Biab Brewer Register

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pumpkin beer? let me know what your doing spills... im curious on that
Im doing my first AG wheat beer tomorrow i dunno if anyone has tried this biab style . Anyway im gunna find out how it tastes in a few weeks

cheers,kingy

My second Bavarian wheatie is almost ready to bottle - the first was not to my liking.

The seppos make pumpkin beer (I think as a holiday beer). You can add the pumpkin post-mash, but I don't see the point in that. I roasted (no oil) small cubes of some Jarrahdale until it caramelised and then mashed it (in both senses) with the grain. I added 0.25kg pumpkin to 1.75kg grain (pils, amber, crystal, munich) and treated it as usual from then on in. I ended up with about 6 litres of 1.064 sg wort (five litres in the fermenter) that should have about 27IBUs of green. The pumpkin added a surprising amount of colour to the whole shebang, and it is now feeding some US-05. Traditionally, it would have vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg or such sillyness in addition to the hops, but I thought I would be somewhat more pedestrian (and we were out of nutmeg).

Name................. Brews........... are you still BIABing?........Volume
Pistol Patch............. 30................ Yes........................... 714lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 36................ Yes........................... 882lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 23 .................Yes!..........................386lt Mixed methods.
Hashie......................16..................Yes.............. ............367lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............. .............115lt
PJ............................1..................Will be........................23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......15..................Yes......................... 330lt No Chill
Thirstyboy................8.................. Yes....................app 83lt 50:50 NC
Wardhog..................1...................?...............................23lt
Phonos....................4...................Yes............................88l
Partial
Beer Man.................5...................Yes..........................100lt
DK..........................10..................Yes.......................app 220lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2...................No.............................46l

Blackbock................6...................No............................180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7...................No..........................161l
No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l
No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6...................No.............................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy......................13...................yes...........................32
litres no chillin!
Murcluf....................1..................Will be........................11lt
Patobeermonster......6..................yes.............................93lt
Harry_Rmbler..........6..................yes..............................199lt
MVZOOM.................5.....................yep..........................120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................2...................YES............................42
t N.C. for me
joecast....................1..................yup.............................24
t
black forest man......2...................yes.............................40lt
Rod.........................1...................yes.............................
1lt
Malty Cultural..........1....................yes.............................10 lt

Brews are starting to slow up ive got about 50 empty longys left and 4 kegs full and 2 no chill cubes waiting.
My first AG wheat beer waiting for the ambient temp to rise back up in the 20's.And a skunk fart ale.
Time to look for a ferment fridge before the extreme summer heat comes.
That way i can do both styles of beer all year round.

Hey spills that pumpkin ale sounds awesome. Shame i dont like pumpkin unless its mashed with potatos :lol: Now theres a thought Potato pumpkin beer :huh:

cheers,kingy

Pistol Patch............. 30................ Yes........................... 714lt Changed to BIAB
SpillsMostOfIt........... 23 .................Yes!..........................386lt Mixed methods.
Hashie......................16..................Yes.............. ............367lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............. .............115lt
PJ............................1..................Will be........................23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......16..................Yes......................... 350lt No Chill
Thirstyboy................8.................. Yes....................app 83lt 50:50 NC
Wardhog..................1...................?...............................23lt
Phonos....................4...................Yes............................88l
Partial
DK..........................10..................Yes.......................app 220lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2...................No.............................46l

Blackbock................6...................No............................180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7...................No..........................161l
No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l
No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6...................No.............................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy......................13...................yes...........................32
litres no chillin!
Murcluf....................1..................Will be........................11lt
MVZOOM.................5.....................yep..........................120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................2...................YES............................42
t N.C. for me
joecast....................1..................yup.............................24
t
Rod.........................1...................yes.............................
1lt
Malty Cultural..........1....................yes.............................10 lt

Another LCPA clone in the keg! :chug:

SpillsMostOfIt........... 24 .................Yes!..........................310lt Mixed methods.
jimmysuperlative......16..................Yes......................... 350lt No Chill
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
1lt

A 'By the Book' BIAB Rye IPA, brewed with Thirsty Boy which just *might* be ready to taste in about a fortnight.

WRT Pumpkin Ale, I reckon that as I was using the pumpkin primarily as a source of starch/sugars, the beer won't be like sucking down a Sunday roast. I think the pumpkin will add something, but I'm hoping for the tasting panel to behave like good little Iron Chef guests and declare it to be like nothing they've ever tasted... :blink:

SpillsMostOfIt........... 25 .................Yes!..........................314lt Mixed methods.
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
1lt

I'm being a bit rude with this one - we brewed partigyle style last night and I finished off the small beer today - a lighter version of the Rye IPA, but with a different (and cheaper) hopping regime.

SpillsMostOfIt........... 25 .................Yes!..........................314lt Mixed methods.
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
Patobeermonster......9..................yes.............................165lt
t N.C. for me
t
1lt
Brewed a Pilsner and APA for the AFL GF and another schwarzbier coz my Missus loves it.

