BIAB American Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not my recipe but marris otter is great in ipas by the way.

Massive difference with brown and CaraAroma.

CaraAroma will get your colour there. Brown is more roasted than christal/caramel.
Real nutty cracker roasty type flavour. Maybe even roasted oats.

If it's your first American amber maybe keep the rye out for now.

I would go

Marris if have 90%
CaraAroma or bohemian 5%
Brown 5%

Small bitter addition

Large steep addition at whirlpool.

Just my 2c mate. Go for your life. I just found the simpler they were the better they got.

Let us know how you get on.
Edit.
Also Cara amber isnt like carabohemian to me.

Cara Amber is the closest thing I could find in my home brew supplier catalog.
Why do you suggest to ditch the rye? To be honest I'm not sure what would be the result of using rye or not using it...

And what about the carapils?
Thanks for your help!

@Thefatdoghead I don't do whirpool, I use a bag for the grain (BIAB) and a hop spider for the hops, so I pour everything out from my pot to my fermenter.

I modified the hops addition taking into account what you said, 6g at 60', 8g at 15', 10g at 5' and 16g at 0'

Do you think it would be better this way:
60' 11g -> 34.29IBU
0' 30g
DRY HOP 30g
?
Do I put the 0' hops in a different sock and leave it inside the fermenter or do I dump them with the rest in the hop spider and remove all of them before putting it into the fermenter?

Rye will give you a thicker spicier slick type of beer. I like it but keep things simple first time round.
If Cara amber is all you have give it a whirl. It's more roasty to me.

If your ph is right and you mash at 66 youll not need carapils. It's just a dextrine malt.

Here ill give you a Jamil recipe

20171005_143059.jpg
20171005_143110.jpg

@Thefatdoghead I don't do whirpool, I use a bag for the grain (BIAB) and a hop spider for the hops, so I pour everything out from my pot to my fermenter.

I modified the hops addition taking into account what you said, 6g at 60', 8g at 15', 10g at 5' and 16g at 0'

Do you think it would be better this way:
60' 11g -> 34.29IBU
0' 30g
DRY HOP 30g
?
Do I put the 0' hops in a different sock and leave it inside the fermenter or do I dump them with the rest in the hop spider and remove all of them before putting it into the fermenter?

I steep the 0 min hops for 30 min or so at 80 to 90 deg.

If it was me I would use double the 0min addition you have there.

Straight in the hop spider. Then chill.

If no chill, just dump the wort in after your 30 min hop steep.

Get the process and recipe up. I can't remember what hops you had.

I like the dank ones like centennial and Chinook and Columbus

Oh yeah citra. I find it better with another hop if you have on hand. I was a bit one dimensional by itself if I remember right.
Amarillo is great on its own though.

Final recipe?

Grain:
89.28% 2500g Maris Otter
5.35% 150g CaraAroma
5.35% 150g Brown
TOTAL GRAIN: 2800g (10L batch + 2L trub, 68% efficiency)
OG 1050
SRM 13.88

Mash:
67°C Single step infusion mash 80'
75.5ºC mash out 10'
sparge at 75.5ºC

Boil (90'):
Citra Pellets AA 12.8%
60' 9g -> 28.06IBU
15' 1/2 tablet Deltafloc
10' 6g -> 6.78IBU
0' 30g -> 0 IBU (30' and then chill)
DRY HOP 30g -> 0 IBU
TOTAL: 34.84IBU

Yeast:
Safale US-05 (1 whole sachet which is suposed to be for 19l)

Oh yeah citra. I find it better with another hop if you have on hand. I was a bit one dimensional by itself if I remember right.
Amarillo is great on its own though.

I have some chinook left and some tettnanger which i'm saving for making another wheat beer.
I have to buy new hops and I decided on Citra, but I could buy some amarillo and use the chinook for bittering and the amarillo for flavour/aroma....

What else? wrong yeast?

You could just use the Chinook in the steep.
Do you like dry hoping or just doing it?

Maybe steep and dry hop with Chinook and citra.

Chinook is a ripper in the dry hop as well.

I love dry hopping a stout or porter with chinook. So good.

You could just use the Chinook in the steep.
Do you like dry hoping or just doing it?

Maybe steep and dry hop with Chinook and citra.

Chinook is a ripper in the dry hop as well.

I love dry hopping a stout or porter with chinook. So good.

I'm yet to make a really hoppy beer :( and I really want to!

