Big Barleywine Fermented Out In 6 Days?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,
I made a big American BArleywine, with a OG of 1.100, and 6 days laster my refract, with appropriate adjustments says its already at 1.015, ( and its stopped bubbling)
I pitched 2 rehydrated sachets of US56 into 20L. Is this plausible?

i had the same thing with a barleywine last year using W1084. down to 1.013 in about 5 days, unfortunatly it must of had a bit more to go as all the bottles are now gushers unless i chill them right down

-Phill

Sinkas,

What was your ferment temp? Did you pitch onto a yeast cake?

I had a 1.100 RIS ferment out in three days. That baby gave the worst headaches I have ever had.

Keep a packet of Codalgin Plus handy for when you sample it.

cheers

Darren

Hi all,
I made a big American BArleywine, with a OG of 1.100, and 6 days laster my refract, with appropriate adjustments says its already at 1.015, ( and its stopped bubbling)
I pitched 2 rehydrated sachets of US56 into 20L. Is this plausible?

Absolutely, all my big imperials used to only take 5 days (19c). I tend to brew them cooler these days (17c) & they take much longer. The US-56/05 slows up dramtaically at cooler temps in my experience.

Cheers Ross

Ross,
Why did you reduce your ferment temps so much, what was the adverse effect of the higher temps you were finding?

Ross,
Why did you reduce your ferment temps so much, what was the adverse effect of the higher temps you were finding?

No problem with high temps other than an overactive krausen. US-56/05 is suppossed to increase citrus notes with low temps, so do all my APA's this way, heating up to 21c towards the end of ferment.

Cheers Ross

11% from a dried yeast i'm impressed :p

haven't got a recipe handy have you sinkas? haven't been able to find an ag barley wine recipe to mash yet.

I just brewed a 1.100 barleywine with reused US 56 - Its a great yeast. Mine fermented warm - about 26 to 28 degrees, but I like the fruity flavours that result

11% from a dried yeast i'm impressed :p

haven't got a recipe handy have you sinkas? haven't been able to find an ag barley wine recipe to mash yet.

No recipe but a few thoughts on how to go about it:
  • Keep the grain bill simple and predominantly base malt. With the sheer amount of residual extract you'll have, there's little need to malt up the grain bill. I'd keep specialties to a few percent at most, bearing in mind that if you measure them as percentage of the grist then you're still using a lot more than in a normal strength beer.
  • Aim for a decent bitterness level, BJCP says 35-70 for English barleywine, I'd rather jack it up to a minimum of 50 or so to avoid having it come out too sweet but that's probably more personal preference. Late hop if you want to drink a few while they're young, or want to trace the decline of hop flavour as it ages.
  • Mash low to help make sure you have an attenuative wort
  • Healthy yeast starter! Same as any strong beer. I think any yeast should get up to 10% if you treat it nicely. I've only brewed one barleywine and used yeast recultured from a bottle of coopers pale ale just for the hell of it. It thumped the beer down from 1.100 to 1.020 without breaking a sweat.

The Jamil Show - American Barleywine

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
12-B Barleywine & Imperial Stout, American-style Barleywine

Min OG: 1.080 Max OG: 1.120
Min IBU: 50 Max IBU: 100
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 22 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 25.50
Anticipated OG: 1.115 Plato: 27.02
Anticipated SRM: 18.8
Anticipated IBU: 96.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
86.3 22.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.098 3
3.9 1.00 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.004 75
3.9 1.00 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.004 20
1.0 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.001 120
1.0 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Pale Great Britain 1.001 200
3.9 1.00 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.008 0

Exract represented as SG.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.00 oz. Magnum Pellet 15.50 96.0 60 min
1.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 0.0 0 min
1.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 0 min
1.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min

Yeast
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 24.50
Water Qts: 31.85 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 7.96 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Saccharification Rest: 149 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 10 Min
Sparge: 170 60 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 10.00 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I used Warrior instead of MAgnum, and mine was bittered to 107IBU ( full packet)

Making a few BW's in my time at least 10-15% kettle sugars are recommended. Otherwise you can end up with a stickie under attenuated beer that you need a spoon to consume.

Healthy yeast, lots of it and some nutrient will help. My last one was made with the slurry of Ringwood ale from a smaller beer. The fermenter actually rocked from side to side there was so much convection.

Maybe add a little black malt or Rb for colour, but you do not need very much Crystal and the like.

Scotty

I just brewed a 1.100 barleywine with reused US 56 - Its a great yeast. Mine fermented warm - about 26 to 28 degrees, but I like the fruity flavours that result

Are you serious?! I wouldn't call that 'warm' I'd call it 'hot'. I'd imagine plenty of fusels and headache city with that one... :eek:

Back