FNQ Bunyip............. 39................ Yes........................... 962lt
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
1lt

I've been haveing a bit of a break from the Net , was chewing up to much of my time now that the weather is good.
37 was a blonde 38 a smoked porter and 39 a double batch of ale at around 4% for the masses..
were off to the Palmer River camping in 2 weeks and hope to take a couple of kegs away with us, a real test for the off road fridge and keg chiller. It will be hot work haveing a scratch around looking for a bit of gold..

Good to see a few new names up here , keep up the good work guy and girls ..

Cheers Ned

SpillsMostOfIt........... 26 .................Yes!..........................362lt Mixed methods.
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
1lt

A double-sized batch (48litres) of a cascadey, amarilloey beer-like substance. My first double-size batch - too easy.

SpillsMostOfIt........... 26 .................Yes!..........................362lt Mixed methods.
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
1lt
Malty Cultural..........2....................yes.............................20 lt

Another half sized batch for my second AG. Until I get a burner or element, it's ten litres at a time for me.

I'm improving rapidly. This time 10% of the brew day actually went to plan. All Amarillo APA is bubbling away nicely.

My first AG wheat beer waiting for the ambient temp to rise back up in the 20's.

Hey Kingy how did the wheat go? I am getting a 25kg sack in the Syd BB. Wheaties are definitely one of my fav's.
eric

Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
Kingy......................14...................yes...........................35
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
1lt
Malty Cultural..........2....................yes.............................20 lt
Hey Kingy how did the wheat go? I am getting a 25kg sack in the Syd BB. Wheaties are definitely one of my fav's.
eric
Its still in the no chill cube as the weather has dropped up here. Waiting for some warmer temps so i can ferment it a little higher. I grabbed a 25kg bag as well :beer: Time for a few wheat beer experiments.
cheers,kingy

Hashie......................17..................Yes.............. ............388lt No chill
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
1lt

Another Irish Red Ale in the fermenter. :rolleyes:

Hashie......................17..................Yes.............. ............388lt No chill
Partial
Beer Man.................15...................Yes..........................375lt no chill, no problems

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
1lt

recently: bock, Rye IPA, czech pils, about to do a porter

beer man

SpillsMostOfIt........... 29 .................Yes!..........................409lt Mixed methods.
Phonos....................4...................Yes............................88l Partial
Beer Man.................15...................Yes..........................375lt no chill, no problems
Zizzle......................7...................No..........................161l No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l No Chill for all
Kingy......................13...................yes...........................32 litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
lt

1) Saturday's BIAB demo at Grain and Grape - 24 litres 'pretty much' what I wanted it to be. I'm enjoying a forced carb'd sample of it right now.

2) A cute little Belgian Blonde thing for the Vic Christmas Case Swap, executed with Thirsty Boy while filtering and bottling the aforementioned rye IPA, enjoying a beer or three and combing through a shipment from CraftBrewer!

Hey...sure you know all about it but if you do not Google Docs is a great free resource.
You can set up a Spreadsheet and those with editing rights (ie anyone invited) can add edit their number of batches, total litres and such at will. Because its in a spreadsheet form you then number crunch all sorts of stuff like average brew length.
If you added efficiency it would be even more helpfull.
In fact you could go the whole hog and add brew to length, SG/FG/Efficiency columns on..then let the spreadsheet calculate attenuation, average attenuation, average efficiency the list is endless and the results are well worth it..fan alternative way to run a register....

oh.. docs.google.com

SpillsMostOfIt........... 30 .................Yes!..........................432lt Mixed methods.
Phonos....................4...................Yes............................88l Partial
Zizzle......................7...................No..........................161l No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l No Chill for all
Kingy......................13...................yes...........................32 litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t
lt??????

What passes in this house for a hoppy beer - 1.059SG, 36.4IBU from 5.5kg grain and 72g hops - 82%eff. Not chilling as I type this.

Pistol Patch............. 30................ Yes............................714lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 39................ Yes.............................962lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 30 ...............Yes!..........................432lt Mixed methods.
Hashie......................17................Yes.............. ............388lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............................11
lt
jimmysuperlative......16.................Yes......................... 350lt No Chill
Thirstyboy................8..................Yes............................app 83lt 50:50 NC
Beer Man.................15..................Yes..........................375lt no chill, no problems
DK..........................10..................Yes...........................ap
220lt No Chill all the way!
Zizzle......................7...................No............................16
l No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6...................Yes..........................175l No Chill for all
Kingy.....................14..................yes............................361 litres no chillin!
Patobeermonster......9..................yes............................165lt
Harry_Rmbler..........6..................yes............................199lt
MVZOOM.................5..................yep............................120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................2...................YES............................42 N.C. for me
t
t??????

Another wheat beer which will always be on tap right through summer. Bloody beutiful :)

Built my electric BIAB kettle, bag was done yesterday, picking up my grain bill tomorrow. So hopefully by this time tomorrow, I will officially be a BIAB'er :beer:

Latest posts

Back