Best And Worst Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsaint

Reaction score
Now I know this is a topic thats been bought up before. I Think we need a thread committed to bottles purely for reference, for whats worth using, and not using. Now most of us know to narrow down to just brown bottle's.
So ditch the clear and green.

I have some budweiser bottles I would like to use for home brew, but my question is," can these bottles retain the carbonation"? I have a winged capper so it does not push down on the cap as far, because of the lip in these bottles. Has anyone had experience with these bottles?
I think we should use this thread as a reference for all to know what bottles work so for me I have:
Matilda bay, Barons , Coopers Largies, and Budweiser which has a ? Please review your bottles, and let others know what works for you....

Brown flip tops, be they Grolsch Ambers (rare as hens teeth), Schwimmer Pils or anything else like that.

Flip top for not having to worry about capping ever again and brown glass to prevent light strike.

Brown flip tops, be they Grolsch Ambers (rare as hens teeth), Schwimmer Pils or anything else like that.

Flip top for not having to worry about capping ever again and brown glass to prevent light strike.

Nice thanks for that will keep a list of any suggestions.....Are'nt Grolsh green though?

Nice thanks for that will keep a list of any suggestions.....Are'nt Grolsh green though?

Grolsch Premium Lager is green and you can still buy them most places. It's the Grolsch Amber that you want. They came out in brown flip top bottles. I only ever managed to collect about 10 of them back in my bottle collecting days of uni back in the early '90's. Occasionally the Amber ones pop up on evilbay, like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Grolsch-Beer-Bottle-Am...=item2c5180a0ed

The only one I have had shatter while capping is Little Creatures stubby
They seem thinner and lighter weight than James Squire stubs.

My thoughts

GOOD
German 500ml long necks EXCEPT (see note below)
Matilda Bay stubbies, thick and very dark glass especially older ones
Champagne or sparkling wine bottles
JS bottles

BAD
As noted by others
Schofferhoffer 500ml long necks, very light compared to most other German long necks and very thin glass I have busted them recapping

I hardly ever bottle these days and throw most bottles out except the german long necks or nice thick champagne bottles.

Coopers long necks are fantastic, dark brown in colour and very thick and strong, never had bottle bombs even when I bottled a batch that blew the lids off as soon as you cracked it and instantly fizzed out the entire bottle! Very strong

Pickaxe ones are fantastic. CUB ones are good as well. I get my longies from the recylce depot and as such avoid Coopers ones because they have baked in sediment a lot of the time.

THese bottles are great but the rubbers do fail after a while. Its there only fault.

Love the Schwelmer Pild........ and the bottles!

cheers

Some of my bottle stocks are the Grolsch (and others) swingtops, both green and brown.
I can store my beers in virtual total darkness, so the colour is not an issue.
They're great bottles.

Coopers longnecks are brilliant, as noted above.

A lot of the English 500 mil ale bottles, such as Fullers ESB, Hobgoblin, etc etc are brown, and very strong, and they are roll tops. Very good.

CUB tallies, Matilda Bay, Little Creatures, Monteiths, VB stubbies, Pigs Fly, Bundaberg Ginger Beer, Coopers.

All good bottles in my book.

Cheers - boingk

Bad = Toohey's New, BUL Stella

Good = Generally anything from a craftbrewer, I haven't had a problem with LC bottles, JS good, MB good.

anyone had experience with budweiser though? before i toss these out

Strong bottles for sure the way to go. I found that out yesterday when one exploded at close range, gashing my arm and sending me to hospital for stitches. The bottle was 330ml (not sure which one, the remnants weren't recognisable).

BAD
As noted by others
Schofferhoffer 500ml long necks, very light compared to most other German long necks and very thin glass I have busted them recapping

I haven't ever busted a Schofferhofer bottle with a bench capper. Reused some of those suckers a dozen times.

one exploded at close range
Sh!t, hope you heal up alright. Can't say I've ever had a bottle explode on me...yet.

Use the time off work (if any) to brew some extra :wink:

Cheers - boingk

CUB Crown Lager Pop Tops - 375ml....

I collected about 600 of these prior to them not being made any more. I dont bottle anymore so I gave them to my old man.

Im still glad ive got access to them if I need them though.

IMO they are the best smallie available for home brew. My old man has filled and refilled them literally dozens of times.

Sh!t, hope you heal up alright. Can't say I've ever had a bottle explode on me...yet.

Use the time off work (if any) to brew some extra :wink:

Cheers - boingk

haha, I thought about the compo angle! Hard to wrangle. In 10 years I had not had explosions - however in the last month I have had 6 explosions - time to throw out these bottles methinks.

Latest posts

Back