Best All Round Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenewenger

Reaction score
Hi All

Due to fridge space problems which will continue for the forseeeable future I reckon I could only store one maybe two liquid yeasts in there so i was thinking would would the recomendations for a good all round ale yeast that I could get and use in different styles of ales. like AMPale ale or Scottish.

Thanks
AW

If it were me id go for 1469 and 1272 :icon_drool2:

+1 for the 1272 American Ale Yeast 2. I use it for:

Blonde
APA
Amber
IPA
American Brown
Stout

And 2042 Danish Lager for my Pilsner.

Can't argue with reviled over the 1469 - my favourite of the moment.

If you're doing english style beers and as an Arsenal supporter - you should be :)
I'd go 1469 and 1026 because you can always buy most others whenever you need them anyway.
Those 2 are a bit harder to come by.

The O/P was ?ing ale yeast, my 2 bobs worth

1084 very versatile, some say green apple yeast, I say go for it!
3255, an absolute cracker yeast that dries your beer every time from a Begian Pale to Belgian Blonde onwards to a Saison.

1469 unavailable at the moment but hopefully November if they stick to the same schedule as last year. However Proculture "Wood Ale" liquid yeast is apparently an equivalent. Available from Gryphon Brewing in Perth (successfully purchased two vials that arrived here in SEQ at fridge temperature during the hottest August since records began, and currently awaiting a Yorkie brew).

:)

1469 unavailable at the moment but hopefully November if they stick to the same schedule as last year. However Proculture "Wood Ale" liquid yeast is apparently an equivalent. Available from Gryphon Brewing in Perth (successfully purchased two vials that arrived here in SEQ at fridge temperature during the hottest August since records began, and currently awaiting a Yorkie brew).

Repeating the same thing in about 10 threads.
Yeah good ole 1469 and the equivalent.
Gryphon has it, proculture.
Yada yada yada. Lets move on.

Good old 1469 or Pro-culture 103.We also have the Pro-102 or 1026 both are excellent and hard to find till now.
Ya Da Ya Da. :rolleyes:
GB

The O/P was ?ing ale yeast, my 2 bobs worth

1084 very versatile, some say green apple yeast, I say go for it!
3255, an absolute cracker yeast that dries your beer every time from a Begian Pale to Belgian Blonde onwards to a Saison.

ooh, hope that wasn't aimed at me.. sit down and 'ave a beer haysie :) Both yeasts I quoted are ale yeasts.
1084 is a good one too. have used it some time ago with nice results.

:icon_offtopic: What's this 3255 you speak of? Can't see a listing for it on the wyeast site, but didn't look too long.
or did you mean 3522? - never tried it so no comment.

ooh, hope that wasn't aimed at me.. sit down and 'ave a beer haysie :) Both yeasts I quoted are ale yeasts.
1084 is a good one too. have used it some time ago with nice results.

:icon_offtopic: What's this 3255 you speak of? Can't see a listing for it on the wyeast site, but didn't look too long.
or did you mean 3522? - never tried it so no comment.

Thanks BB, 3522 Ardennes it is Thanks.

Repeating the same thing in about 10 threads.
Yeah good ole 1469 and the equivalent.
Gryphon has it, proculture.
Yada yada yada. Lets move on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with GB, the only reason I post about Proculture is because the non-availability of 1469 is a sore point with many UK style brewers. Plus the fact that whenever Wyeast (and of course WhiteLabs with their Yorkshire Stone Square) decide to extract their fingers from their dates they then issue the yeast to coincide with the Northern Hemisphere winter but our summer. Good to have a local supplier.

PS why is this thread under AHB meetings and not Recipes and Ingredients? Mods please relocate.

Thanks BB, 3522 Ardennes it is Thanks.

Didn't notice that it'd happened before. agreed it would get annoying if he took over the whole thread. I like the fact that a 1469 is available though, people we're killing to get their hands on a sample of this yeast a month of two ago :p

I do love the 1469 (still got a few smack pack split vials in the fridge :)) but i would say 1272 American Ale 2 as the best all round yeast.

You can ferment it cool for a clean finnish or run it warmer for fruitiness

Its not as dry as US-05 so you can better control the finnished beer mouth feel with mash temperature and it leaves a slightly nutty soft smooth character in the beer.

I dont think there will ever be a true all round yeast because there are just too many catagories to fill but for your average pale ales, bitters, porters, stouts ect 1272 will do the job and smile at you.

cheers

Moved to Recipes and Ingredients, and deleted off topic posts.
Let's play nice guys.

Andrew

Hi All

Due to fridge space problems which will continue for the forseeeable future I reckon I could only store one maybe two liquid yeasts in there so i was thinking would would the recomendations for a good all round ale yeast that I could get and use in different styles of ales. like AMPale ale or Scottish.

Thanks
AW

As said above & OTTOMH 1469 & 1272. Maybe you should have a think on how many tubes you can squeeze into your limited space thus multiplying your liquid yeast options???

TP

1469 has been suggested several times. I will +1 that suggestion (or the pc or wl variations of it)...

1469 is another thread, somewhere else overthere>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

where Butters and BribieG live?>>>>>>>>>

Wyeast 1318 is my personal favourite. I use it in pretty much all my British and US style beers. Has a nice bit of fruitiness which you can turn up or down with a bit of ferment temp adjustment. If I could only have one that would be it. If I had two the second would be 1007. It is super clean and highly attenuative in my experience. You can get almost lager like character from it if that is what you want and if you have a high OG it can chew through it like nothing else.

Impossible for me to limit myself to only 2.

For English ales, I love wy1968, although I still have some starter splits of wy1469.
I also like wy1056 for American ales.
For weizens, wy3068.

Latest posts

Back