From the humongous list of beers I've made, (6 beers in total: 1 good pale ale, 1 IPA failure, 1 very good stout, 1 good but a little bland hefe-weizen, 1 outstanding belgian witbier and yet-another-IPA-failure) the stout and the two wheat beers weren't suposed to be hoppy, the pale ale was kind of hoppy, not too much, but the two IPA-failures were good drinkable beer but not hoppy at all, bitter and sweet, highly alcoholic, nice color, carbonation, flavour, everything but the hop-punch in your face. My next IPA-try wil have a full container of hops! :mad:

Ok maybe not this one, because they are suposed to be "balanced" but I would like to tip the scale a little bit if you know what I mean... I hope with the last "hop schedule" we achieve that:

60' 9g -> 28.06IBU
10' 6g -> 6.78IBU
0' 30g -> 0 IBU (30' and then chill)
DRY HOP 30g -> 0 IBU
TOTAL: 34.84IBU

I will mix in the rest of the chinhook I have on the 0' and the DryHop additions, let's see how it goes..
Ordering the stuff to my homebrew supplier in 3...2...1...

If you wanted a hoppier beer, go to 60g or even 90g at 0min and dry hop

It won't make it super bitter but will be delicious

If you wanted a hoppier beer, go to 60g or even 90g at 0min and dry hop

It won't make it super bitter but will be delicious
I'll do that, the hops I put on the last post + half the chinook leftovers into the 0' addition and the other half in the dry hop addition... that'd do more or less 60g (6g/L) I hope it's hoppy this time!

Hi I brewed it on saturday. I did it alone after a bicycle ride (my girlfriend was working and my brew-friend was sick) and everything was surprisingly smooth... I like brewing alone, I thought it was going to be sad, but actually I was more focused.

My grain absorption calculations are spot on but... I'm not doing my water calculations right. I had 4.2L of boiloff rate! (las time I had ~3.8L and the previous one ~4.5L)
This can't vary that much using the same kettle, same burner and same everything!

The problem is my kettle is too small, so I have to make calculations for water additions during the boiling and the volume of water changes with temperature (cubic expansion of water). If you add these small variations to the mix + the hops absorption (in the hop spider) it's science fiction that the numbers match reality. But anyhow, you can always adjust by adding tap water to the fermenter before pitching the yeast, can't you?

I calculated a final volume of 12L (10L batch + 2L trub) and OG 1050 and I got 11.5L and OG 1052, so... yep, everything but the boiloff rate or the measurement of the water I poured was exact.

My next improvement has to be a bigger kettle so I can avoid all those tedious calculations and I can put all the water at once, at the beginning, at ambient temperature where the volume match (now I add boiling water from a kettle and warm water from the tap 1L at a time until I reach the initial temp and volume).
I think a 25L one would be perfect for my 10L batches... where can I find an uber-cheap 25-30L pot in Sydney?
Other advantage of having a bigger kettle is I will be able to measure the pre-boil gravity, which right now is also science fiction (because I add water while boiling, even more tedious calculations needed).

I also made another mistake... I calculated the IBUs based on the descriptiong of the Alpha Acid my supplier had in his website, but the actual hops I used were from a newer hop-batch with 13.8 instead of 12.8 % Alpha Acid, so instead of the 34.84IBU I calculated, I will have: 41.45IBU which I think with two extra gravity points is still on the range. I will have a very very slighly stronger beer, no big deal.

I've made several improvements for this one:

1- I've kept my thermometer all the time (but during the boiling) in the kettle with an improvised-but-clever-system: a paper clip and a clothes peg! :D

2- I've improved my "thermal insulation" for the mash adding a folded blanket on top of the insulated bag I used before. I did an 80' mash, I stopped every 20' to check the temp and stir a little and I didn't need to turn on the burner until the last time. After stirring for 5' I lost 1.5ºC !! For the last 3 beers I've had a consistent shitty 68% efficiency, what could you expect with the equipement I have... the good thing is it is a known constant now. <- good.

3- I've improved my chilling time from 3 hours to 45' by using an inmersion chiller (form ebay, I don't have tools here to do it myslef) and a pond pump <- total investment 70$

4- I've improved my "fermentation temperature control" using the T-shirt method (https://byo.com/mead/item/1084-make-me-sweat-cool-tips-for-hot-weather-brewing). I put the fermenter into a rubber basket/bucket (6$ from bunnings) with 10cm of water covered with an old t-shirt. Then I put the pond pump inside the bucket with a tube/hose to the top of the fermenter.
Since saturday evening I've been able to keep a constant temp of 20º switching the pump on now and then. This morning the airlock was bubbling a lot and it was already at 22º so I put one esky block inside the bucket and left the pump running. Today it's going to be warmer, I hope it works... let's see what I find when I go back home...
Last time I made some kind of IPA without caring for the fermentation temp and it turned ok but it has two problems: not hoppy enough and it has a fruity taste, probably because of the high fermentation temperature. I've already drunk 3 or 4 of it and I didn't have headache or anything, I expect it doesn't have fussel oils (it wasn't so hot when I brewed it 3 weeks ago), but from now on I will try to take care of the temp while fermenting.
Depending on how this one goes, I will move to brew belgian saisons (up to 29º !!!) or I'll look for a small fridge and a temp controller. <- I will be staying in Sydney 1 more year, maybe it's worth to buy one... I will have to fight with the enemy in that case (the enemy = my girlfriend)

This wednesday I will do the dry hop (I brewed on saturay): 30g Citra, 30g Chinook.

