Best Method To Strain Out Dry Hops Before Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korev

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Some assistance please my UJ clone needs to go into the keg and there is a huge amount of dry hop on the surface and in suspension. Any ideas on the best method of straining out the hops to minimise oxidation.

PS I have already shortened the dip tube in the keg but am concerned that I will get keg blockage from the hops

Cheers
Korev

PPS the sample tastes great - don't want to spoil this one!!

Chilling for a few days helps drop the material out of suspension (hops and yeast). If it needs to be done now then don't worry about the stuff on top as you can stop the transfer before that level get's down to the tap. If you're going by a sample straight from the tap and noticed the floaties, then it might be that the hops were actually settled on the bottom but got stirred up near the tap as you drained. Time and chilling really helps.

no time to chill - agree the floaties were from the flow stirring up - have now a cunning plan

plan seems to have removed an amount of hops

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

plan seems to have removed an amount of hops

Same filter setup as I've been using for years, Works a treat. except mine is just black one from Bunnings. Where did you get the clear one from?

QldKev

QLDKev - the local plant place I think. I used to use it stuffed with cotton wool as a "sterile filter" many years ago for aeration until I realised I should buy the proper article. Was sitting in the bottom of the brewing (never throw anything away) odds and sods drawer

Korev

I just did the chill method wed night, only took a few hours with semi regular rousings for ninety-something percent to drop out. Then gelatine, and by Thurs night the whole shebang was nearly bright.

I was a gardener for years when I was young, that is a great solution.

I have never used finings just used a floculant yeast usually WL002 and apart from American PA and Ipa have not had a problem in getting bright beer. The large DH posed a particular (pun) problem

Korev

that filter is an awesome idea! i was in bunnings today buying an inline barbed tap which i have mounted in my siphon tubing so i can control the rate of siphoning from my sparge pot, into my mash tun, and those filters were right next to the taps. I took one look at them and thought (as i'm sure we all ask ourselves this question) - "i wonder if i can use that for brewing?"

will be going back tomorrow to get one. glad i saw someone else using that idea. i was literally about to start a post asking if someone else has used one...

Nice work with that lads, but to be honest that would just be another thing to clean and that doesn't really thrill me. All I do is use some Muslin cloth from spotlight cut into a square (10cm by 10cm'ish), put your hops in and pull up the corners to make a hop bag if you will, zip tie (sanatized) the top and tie on some fine fishing lineand then dry hop in the key without all the crap you don't really want. Then after your desired time frame open the keg, pull out the bag and in the bin or into the fridge until the next brew is ready.

Jay

Agree it would be better to avoid the problem in the first place. Off to The Brewshop tomorrow for some hop bags

Korev

but with hops bags, we then we start the hop utilisation topic... :D

QldKev

Latest posts

Back