BIAB Set up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flymanor

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i have finally set up a BIAB system. Basic set up includes a 50l keg, ball valve and dial thermometer, 3 ring burner set up in a s/s cleaners sink i got from work. I put the stand on castors ans set up a pulley for draining the bag, and sparge in a 19L big W pot. All up it prob cost me $150.
Have done a few brews so far, not bad flavour but efficiency is a little low. Any tips on improving the system or my efficiency?

Thanks

IMAG0170.jpgIMAG0172.jpgIMAG0256.jpgIMAG0257.jpgIMAG0259.jpgView attachment 71382
IMAG0264.jpg

Just a couple of questions that might help.

Are you using other peoples recipe or creating your own?

Do you use brewing software?

How are you measuring efficiency? As Rob hinted, I'd look at using BrewMate, set your efficiency to, say 75% in the software then when you have got your final wort, check the OG, go back to Brewmate and click the OG "spin box" up or down until it coincides with your actual gravity and see what's now in the efficiency box.

I found that a slightly finer crush gave me a few more points - do you mill your own?

Also a good long mash, at least 90 minutes and do a 78 degrees mashout followed by a good squeeze.

i have been using brewmate, but am still a little uncertain if i am using it correctly.
I generally mash for 90min at 67ish degrees, then drain the bag and pop it in 10L at 78ish degrees for 10min, then drain and add to wort.
My efficiency is measured using brewmate, i enter in my actual gravity reading and volume in the fermenter, am generally getting tin the 60-65%, but want to increase this.
i generally use recipe's from this site or brewerschoice, and make adjustments based on what hops have, etc. I send te grain bill to LHBS and he mills it for me.
i will play around with brewmate and see if i can understand it better.
also, when is the best time to take the OG? i took a sample after the boil and let it cool a little, which gave me a 1.040 reading (brwmate says it should be 1.052). would the temp ofthe wort affect the reading?

thanks

Have a listen to the Biab legacy podcast on Basic Brewing Radio good info there on efficiency etc.
Cheers....spog...
P.s. I Biab I am more than happy with the beers I produce and I never bother about efficiency,to me it's about the end product.

Latest posts

Back