Biab Stock Pot Insulator Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeauVinnie

Reaction score
Gday,

I got some extra ply in the shed. Its solid stuff and was thinking of making a bottomless box with insulation, like engine room insulation you find on boats lining the inside. I could then slip the box over the top of a 50L stockpot to keep the wort warm for the 60 minutes before the 90 minute boil instead of wrapping it with doonas and blankets. Its probably sounds like overkill and may not work as good a a doona/sleeping bag, but was bored and started thinking what i could make with the left over pieces.

Anyone done anything like this or is it a silly idea cause doona/sleeping bags works just fine?

cheers

Great idea imho. I'd apply some foam inside as well for better efficiency :)

i use a blue camping mat from clark rubber, cost me around 14 large and 15 minutes to cut the pot handle holes out! I still stuff towels on top of the lid though, i then use them to dry myself, no wonder i have been dreaming of home brew!!!! :eek: The mat works well though, my last mash was 75 minutes and only lost 1.5 degrees.

I think it's a great idea and I've been thinking of doing something similar, though not wood.

Would double as a cover when not in use.

Doonas / sleeping bags are annoying IMO. I have to grab the one from the spare bed and the wife makes me make the bed afterwards :p

I don't have excess towels or doonas so i don't have one for insulation. The biggest drop in temp i've experienced so far has been 1C. I use a stainless pot though, which apparently isn't a very good conducter of heat....

I don't have excess towels...

Who needs excess towels, just use your regular towel as the insulator and take a shower straight after mash and during the boil. It's like getting a towel straight out of the oven (dryer) but this way it smells like malt...better than fresh undies.

Back