best bottle filler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good4whatAlesU

Reaction score
Hi all

Apologies this has probably been covered before. Looking for advice please on the best bottle filler for transferring from keg to bottle.

Efficiency, ease of use, speed and effectiveness. Are bilchman the go or do the counter pressure ones work better?

Thanks in advance.

I used to use the bottling gun but never had much joy with it.
Now I do the same as transferring from kegmenter to keg but its only suitable for PET bottles.
With a beer post to beer post jumper lead. I use the carbonation caps with a dip tube fitted that reaches the bottom of the bottle. Screw the carb cap on tight then connect the beer line until it stops filling under pressure then gently unscrew the carb cap to let pressure out and the bottle slowly fills. It is under pressure so it works much better than the bottling gun. Quickly replace the carb cap with a plastic cap when full.
Not the best way no doubt but it works good enough.

A 2lt clear bottle for example.

Im also a bit fan of the carb cap on pet for taking beer to parties etc.

Also a fan of the carb cap and use a similar process as dascraftbeer except I loosely fit the carb cap a flush the bottle with Co2 first.

Yeah I purge with Co2 first as well. Its so easy to do so.
I'm also staying to my (No exposure) habit of transferring beer at the moment.

If there is a bit of head on the beer when filling then I let the froth out the cap seal until it stops spitting. Either leave the carb cap on which is a good idea to top up carbonation. Or re plastic cap. Very little head space. Its not as messy as the bottle gun option.

Looks great guys for PET.

Unfortunately assuming this would be a bit (very) dangerous into a glass bottle? Also difficult to attach the cap to a stubbie?

Shouldn't be dangerous for glass that's rated to take pressure. However attachment is the issue. There are the CPBF heads for tap systems that can do stubbies.

I pour into the pet from the tap these days (after flushing with c02) then attach the carb cap and pressurise.. Less equipment, same result ;)

Could an expandable balloon (e.g. latex glove or something) be attached to the top of the bottle to allow a little CO2 pressure out whilst still maintaining back pressure into the bottle? After the initial purge that is.

Latex glove, scissors and a couple rubber bands. .. perhaps I am in the wrong type of forum!!

Edit: E.g. use a rubber stopper with a double hole - the blichmann thingo goes in through one hole. The other hole has a stem which is first flushed, then attached to a balloon or something to allow back pressure whilst filling with the blichmann. The is essentially a CPBF I suppose.

Best option for PET bottles and Crown seals with an adaptor.
Counter pressure bottle filler

Like this from Craftbrewer

counterpressureKK.jpg

Noice argon!
What advantage would this have over a conventional CPBF? Or blichmann?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472444038.181812.jpg

I love the CFBF from morebeer and I know you can get them in oz as well. I just got my one in the US while there, I know some people don't like them as they are messy. However I have found after the first few goes it is now super easy to use. I have found no oxidation issues even with bottles aged for well over a year. One of my best gadget purchases

skb said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472444038.181812.jpg

I love the CFBF from morebeer and I know you can get them in oz as well. I just got my one in the US while there, I know some people don't like them as they are messy. However I have found after the first few goes it is now super easy to use. I have found no oxidation issues even with bottles aged for well over a year. One of my best gadget purchases
I use one of these for full batches I've carbed in keg and comp beers, I've never had problems with oxidation etc either, was a little messy at first tho
And I need to pay attention or I forget to turn the flow off after I've closed the bleed valve, otherwise you shoot beer everywhere when you remove the filler from the bottle
For beers at parties and whatnot, I use a carb cap as others do in this thread

I use a PET bottle with a carb cap like Danscraftbeer
or
Growler under the tap, bit of foam but does the job for a party/ family dinner

good4whatAlesU said:
Noice argon!
What advantage would this have over a conventional CPBF? Or blichmann?
I have no experience with other types, so not really a comparison. Have tried the cap, filling with a tube etc, but i find my CPBF very easy to use. Can fill single handed, 100% purge with Co2 which affords no mess, no foam and will avoid any oxidation.

Ive been using the Keg King beer gunfor a few months now. I used to used a diy counter pressure filler made from a plastic raking cane, a picnic tap and a rubber bung with pretty good results. First time i used the KK beer gun i made a huge mess and lost alot of beer. I used the rubber bung on it (it has a small hole drilled in it for pressure release) and it works great. I can flush with co2 and counter pressure fill as well. No need to chill bottles. I have carb caps for pet bottles to.

Thanks guys this is good advice.

The beer gun/blichmann style looks easiest to use but I worried about having to dial back the pressure to recommended 3psi and lose carbonation (or get foaming). But with a rubber stopper with pressure release valve as suggested by nosco solves that issue (should reduce foaming) and maybe pressure can be run at 10psi.

Aftermarket 40 bucks on eBay plus a gas line splitter 10 bucks and I'm up and running.

good4whatAlesU said:
Thanks guys this is good advice.

The beer gun/blichmann style looks easiest to use but I worried about having to dial back the pressure to recommended 3psi and lose carbonation (or get foaming). But with a rubber stopper with pressure release valve as suggested by nosco solves that issue (should reduce foaming) and maybe pressure can be run at 10psi.

Aftermarket 40 bucks on eBay plus a gas line splitter 10 bucks and I'm up and running.
Reducing the pressure (maybe not all the way to 3psi) for bottling with the beer gun is precisely what allows you to fill a bottle without foaming. Keep in mind your bottles need to be super cold and you should bump up your pressure by around 5psi prior to bottling to compensate for any loss of carbonation whilst bottling. The beer gun works really well. In beers I've entered in comps there has never been a carbonation issue mentioned.

I love drinking beer from a nice cold bottle. But lets face it unless you have an automated bottling line it's a love hate job. Therefore the best bottle filler is anyone other than yourself. :super:

I have a CPBF hanging off the kegger it's quick and easy for a few take outs.

GalBrew said:
Reducing the pressure (maybe not all the way to 3psi) for bottling with the beer gun is precisely what allows you to fill a bottle without foaming. Keep in mind your bottles need to be super cold and you should bump up your pressure by around 5psi prior to bottling to compensate for any loss of carbonation whilst bottling. The beer gun works really well. In beers I've entered in comps there has never been a carbonation issue mentioned.
Does longer beer line length have something to do with it too? I didnt think the one supplies with the KK gun was quite long enough if this is the case. Chilling a few bottles is fine but try finding fridge space to chill 24-48 bottles.

Latest posts

Back