa. i think the're all made in tawain / china and have a 3/4" outlet, so could just get some allpipe & ss braid & a ss tap & bob's your uncle :)

If you upsize it from 40L, you can mash double batches, and use it for a miracle box. Dunno how they hold heat, but if you keep them closed, they only need a bag of ice top up every 2-3 days. Based on this, I assume with a bit of pre-heating they'd be excellent tuns.
Miracle_Box_2_Sml.jpg

That has got to be the most pimping party keg setup i've seen yet! Thats madness....

Back