Last edited:
It's three days after brew day.

I was sitting on the porcelain throne and staring at the airlock of my fermenter (it's in the bathtub with the T-shirt hitec chilling jacket and the pond pump inside a rubber bucket) ... No bubbles.... No bubbles... No bubbles... No bubbles...
I finished my business, said goodbye, flushed , washed my hands and took the fermenter out of the bucket.
1014 on the hydrometer!!
That was fast... With the T-shirt method I achieved an almost constant 20° throughout the fermentation.
So I put a stone (sanitized) into one of my girlfriend's Lycra socks (sanitized) , tied a knot , put 30g of Citra and 20g of Chinook, tied another knot and dumped the sock inside the fermenter.
The stone sinks and the hops float so all of them are submerged into the beer but above the turb! Yeah!

I've read 4 days is more than enough for the dry hops, so I'll bottle on saturday, one week after brew day. EDIT: After taking another 2 gravity measurements (friday and saturday or saturday and sunday) to check fermentation has really finished

I tasted the beer from the hydrometer and it tastes very very roasty... Instead of american amber ale I've made english brown ale :(

Well, we will see on saturday when I take the final gravity measurement and in two weeks and a half when I taste the finished beer...

EDIT: I will carbonate to 3vol. It's a little high for the style (it should be max 2.8), but I like it that way.

EDIT: I've removed some jokes which don't make sense in english, sorry

Last edited:
I bottled it on saturday (it had the same gravity on friday, and 3 days before it had only 1 unit more):
OG 1052
FG 1013
Alcohol By Volume: 5.12%
Apparent Attenuation: 74%
Calories: 160kcal/33cl bottle

The sock with the stone and the hops worked perfectly, it kept the hops well submerged into the beer. My calculations were spot on. I wanted to have 30 bottles (10 liters) and that's exactly what I got. The hops absorbed a lot of beer but there was just enough.

I tried the beer from the hydrometer and it had some hop aroma, much less than I expected to be honest, but the roasted flavour was dominant and it was probably covering the hops. I begin to think it was a waste to use so much hops in this beer.
First impressions: very "roasty/toasty", "hints of nuts", quite dry and light body. Good thing is I didn't get these ester-flavours I got in my previous IPA-attempt, so the t-shirt method worked! jejeje I'm amazed something so simple worked. 20ºC during the whole fermentation made the difference.
About the colour, it's not going to be brown. It's going to be amber! jejeje

Now wait for two weeks... for the picture and a proper tasting

Finally...
The colour is right, the carbonation is right, the aroma is a little hoppy but not too much, it is a little sweet but not too much, the bitterness is about right (it seems to be less than 35 IBU but it is), it has medium body, it is malty but not overwelming and I don't detect any flaws, although I'm no expert myself... I guess I made a good Amber Ale!

About the flavour, it's quite roasted/toasted in the beginning and it leaves a little nuts-flavour in the end, similar to pine nuts. I kind of feel the biscuit but not too much, maybe it's self-suggestion...

I did a tasting with 8 people (non of them are "beer experts") including this amber, my last not-hoppy-enough-IPA and my belgian witbier. 4 of them said the witbier was amazing and they loved it. 3 of them said something similar about this amber ale (not so excited, to be honest) and the last one preferred the not-hoppy-enough-IPA (although he said it's not hoppy enough :p). 4 of them chose the amber in position 2 (the ones who preferred the witbier). All of them got the toasted/roasted flavour, the hoppiness and "indefinite nuts", none of them found the biscuit flavour one of them said it had way too much carbonation (english).
All of them agreed it is a great beer and they would pay for it although it's not their favourite kind of beer.
Three of them said they had never tried a witbier/blanche but they loved it and they asked me which commercial one they could buy similar to mine... jajajaja

Conclusion. Although it wasn't a total success and it's not my favourite style, I think we did a great job with the recipe and Technically, I think this was my best beer so far.
Thank you all! Special mention @Thefatdoghead.

Conclusion 2: The witbier was a f*cking success and I'm not even happy with the way I brewed it. 4/8 loved it, 3/8 liked it very much, 1/8 totally hated it (he hates all kind of wheat beers).

Now I have an IPA (Zombie Dust Clone + a lot of hops) fermenting and I'm studying the Belgian Saisons... new post coming!

IMG_20171028_132359456.jpg

Latest posts

Back