Best equipment purchases

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread on this so excuse me if I've missed one. With the exception of your main brew rig gear, what's the best accessories that have improved your brewing processes? Talking about things like ph meters, thermometers or whatever else. The small, invaluable bits of equipment that make your brew day easier. For me, my thermopen and my refractometer. Both worth their weight in gold.

For the most part people probably say the last thing they bought :p

Which for me is accurate, 98L kettle from cheeky peak. Awesome buy and the blokes from there super helpful.

Considering I threw myself into all grain with the belief that I will be bottling every batch, I'd have to say all of the kegging gear that I have recently purchased. I still haven't poured a beer from it yet, but how can pouring beer from a tap at home not be my favourite thing about homebrew?

3 liter Erlenmeyer flask, so that I can make a yeast starter to pitch and save some of the yeast in the fridge for the next starter. No more washing yeast

$15 pulley system off ebay so I can lift the malt pipe out of my brau with ease and sit it up nice and high for sparging.

My mash tun esky a few years back.

med_gallery_34854_1193_1529805.jpg

It's not flash, it's not even that big (and at the time it had like a 1/8" barb for the outlet)... but it got me into all grain brew'n.

I also still brewed in the kitchen... my, things have changed!

mrberlin said:
3 liter Erlenmeyer flask, so that I can make a yeast starter to pitch and save some of the yeast in the fridge for the next starter. No more washing yeast
I find it really hard to get a fast spin in a 3L flask without the bean flying off. For my 1L flask I can spin it until it has a whirlpool right up to the surface, but the 3L one always throws the bean, sometimes even at low speed. How do you manage it?

i dont know about the 3l but i have a 5l and because the bottom is curved i cant put the stir bar smack in the middle. i do find it works quite well 3-5cm off centre and still has a nice vortex. Either that Coodgee or you may need bigger magnets

Coodgee said:
I find it really hard to get a fast spin in a 3L flask without the bean flying off. For my 1L flask I can spin it until it has a whirlpool right up to the surface, but the 3L one always throws the bean, sometimes even at low speed. How do you manage it?
My mrs says if she flicks the bean really hard, everything spins pretty well

Coodgee said:
I use the L38-5016. Never thrown one, even on 5L. I would easily put these among my best equipment purchases.

https://proscitech.com/?navaction=show_page&chapter=l&page=5

Five great condition cornies for $100. Didn't even need to replace seals in four of 'em. Cheerin.

last purchase of course! just got my Intertap SS flow control taps with the growler filler attachments!

never had flow control before, geeze, will makes filling, along with taking a sip while still force carbing possible!

the grain mill is still the one that really gives me the freedom to brew when I want to and buying grain in bulk saves alot of coin.

buckerooni said:
last purchase of course! just got my Intertap SS flow control taps with the growler filler attachments!

never had flow control before, geeze, will makes filling, along with taking a sip while still force carbing possible!

the grain mill is still the one that really gives me the freedom to brew when I want to and buying grain in bulk saves alot of coin.
I think the DK sticker is the best purchase you've ever made!

I can't count the Grainfather because SWMBO bought it for me as a surprise.

So, that leaves me with ........

But my $50 thermapen and $10 hops scales are best in terms of value.

Also, all the parts to make BrewPi have been good purchases.

1476418572588.jpg

1476418709563.jpg

Back