Best Thermometer For Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo5253

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for a thermometer to use to ensure temp is correct when steeping grain etc

I am currently using my multimeter, problem being this only read to 70 degrees.

My options are

- Keep what I have
- Buy a digital probe thermometer for around $30
- Buy a dial thermometer for around $35

Cheers

Robbo

I use one of those digital probes from CB, haven't had any probs with it. I spose you could get either, just decide if you plan on going AG any time soon, if so midas well get one that you can use in a mash tun, the probe I have isn't very long, I'd say just over 10cm.

Edit: Linky

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=764

I got a floating digital thermometer from Dick Smiths, $15.

Just chuck it in an it floats around so you can check the temp at any time. I like it because I find most take a few secs to stabalise the temp reading, and I don't have to hold my hand over the heat waiting.

QldKev

Glass stick with the stainless sheath. Good enough for the local small craft brewer then good enough for me. Had bad luck with a dial and heard too many bad things about the digitals. Temperature is one of those things that needs to be right on when you start mashing. For steeping a few degrees one way or the other is not as important as pH.

I use a thermometer that goes to about 105 (glass, from lhbs). Essentially though, you don't want to go beyond 70 for steeping anyway, so it's more an issue as to whether it's accurate and what you may want in future if you wish to move to partial or AG.

Find a local hospitality store and have a look in there.

I have a digital probe thermo that goes from -10 up to 120 in increment's of 0.1deg....

Think it cost me around $25...

Cheers for all the info guys, think I will go with the digital as I can get one where I am putting an order in at the moment.

Cheers Beers and happy brewing!

Robbo

I've had an issue with the digital meat pokey thermometers. I think whats happened is that there has been enough steam around to get into the digital bits and condense there. They seemed to get better after drying out. I keep a dial thermo (intened for steaming milk on a coffee machine) around as well.

I don't bother measuring the temperature of my steep for extracts - just use hot tap water (65C) and throw a couple of towels over the pot.

For mashing I use a candy thermometer because it takes the temperature in the middle, not the surface of the water and I can swirl it round to get an average temperature.

Looking for a thermometer to use to ensure temp is correct when steeping grain etc
What a coincedence..

I'm brewing right now, a Coopers Sparking Ale extract recipe, which calls for steeped grains, and when I went to take my
thermometer out of it's metal case, it was broken in half.
It's been in that case since I've had it and has probably been broken the whole time.

Looks like I have to skip the grains :(

Now I've just read Nick JD's post but it's too late, I'm already boiling the malt.

Oh well, will try that next time.

That was the kind I had.

Are these ok to just leave in amongst the steeping grains, metal sheath and all?

I think we are talking the same thing. The sheath is designed with a slot on the side and drain holes on the bottom so the thermometer can be read. The whole idea is the metal protects the glass incase you whack it on the side of the kettle or something. I doubt it would do more then contain the pieces if it was dropped or used to fend of beer steeling neighbors.

By the way I did not like how the thermometer was loose in the sheath so I crumpled a little bit of foil and put it on top under the cap. Now no rattles and the thermometer stays put so I can read it.

Here is a link to what I am referring to. Did not get it from them as I had my local store order it in. http://morebeer.com/search/102228/beerwine...er/Thermometers

What is the best thermometer design for rectal temperature measuring devices ? :blink:

I just use a Steamed milk thermometer with a clip that attaches to the side of the boiling pot, ranges between -10 and 110c, handy in that it just sits there the whole time from boil to crash cooling. Got it at wholesale as i work at a kitchenware distributor ;)

Latest posts

Back