Biab Brewer Register

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a half batch coz my half sized fermenter was empty and my 2 full sized fermenters were full, I do find though it is much easy to manage that quantity and make inside the house. It's also good for making smaller amounts of beer that you are not going to smash down ie. stout

There comes a point where it is more difficult to make a small batch than a big one, I reckon.

With a full-sized brew (perhaps with a half-size), you get to use any equipment you already have - fermenters, etc. Everything is scaled for that size brew. To get to where I am today with my nano-brews, I had to buy a set of extra equipment over that which I already had - the boiler (which is still bigger than the biggest saucepan in the house), fermenters, etc. as well as make the bag.

I reckon that with the appropriate amount of tight-arsedness, a functional full- or half- sized system could be had cheaper and easier.

Today, I split a liquid yeast into four (previously done it with dried yeast sachets). You need to be quite sure of your cleanliness and processes to do this without too many 'Oh $#!%' moments.

One of my hop additions consisted of 0.5grams of two types of hops. Difficult with bathroom scales! :D

I don't want to sound (too) negative, but I reckon tiny batches are not for the faint of heart.

Name................. Brews........... are you still BIABing?........Volume
Pistol Patch............. 30................ Yes........................... 714lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 33................ Yes........................... 795lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 16 .................Yes!..........................318lt No Chill/Electric
Hashie......................13..................Yes.............. ............281lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............. .............115lt
PJ............................1..................Will be........................23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......15..................Yes......................... 330lt No Chill
Thirstyboy................6.................. Yes.....................app 62lt 50:50 NC
Wardhog..................1...................?...............................23lt
Phonos....................3...................Yes............................65l
Partial
Beer Man.................5...................Yes..........................100lt
DK..........................10..................Yes.......................app 220lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2...................No.............................46l

Blackbock................6...................No............................180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7...................No..........................161l
No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l
No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6...................No.............................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy......................8...................yes...........................181 litres
Murcluf....................1..................Will be........................11lt
Patobeermonster......6..................yes.............................93lt
Harry_Rmbler..........6..................yes..............................199lt
MVZOOM.................2.....................yep..........................46lt / Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................1...................YES............................20
t N.C. for me

With all this talk of small batches, I thought I better add in the two batches of 42 litres that Harry did last weekend. I added both brews to Harry's name even though I did all the fermenting and a hell of a lot of cleaning, crushing and carrying :eek:

These batches were 42 litres each and the bag had no worries. Ended up with too much at the end. 'Final' efficiency was 75% on the batch I measured. This includes 7 litres that of trub and what wouldn't fit in the fermenters.

Having the kolsch tonight that Doogie and I brewed. I didn't like it at first - too fruity - but as Tony said it would (it's his recipe) the fruitiness has dissapeared now. The mouthfeel of this beer is tops! Everyone who's tasted this one in the last few days loves it. I gave the Coopers rep here the Kolsch, a schwartz and a 2.5% Amarillo Pale Ale last night. He loved every one of the beers and said you could sell every one. He was amazed at the 2.5% ale. It is very tasty and if you don't tell people it's a light, they actually think it's quite strong!

Anyway, I'll organise some triangular tasting of Doogie's kolsch and the BIABd one and let you know how that goes.

Spot,
Pat

A couple of things I forgot to mention yesterday:

To date, the best (Beer Smith Brewhouse) efficiency I've got is 83%, by mashing in my final volume and dunk-sparging in my expected boil-off and grain-absorption. Yesterday, I did all that, but treated the mash bag as a tea-bag - once the grain was in there, the opening was tied off and not untied until it came time to dispose of the grain. My efficiency went down to 75%. It could have been all sorts of things, but I reckon it was the bag-tying. When I did a batch with normally-applied bag and a mash-out, my efficiency was in the high 70's. For mine, the jury is still out on how to squeeze the most efficiency out of this technique.

Because I've been doing these brews on the stovetop, I haven't been able to insulate my boiler during the mash phase as I would with my full-size system. To counter, I've had the gas flame on low pretty much the entire mash cycle. No bag damage and pretty good temperature consistency.

Pistol Patch............. 30................ Yes........................... 714lt Changed to BIAB
SpillsMostOfIt........... 16 .................Yes!..........................318lt No Chill/Electric
Hashie......................13..................Yes.............. ............281lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............. .............115lt
PJ............................1..................Will be........................23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......15..................Yes......................... 330lt No Chill
Thirstyboy................6.................. Yes.....................app 62lt 50:50 NC
Wardhog..................1...................?...............................23lt
Phonos....................3...................Yes............................65l
Partial
DK..........................10..................Yes.......................app 220lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2...................No.............................46l

Blackbock................6...................No............................180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7...................No..........................161l
No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l
No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6...................No.............................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy......................9...................yes...........................221 litres
Murcluf....................1..................Will be........................11lt
MVZOOM.................2.....................yep..........................46lt / Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
Eric8......................1...................YES............................20
t N.C. for me

Gotta get a tap sorted i think :eek: nearly got a mouthfull of boiling dortmunder today :lol:

Thirstyboy................7.................. Yes....................app 77lt 50:50 NC
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
Kingy......................9...................yes...........................221 litres
t N.C. for me

Tried the dunk sparge today on an oatmeal stout... bugger me. 89% efficiency into the kettle !! Also means that I mashed at a more "normal" L:G ratio of 3.5:1 So the doubters can at least feel better about that.

