Biab Bling Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PistolPatch

Reaction score
OK guys, BIAB is due for some bling.

Do you have any ideas? Maybe you even have some ideas for being able to both BIAB and traditionally brew on the one stand? (I'm not convinced of any advantage to this but I still love new ideas ;))

The only ideas I have so far (and they need your input) are....

a) Turning the Bag into a Basket: This idea has been stolen by me from I think James Squire and certainly from Fingerlickin. I'd love a basket made out of termimesh instead of the bag but how do you do that?

B) A Sliding Skyhook: It'd be great to be able to either lift the bag/basket and then once drained, slide it away from the kettle to be dumped in a bucket or whatever.

One big disadvatage of traditional brewing is needing 3 vessels to brew one beer. Does anyone have any ideas on how to maybe have 2 or 3 BIAB vessels to simultaneously brew 2 or 3 beers but reducing the need for multiple burners or chillers? I haven't thought of any as yet but I'm sure someone will.

Anyway, I hope the above is enough to get the b all rolling.

Spot ya,
Pat

Although not a BIAB brewer currently (did use a mini version of it for partials though!), seeing this thread got my mind wondering. I think it's pure genius, but you can be the judge. This gives you flexibility in strike temperature and also prevents scolding while doing it. :lol:

Sorry guys, it's going to be a long boring night for me, had to do something to lift the spirit here :(

biabautomation.jpg

Hello Pat

Here is a picture of the one I use
010_021.jpg

And below is a link to someone who build one himself:
LINK

I think you could drill some moe (+1000) holes at the sides/walls too without loosing the stability of the bucket.

Kind regards
Flemming

Hey PistolPatch,

this stuff might be what you are looking for to add bling to biab - I've even referenced you ;)

HERMAN & HERMLET

Have a look at the HERMLET stuff, including the photo album to get the idea.

cheers, Arnie

lol i knew i wouldn't be the first

Please move along to the next post if your a avid BIABer and offend easily what follows is talk of what real brewers use, a mash tun :p

OK guys, BIAB is due for some bling.

Do you have any ideas? Maybe you even have some ideas for being able to...........

The only ideas I have so far (and they need your input) are....

Best bling you could add too it is a mash tun

a) Turning the Bag into a Basket: This idea has been stolen by me from I think James Squire and certainly from Fingerlickin. I'd love a basket made out of termimesh instead of the bag but how do you do that?

B) A Sliding Skyhook: It'd be great to be able to either lift the bag/basket and then once drained, slide it away from the kettle to be dumped in a bucket or whatever.

Instead of turn the bag into a basket turn it into a mash tun
Instead of the whole big skyhook idea and gods knows what other contraption build a mash tun

One big disadvatage ...........

<_<

The Singer Quantum XL6000 seems pretty bling.

My mums got one of them maybe I could make a bit of cash on the side getting her to embroider pics of PP on BIABers grain bags.

Seriously guys you don't need three vessels to do a all grain with a mash tun, the tun and a kettle thats it! and i'am sure it would be better than BIABing.
Sorry to bring a downer but all good arguements need two sides and as is new brewers that read the BIAB threads are only getting 'this is the best way' comments which I personally don't agree with and I know others feel the same.
Heres a pic of what happens when people start doing things the wrong way...they become a laughing stock.

stupid_V.jpg

Please move along to the next post if your a avid BIABer and offend easily what follows is talk of what real brewers use, a mash tun :p
Best bling you could add too it is a mash tun
Instead of turn the bag into a basket turn it into a mash tun
Instead of the whole big skyhook idea and gods knows what other contraption build a mash tun
<_<
My mums got one of them maybe I could make a bit of cash on the side getting her to embroider pics of PP on BIABers grain bags.

