Biab Urns: Birko Vs Crown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you own a Birko?

• Yes and I am glad I got it over a Crown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but I wish I got a Crown

• Yes but it wouldn't bother me which I owned.

• No. Don't own one.

• Total voters
Any of you fellas have beer smith info for the crown urn handy?

Alright, in case anyone searches for this later on.

I ended up getting the Crown Urn because at the end of the day I wanted to give my hard earned to a home brew store and not some wanker from a hospitality supplies store.

When I first got it I did a test boil with water, I then did the modification where you bypass the boil-dry protection (posted elsewhere here and I can't recommend it to anyone unless they're electricians etc). I also got a really cheap camping mat. About $7. I took off the handles and took out the sightglass and cut the camping mat with a razor so that it fit around the urn perfectly, and used some old belts I had to secure the mat to the urn. I gave it another go and noticed that the urn constantly made a noise like it was working, where as before without bypassing the boil-dry it sort of cut in and out, even when it was only at 50 degrees or so with 20L of water in there. The boil dry protection seems badly designed to me and certainly isn't suitable for home brew application where you want the element to just be on when it should be.

So anyway, I did my first batch with it today and I must say this thing boils way better than my stove top could doing partials. I got a boil I was really happy with, anything more and I would think it was too vigorous if anything. Perfect boil IMO.

I uploaded a video to youtube if anyone wants to check out a video of it boiling. note that I don't think the video was that great, it looks better in real life and especially without the hop sock in but it was an after thought to take a video.

Basically I couldn't be happier with this urn in its current state, it's the perfect BIAB single batch setup in my opinion. So easy.

I can also recommend the BIAB bags from gryphon brewing, and the hop sock from craftbrewer (http://www.craftbrewer.com/shop/details.asp?PID=946) as they are both perfectly matched to this urn.

Finally if you're are like I was, a partial stove top masher, I can highly recommend getting into all grain using BIAB and no chill. I found it a lot easier than stove top partials and in some ways even more than doing kits, although it obviously takes more time than kits.

I've also attached some pics to show how it went in case anyone is interested.

PIC_0077.jpg
The urn complete with insulation and attached racking tube.

PIC_0082.jpg
break material left at the bottom of the urn after racking.

PIC_0080.jpg
cube containing wort. Used my knee to push it in to remove some of the dead space.

PIC_0079.jpg
my old 19L Big W pot I used for partials comes in very handy to place the bag in and squeeze out excess wort, and then later on to put all your gear in as you no longer need it. Basically a nice stainless steel bucket that I recommend hanging on to to help with your brew day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem I have with the Crown Urn is that the sight tube is starting to get murky, but I guess the Birko could have the same problem. Being such a thin tube, cleaning is problematic.

I am considering just removing the sight tube, either blocking up the hole or even putting a temperature gauge in its place.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how'd they solve it?

Thanks!

I must admit the sight tube seemed almost useless. I mean it gives you an indication but I dunno maybe it's too thin to be accurate or something?

View attachment 36202
The urn complete with insulation and attached racking tube.

Have you just forced the silicone hose over the tap there? I wasn't comfortable doing this with my Birko because the straight part at the bottom of the tap just didn't seem long enough. I had a spare ball valve, so I just bought a stainless bulkhead fitting from a boating store and replaced the original tap.

I know i've seen it before but i've been searching around and can't find references to what people use as a false bottom for the birko urns.. ie so the bag doesn't burn was going to get a 40l birko

any help would be great phil

Have you just forced the silicone hose over the tap there? I wasn't comfortable doing this with my Birko because the straight part at the bottom of the tap just didn't seem long enough. I had a spare ball valve, so I just bought a stainless bulkhead fitting from a boating store and replaced the original tap.

Yeah I just squeezed it on. I was reasonably happy with how well it sat on the tap. I was just careful and ready to flick the tap off it the tube fell off.

Phil,

Some people just use a cake stand/rack. I don't do a mash out so don't need to worry about it but do a search for the word cake in the BIAB in an urn sticky thread and you'll find heaps of info.

I bought a near new birko 40 litre urn off e-bay for $80, a real bargain.
It came with a stainless frame that sits inside to cover the element.
I have only made 2 all grain brews so far and the birko has been awesome.
Easily gets water to strike temp and to the boil.
Is easy to clean.
Never dreamed how easy BIAB could be when I started.
My main hassle was chilling the wort to pitching temp once I am done.
Went ok the 2nd time with my home made chiller, had it to 30 degrees in an hour then transferred to fermenter and into the fridge at 18 degrees.
No modifications were needed to start brewing, that's what attracted me to looking for a birko in the first place.
Cheers.

IMG01290.jpg

That is cheap! I just paid 270 (including delivery) for a new one!

Finally if you're are like I was, a partial stove top masher, I can highly recommend getting into all grain using BIAB and no chill. I found it a lot easier than stove top partials and in some ways even more than doing kits, although it obviously takes more time than kits.

Top post :icon_chickcheers:

Think I best get me an urn :)

I bought a near new birko 40 litre urn off e-bay for $80, a real bargain.
It came with a stainless frame that sits inside to cover the element.
I have only made 2 all grain brews so far and the birko has been awesome.
Easily gets water to strike temp and to the boil.
Is easy to clean.
Never dreamed how easy BIAB could be when I started.
My main hassle was chilling the wort to pitching temp once I am done.
Went ok the 2nd time with my home made chiller, had it to 30 degrees in an hour then transferred to fermenter and into the fridge at 18 degrees.
No modifications were needed to start brewing, that's what attracted me to looking for a birko in the first place.
Cheers.

That sounds awesome, I paid $270 for mine and had to pick it up :D

Are you siphoning out the wort or using the tap?
I find using the tap I get lots of trub sucked out through the tap and into the fermenter..

thanks
Bjorn

I find using the tap I get lots of trub sucked out through the tap and into the fermenter..

thanks
Bjorn

Are you using Whirfloc and whirlpooling?

I know i've seen it before but i've been searching around and can't find references to what people use as a false bottom for the birko urns.. ie so the bag doesn't burn was going to get a 40l birko

any help would be great phil

I've been using a metal kitchen colander - like for draining spaghetti. Fits perfectly and works fine. When i can remember i attach a plastic coated wire to the handle to pull it out for the boil - and when i forget to attach it i just hook it out with my mash paddle (a little more tricky). It does slow the flow of the heat when it's in, so a cake rack might be my next try.

Do people with Crown urns do mash outs without lifting the bag?

I had a cheap ebay urn with a concealed element and did a mash out on my first AG attempt without lifting the bag. I burned holes in it. I'm not sure about a crown...

thanks
Bjorn

Have just been using the tap.
Have been wirlpooling.
Forgot the wirfloc on my recent brew...
Used whole fresh hops off the bine that I grew in the backyard.
They were starting to block the tap and I just held my brewing spoon over the exit to stop that.

Back