Actually, I wouldn't worry about the dunk.. but it actually allows me to eek a litre or two more volume out of my small system. 15 litres into the fermentor from a 16 litre pot. Had to add some of the "sparge" incrementally during the boil.

With a lower OG beer and bit of high gravity brewing, I could just about manage a full corny keg from my "small batch" system.

TB

Thirstyboy................7.................. Yes....................app 77lt 50:50 NC
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
t N.C. for me
joecast....................1..................yup.............................24
t

part mash porter. could possibly be ready for grand final day. woo-hoo :beerbang:
cant wait to try again.

Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
t N.C. for me
joecast....................1..................yup.............................24
t
part mash porter. could possibly be ready for grand final day. woo-hoo :beerbang:
cant wait to try again.

me too! 2 brews still BIABing and doing 20 l batches

Hey Black Forest Man

Glad to hear its been working for you. I have taken the liberty of adding you to the bottom of the official list :) hope you don't mind.

Could you do me a favour please. Could you also report some of your BIAB experiences on the BN forum. I'd like to get a few more US brewers on board to try and build some momentum over there. So far it seems like its only you and Goober fro the States who have given it a go.

Oh and keep us posted here as well of course

Cheers

Thirsty

Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
t N.C. for me
t
black forest man......2...................yes.............................40lt

FNQ Bunyip............. 35................ Yes........................... 845lt
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
t N.C. for me
t

Good on ya Thirsty for adding Black Forest Man to the list. I've been meaning to check out the US site for ages but seem to always get tied up here.

Welcome to AHB Black Forest :beer:

Great to see joecast adding his name as well.

I'll write some more now in the main BIAB thread where I'm hoping Thirsty will explain what dunk-sparging means!!!

Blackbock, if you're still with us ild son, I have a question for you re step-mashing with BIAB ;)

Spot ya,
Pat

Ask away...PP.....
Blackbock only a stones throw from me.......And i can ring him....(tell him to get on)
But i dont think he is BIABing.....
PJ

Ah PJ! If I remeber correctly, I think BB was having probs with step-mashing. I keep meaning to ask for more detail on this as in theory there shouldn't be any worries there. So yeah, ring him and ask him to drop in.

;)
Pat

Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
Kingy......................10...................yes...........................24
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t

This brew was a Doppelbock (26litres)dumped on a s189 yeast cake thats brewed a pilsner and then a dortmunder. I have had trouble keeping the temp down and the krausin in the airlock. Its on 16-17 degrees hope i aint ruined it. The high activity has risen the temp vigorously.

Was tasting good from the samples. Og estimate was 1.075 and ended up with 1.074.

Having a weekend off brewing this weekend as all 3 kegs are full and almost all of my bottles.
Yet to taste a AG from the bottle yet

Hashie......................14..................Yes.............. ............323lt No chill
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
Kingy......................10...................yes...........................24
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t

A second batch of TL's SNPA clone. The first sample I had of this beer last week was so nice I just had to make it again.

Hashie......................14..................Yes.............. ............323lt No chill
Phonos....................4...................Yes............................88l
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t

I made a partial mash version of a Newcastle Brown Ale clone I found on here:

1.3kg Maris Otter
0.23kg Light Crystal
0.12kg Chocolate Malt
0.68kg Brown Sugar
1.5kg LME

52g 4.2% EKG hops @ 45min

Safale S-04

The smell out of the fermenter was great this morning!

SpillsMostOfIt........... 17 .................Yes!..........................324lt No Chill/Electric
Phonos....................4...................Yes............................88l
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t

Another nano-brew - this time of a deep chocolate porter-like substance.

SpillsMostOfIt........... 17 .................Yes!..........................324lt No Chill/Electric
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
MVZOOM.................5.....................yep..........................120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
t N.C. for me
t

ESB just gone down.. may be an English Best bitter - bit light, it will probably work out at around 4.8%..

Cheers - Mike

Edit - to capture last update...

SpillsMostOfIt........... 18 .................Yes!..........................330lt No Chill/Electric or stovetop
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
MVZOOM.................5.....................yep..........................120lt/Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules
t N.C. for me
t

The world's smallest ever batch of Blonde Ale which will be fermented with Wyeast 1214 yeast... Mashed in 5litres, sparged with 5litres. Got 88% Brewhouse efficiency which made up for Saturday's appalling under-70% effort, thus proving to me that particularly for bigger beers (eg my porter) you need to increase the ratio of sparge:mash water.

Edit: Fixed efficiency calc which was just a stupid calc mistake.

FNQ Bunyip............. 36................ Yes........................... 882lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 18 .................Yes!..........................330lt No Chill/Electric or stovetop
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
litres no chillin!
t N.C. for me
t

Latest posts

Back