Best Supermarket Kit Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeysers

Reaction score
Firstly, sorry if this has been mentioned. I couldn't find it using search.

I am flat out at the moment and will be for the next few weeks which leaves very little time for brewing. Normally I would pay a visit to my HBS, but I just don't think I will have the time as I live about half an hour away from there. So, out of necessity (my beer stocks are running low) and curiousity (never tried this before) I wanna try a toucan brew, perhaps a lager and a draught or something like that. I have been reading around on this site and grumpys forums and like what I have been hearing. Sounds simple, quick and pretty tasty. The only thing people mentioned is that most of the yeast that comes in these kits doesn't seem to be up to par. As I said, I just don't have the time to get to my HBS to get a good quality yeast, so I thought i'd ask here, which of the supermarket brew cans has the best quality yeast? I know at Coles I saw they stocked Farmland, Coopers and Cascade as well as one or 2 others. Do any of the yeasts in these kits stand out over the others? If so, I will be sure to make at least one of the cans the one with the better yeast.

Also, when doing a toucan, do I add 2 satchels of yeast, or just 1? What happens if I mix yeasts?

Cheers! :beer:

Most kit yeasts will be Mauribrew S514 so there's not much difference. They're all pretty much neutralish yeasts made for a pretty much trouble free fermentation, shelf life and temperature tolerance. Flavour is a secondary concern, in other words.

You definitely need 2 sachets of the little 6g sachets with a toucan brew. Why not order some good dry yeast online from somewhere?

The Coopers Bavarian lager has a Saflager yeast in it so i hear. There is a two can job for this on the coopers site but not great recomendations for it so i've read.
Depending on which cans you mix i'd put both in.

Also, when doing a toucan, do I add 2 satchels of yeast, or just 1? What happens if I mix yeasts?
I've just taken a supermarket toucan off the gas last night and I'm pretty damned pleased with it. I did a Coopers Stout and a Toohey's Dark Ale (it was on special and a couple of bucks cheaper than the Coopers). I chucked both yeasts in there and it went off like a firecracker and has come out pretty darned drinkable for something that cost me about $18 for a headkicker brew.

You definitely need 2 sachets of the little 6g sachets with a toucan brew. Why not order some good dry yeast online from somewhere?
That's something I wish I had of thought of earlier. I'm an idiot! For now, I might just brew using whats under the lid coz I gotta get something in the fermenter ASAP or heaven forbid, I will have no beer!

If the Cooper Bavarian Lager Saflager yeast is better than the Mauribrew S514 (thats what I gather anyway, I don't know much about yeasts), I might make the Lager part of the toucan Coopers Bavarian, at least then I should have some decent yeast in it.

Still open to ideas though if anyone knows of any others that might have a better quality yeast.

As a side note, with these cheap ingredients toucan brews, is it worth racking/CCing, or should I just treat it as quick job and drink it in a few weeks time?

if you cant find the time to get to your local HBS ring them and do a mail order why fart arse around with whats on offer at the supermarket when you cant get exactly what your after at the HBS and i am sure they would send it out to you post that way you can do more research on supermarket yeast.

sorry for being a bit brash but i belieive in support for your HBS I know i am a retailer in a HBS. and you can shop where you want but i think that the HBS owner would be a brewer as you are and would be able to help better than just a check out guy or chick and Canberra the Mecca to home brewing.

DEL

Coopers Bavarian Lager is universally rumoured to have a Saflager yeast.
I tested this out by using a sachet in a 2lt starter at 10 degrees, went just like 34/70, so I pitched it into an AG Bopils and did a full lager ferment. turned out just dandy.
Why not just make a 2lt starter with the lager yeast, then use a tin of bavarian lager and a tin of coopers lager and ferment at lager temperature.

hope this helps

Edit:
And when you can get into the LHBS grab some of your favourite aroma hops and chuck them into your lagering brew.

Go to the local grog shop and get a couple of bottles of CPA enjoy the beer and culture a decent yeast!

Latest posts

Back