Best use of 100g citra in no-chill aipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the best way to get the most hoppiness out of 100g of citra in a no-chill cube brew?

Flame out, cube hop, dry hop, buy more hops?

All of the above?

Thanks

what is your final volume? I don't no chill but I'd split it up 40/60 cube hop/dry hop

Ah, so basically you could throw 40g in the cube and 60 as a dry hop near terminalG or split 50/50 not sure I'd go the other way but hey someone else will say something else...

Hop bursting with Citra sounds good

I just did a smash on the weekend, third go at the same recipe.

I did 30g first wort, 70g 10 minutes and 100g flame out.

Last time I did a 100g dry hop after a few days in the primary, but this time I have an open packet with 300g of citra in it.........................

droid said:
what is your final volume? I don't no chill but I'd split it up 40/60 cube hop/dry hop
This ^^
That'll give you the best hoppiness - because you need a big chunk left over for dry hopping.

If you need any extra IBUs (haven't calculated it), I'd use some of your "40" as Fresh Wort Hopping.

If you had any extra, as DJ said, put as many of your IBUs as you can into the cube and dry hop the hell out of it.

I'm personally a fan of FWH, so I try to get 10-20% of the IBUs from that and the rest in the cube. I prefer the smooth bittering it provides so overall I think it's a better beer. But if you're looking for solely the biggest hoppy impact, then the split droid suggested is probably best.

I recently dry-hopped as much as 77g of Citra in a 60/40 ale/wheat grain bill and the burst of flavour and aroma was amazing. It also endured right to the very last drop in the keg.

I'd get the IBUs up to around 30 with late Citra in the boil (Citra is usually around 12-15%AA so you wouldn't need too much) then smash then rest in dry hopped.

Just remembered I have some Magnum left in the freezer.

Small magnum bittering charge, 40g in cube @90°, 60g dry hop?

(Although i love the simplicity of chucking it all in the cube)

Yeah I'd chuck in a bit of bittering.

Citra plays well with many hops too - amarillo, cascade, chinook, simcoe.

On its own, for me at least it can be too much fruit that needs balance.

Wahwahwhammybar said:
Just remembered I have some Magnum left in the freezer.

Small magnum bittering charge, 40g in cube @90°, 60g dry hop?

(Although i love the simplicity of chucking it all in the cube)
Why not try a FWH of magnum to lift the IBU's and then go hard late with Citra as also suggested.

I took techno's advice and tried FWH and whilst it hit the mark absolutely in terms of smooth bitterness, it gave me a softer Altbier with Spalt and made me realise I want Spalt in my Altbiers to smack me in the face... :lol:

I'll probably give fwh a go

What sort of IBU can i expect from cube hopping,is it similar to x amounts of minutes boil?

(Depending on cube size, ambient temp and a load of other factors)

I always start with the end game in mind.

You have some nice US hops. Pick a nice beer that could use some hops of that strain. Then work back from that. It could be a SMASH or you could blend it.

You may find that there's enough hops there for a couple of beers.

If you're walking out on home brewing and its your last bash with all you have left then that's a different story.

If using nice potent US hops, I find about 20g FWH then another 30 in the cube gives a nice hop profile. Dry hop with another 50g or so.

It is said that cubing extracts similar IBU to a 20min addition, but I think it retains a bit more flavour/aroma than a 20 min boil as all the goodness is sealed in.

Latest posts

Back