Biab Temperature Monitoring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on to my 33rd BIAB brew and I have a very reliable method of remote temperature monitoring. First, I measure the initial mash temperature using a digital stick thermometer from CraftBrewer. Then:

biab5.JPG

I end up with about a two degree drop. Not taking the piss here, but I find the simple solution is the one that works for me, Ockham's Razor and all that.

I have only just recently gone to your method BribieG, so I still find it somewhat amusing to see what the temperature is over the mash time. I get very similar results to you now, only lose 1 degree over normal mash time with a doonah and two blankets wrapped around the urn. I have just bought myself a camping mat to put around the urn, so I am likely to see what effect this has over the mash time for my next brew.

Having said all that, I don't see much benefit in having a thermometer permanently mounted for BIAB, as it is likely to get in the way of the bag itself or in the stirring process, unless it was mounted in the lid itself so it went down into the mash, and this would likely involve having a much longer probe to reach near the middle of the grain while it is settled.

Crundle

Having said all that, I don't see much benefit in having a thermometer permanently mounted for BIAB, as it is likely to get in the way of the bag itself or in the stirring process, unless it was mounted in the lid itself so it went down into the mash, and this would likely involve having a much longer probe to reach near the middle of the grain while it is settled.

Crundle
Yeah i also had the same thinking of it getting in the way. Just wanted something else to do really, lol

Latest posts

Back