Best All Round Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The choice for me if i can only store 2 at any given time

1272 for Clean ales, 1968 London ESB for malty ales
3068 for Weizen
2124 Barvarian for dry lagers 2308 Munich for malty lagers
3787 Trappist or Belgians

The onyl problem is choosing 2 from the above :p

Thnaks everyone for all the replies I too wish i had a bigger fridge hopefully i can sort something out .
I think i will go with 1272 to start with but you know when ordering online if you press the wrong button and end up with a few more you just have to find room i guess ;)
AW

You must have a small fridge...... I recon i could fit hundreds in the smallest bar fridge ive seen.

I usually run 2 or 3 different yeasts at a time and plan to brew different beers with the strains on hand.

eg:

1010 American Wheat:

Kolsch
Alt
Aussie Pale Ale
American Rye

WLP833:

Oktoberfest
Classic American Pilsner
Bock

3rd yeast will usualy be a wheat or a belgian....... posabilities are almost endless!

cheers

The one and only do all yeast from White Labs WLP862. Do not use it as I use dry yeast US-05 and S-04. The little packets take up almost no space and no need to muck about with starters.

WY1056 is my staple yeast for clean ales.
WY3787 for belgians.
WLP830 for lagers.

Nah Tony the fridge is quite good but it has baby bottles and around 10 liters of milk in it so it is really full but the outside fridges will be kicking in ery soon now the shed has power just wanted one Yeast to get me satrted and not to overtak the small room

If you want a bit of variety, keep an eye out in 'up for grabs' on AMB. Yeastcakes come up quite often. ;) Good for getting yeast for styles you might not otherwise try, and often put up on the board when pitched, which gives you time to organise your own brew.

Hi

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here.

I have a similar problem in that my beer fridge is an Engel car fridge and hence there is no room for liquid yeasts. I am on the look out for a fridge.

So what I am planning on doing in the mean time with liquid yeasts is to do a mini or micro brew.

I thought of doing a 4 -4.5 litre brew. 400 gram LDME, OG should be around 1.035 - 1.040 and 4 grams Fuggles boiled for 60 minutes to give an IBU of about 10. One Smack pack of liquid yeat, ferment, thought of racking (to remove any break material) then bulk prime swirling the contents of the fermenter to stir up the yeast sediment and bottle in 6 PET 750 ml bottles. Condition and store as normal. Hopefully in PET bottles should be good for about 9 months.

When ready for a proper brew use one of the bottles as a starter.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thanks

ianh

You don't need pet bottles,especially big ones to culture yeast.

Learn how to culture yeast safely and properly

a bit off topic, but sticking with yeast. my beer fridge got really cold and froze everything in it including a yeast culture. Should I bin it.
As for my staples definitely 1056.

You don't need pet bottles,especially big ones to culture yeast.

Learn how to culture yeast safely and properly

Yes but most yeasts are stored in a fridge, I was planning to store the yeast as a beer using stuff that I have available.

a bit off topic, but sticking with yeast. my beer fridge got really cold and froze everything in it including a yeast culture. Should I bin it.
As for my staples definitely 1056.

Make a starter, start small and work you way up to desired volume. I reckon even though it froze you'll still have some viable cells, although most would be either dead or damaged, hence building up a starter to breed up the viable healthy cells. You should be ok, if the starter doesn't take off, then bin it.

A bit off topic but have you noticed that CraftBrewer's liquid yeast selection is looking woeful at the moment although I expect they must be waiting on a shipment soon, hopefully. He should send NewGuy or Katzke round to mug them for some :ph34r:

nedry.png

I've got a Ringwood and a Whitbread in the fridge so ok for the time being. I have actually settled on three yeasts that seem to do absolutely everything I need:

Wyeast Ringwood for UK ales.
US-05 for fake lagers
Coopers ex bottles for CSA and Aussie Olds.

And I have a couple of proculture Wood Ale that I'm going to do a runoff brew against Ringwood when I can get a couple of empty cubes and fermenters. :icon_cheers:

A bit off topic but have you noticed that CraftBrewer's liquid yeast selection is looking woeful at the moment

It is isn't it, I had to go elsewhere and pay like 5 bucks more a pack for a couple I needed :(

Yes but most yeasts are stored in a fridge, I was planning to store the yeast as a beer using stuff that I have available.

I think what he meant was that you can use far smaller vessels than bottles and therefore store more that way.

As for best all rounder - to me the point of using liquid as opposed to dry is their specificity. Therefore, if you have limited room then best will depend on your favourite/most often brewed style. If you have a house beer that happens to be a dubbel then 3787 might be best but if you make apas then american ale yeast might be best. There's no real all rounder - dry yeasts are a different story.

Having one liquid to suit manifold styles defeats the purpose of liquid as far as I can see.

Latest posts

Back