Suck the air out of your hop flowers before dry hopping?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
Just an experiment and wondering if its worth it.
Fresh dried hop flowers into the keg then filling it with beer my thought is that the flowers are very ,fluffy? holding lots of air pockets etc. Oxygen being the enemy of hop aroma I am trying this method.
I'm either getting desensitized to hop aroma (I don't think its that) or I'm just not getting the results I want despite efforts.

Trial method:
Boil hop sock with stainless steel weight to sanitize.
Fill hop sock with fluffy new hop flowers then put that filled hop sock into a vacuum seal bag and , vacuum seal it ready for the keg. Basically to suck all the air out of those fluffy flowers so they don't introduce that air/oxygen into the beer.

Then a technique I think I first read from forum member Coldspace I think. That is to fully purge keg with co2 is to fill keg with water then force feed co2 into keg to push out all the water is the only real way to purge a keg of all oxygen?
When keg is empty of water and full of co2 then release pressure on remove lid and pop in the hop sock.
Then fill with beer via closed loop co2 pressure technique.

Anyway fingers crossed I get a better result with this fussing about. :unsure:

Is it sound theory? Any experiences to share?

Cheers. :chug:

Latest posts

Back