Seriously guys you don't need three vessels to do a all grain with a mash tun, the tun and a kettle thats it! and i'am sure it would be better than BIABing.
Sorry to bring a downer but all good arguements need two sides and as is new brewers that read the BIAB threads are only getting 'this is the best way' comments which I personally don't agree with and I know others feel the same.
Heres a pic of what happens when people start doing things the wrong way...they become a laughing stock.
Bit of a one eyed labour v's liberal approach.Moderation is a virtue. As a three vessel brewer (non BIAB) Im very interested to see how BIAB develops.There seems to be a keen interest there and its a good cheaper way of getting brewers into mash brewing.They (biabers) have got my support.But this will not change the way I brew.R&D is a good learning curve.Go for it guys :super:
Gryphon Brewing

Hello Pat

Here is a picture of the one I use
010_021.jpg

And below is a link to someone who build one himself:
LINK

I think you could drill some moe (+1000) holes at the sides/walls too without loosing the stability of the bucket.

Kind regards
Flemming
Flemming
To obtain the best efficience on a lauter screen you should only have about 20% of the screen area open :IE 80% solid..Nice looking piece of work though.
Cheers GryphonBrewing

Bit of a one eyed labour v's liberal approach.

Yes well said, I should have said it requires at least two sides of arguement but ideally should have many.
The point being it hasn't had many because not many people play part in these threads other than the BIAB people. The input from people such as yourself that is not a BIAB person was what I was hoping to bring to the fold.

Gold woven bag?

Certainly would add to the Bling factor?

cheers

Darren

I think you'll find this add funcionality and the much desired bling to BIAB

biabbling.jpg

damn beat me to it weizenhiemer!

I think you'll find this add funcionality and the much desired bling to BIAB

Energex,

Is that automated BIAB?

sorry guys. I do like the idea of BIAB. Not sure why you need the bag though? :beer:

cheers

Darren

biabbling.jpg

Yes well said, I should have said it requires at least two sides of arguement but ideally should have many.
The point being it hasn't had many because not many people play part in these threads other than the BIAB people. The input from people such as yourself that is not a BIAB person was what I was hoping to bring to the fold.
Yes a good point.And im sure we will all learn some thing be it good or not .I hope to see my first BIAB in a few weeks and add some of my own opinions and recomendations on the process.I will have to wait and see.Till then Im neutral.

I made a steel Tripod..Fits Between pot...Lifts the bag..Slides away...... :)
REPLACES PP's Skyhook... :D
PJ :beerbang:

:super: that's one of the funniest things i've seen in a while weizenhiemer!

Sorry to bring a downer but all good arguments need two sides and as is new brewers that read the BIAB threads are only getting 'this is the best way' comments which I personally don't agree with and I know others feel the same.
Heres a pic of what happens when people start doing things the wrong way...they become a laughing stock

So Jayse... just wondering how many BIAB brews it took you doing before you had gathered enough experience and evidence about the method to come to the conclusion that it was inferior to the point where it might render people who do it a laughing stock??

I hope its a fair few.... because I BIAB, and I'd be pretty damn insulted if you had classified me as a laughing stock for choosing to brew the way I do, unless you had a fair bit of actual hard evidence to back you up. I wouldn't particularly like it if someone were to insult me by inference, because they were simply conjecting that they "thought" there was something wrong with the way I brew.

Or perhaps I should infer that you are laughable simply because when I am brewing professionally, I use a 5 vessel system, and its obvious that you couldn't possibly be brewing properly with your little homebrew sized 3 vessel system... I've never seen you do it, or tasted your beer... but "I'm sure" that my way "would be better than 3 vessel'ing" because you are "doing things the wrong way".

People and most especially new brewers who might be considering AG brewing should indeed be presented with a balanced argument about the several different methods they might choose for their brewing. Each of those methods will have their advocates who should argue for their method and perhaps against the others.

Tell them about your system, what it does well, what its failings might be, where you believe it is superior to a different type of system...

If you think that people shouldn't head in the direction of BIAB, thats great, fire away with anything and everything that you know is wrong with the method, or where you know that a more traditional system simply does a better job at a particular aspect of the brewing process. But I wouldn't mind perhaps if you qualify just how it is that you know.

I'm all ears.... enlighten me as to the error of my ways. I really want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back