Benefits Of A Brew Club...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcmcg

I had lotsa barrels on the old AHB..
Reaction score
Well Westgate Brewers had their monthly meeting today and by far one of the best things abou being in a club is tasting club memers brews...and today , we were very lucky to sample John Kingston's Best Beer in Show at the latest Vicbrew...and what a wonderfull beer.....This is why everyone should join a brew club...so you can sample such delights and have something to aim for or even just to try something different !
BTW...John has a keg of the stuff destined for the Westagte Brewers Xmas party at mine...with Wood fired Oven delights !
Join a club ppl !
Cheers
Ferg
Secretary
West Gate Brewers

edit..sorry was a big afternoon

If it wasn't for BABBs in Brisbane I'd still be brewing partials and thinking I was producing the nectar of the Gods. The first meeting I took along two 2L goonies of kits n bits beer and printed out some recipe cards because I was sure everyone would be pestering me for the recipes :lol: :lol:

I received some politely guarded responses, tasted some really nice beers and the following week I went out and bought an urn and a bag B)

If it wasn't for BABBs in Brisbane I'd still be brewing partials and thinking I was producing the nectar of the Gods. The first meeting I took along two 2L goonies of kits n bits beer and printed out some recipe cards because I was sure everyone would be pestering me for the recipes :lol: :lol:

I received some politely guarded responses, tasted some really nice beers and the following week I went out and bought an urn and a bag B)
As BribieG said....You don't have to be making all grain to join a club....
But s&*&t it does kick ya off towards trying to make good and better beer...
FTB..
best lay orf the bock now...

Local club here is probably 50/50 AG and kits, which is a good mix considering the lack of expertise at the LHBS. Benefits have been meets roughly every 2nd month to chat about beer, drink a few beers and learn a bit about beer :D There are some good brewers in our local group too (including myself :p), and it's always good to bounce ideas of others. There's plenty of social events (fishing, brewery tours etc) that make it all a bit of fun too, looking forward to the next meet in fact!

Can anyone provide some contact details for Bayside Brewers in Melb?

I'd like to join.

I absolutely agree. Rocking up to my first IBU meeting i was just doing partial mash beers, and not really knowing what i was doing. I saw the one and only Ray Mills put down an all grain beer, hammered him, and the others with questions, and within a few weeks was all grain brewing. And Big brew day is an institution, as well as our real ale festivals. Beer lovers heaven!!

Our brewclub is a bit organisationally challenged, but to be honest i think it works great.

Honoured to be an IBU'er!!

Mark was being polite, the IBU's are like herding cats. No one is in charge, we are this moving mass that just has one soul purpose; good beer. We all gravitate towards it, the rest does not matter one iota.

Apart from no organisation, we have no structure, association, constitutions, payables, expectations or rules. From the choas we have a tops time and never a mean word has been spoken.

Join a gathering, or some other naming word ... as long as it is as riotous as the IBU's.

Scotty

Yes, a beer shared is a beer improved. It really doesn't get any better than that.

cheers

grant

But Bribie you're not supposed to win the bloody comp in your first year.

Gone are the days when the newbies rock on up knowing very little. Today's newbie scours the internet for info before diving head first into brewing (whatever there chosen method), when guests come along to their first meeting more often than not the AHB board gets a mention.

Cheers

Paul

Yes, a beer shared is a beer improved. It really doesn't get any better than that.

cheers

grant

And so, I'll accept that keg like tomorrow ... we share cos' we care ...

sounds good!
Id be keen to join a club, just tried my first batch on Friday night and wasnt too bad for K&K
got another one fermenting now which is extract, next one will be partial, and the one after that will be BIAB... Will need all the guidance i can get

Being in a brew club is fantastic fun!

Out here in Emerald, Qld it is a bit hard to find members for our Brewers Of Own Beer Society, but over the course of the year we've racked up nearly 20 members. :party:

What makes it a bit more interesting for us is that we each chuck in $5, have a tasting of everyones beer and have a vote for the winner, with the winner taking the prize.
With that money, they have to provide a keg of quaffer for the next meeting and the loser has to pour everyone's entry drinks at the vote next month.

Excellent time, even though we've only got a couple of grain brewers most of the beer is fantastic. Over the course of the year everyone's brewing has improved significantly, with people trying out hop additions, different yeasts, grain additions etc. Some of the kit entries have really surprised me, but overall the grain brewers have picked up the most wins, with me leading with 3 wins over the course of the year. :beerbang:

Unfortunately, come the end of the year we will be losing several members with them moving to new jobs etc., but the people moving are going to be carrying on the tradition. We are looking forward to visiting our Sunshine Coast chapter when it starts up, Sandy B.O.O.B.S. and will hopefully continue to pick up new members here in the new year.

Being in a brew club is fantastic fun!

Out here in Emerald, Qld it is a bit hard to find members for our Brewers Of Own Beer Society, but over the course of the year we've racked up nearly 20 members. :party:
.snip.

Unfortunately, come the end of the year we will be losing several members with them moving to new jobs etc., but the people moving are going to be carrying on the tradition. We are looking forward to visiting our Sunshine Coast chapter when it starts up, Sandy B.O.O.B.S. and will hopefully continue to pick up new members here in the new year.

dth, I'd say that your club could easily have the best logo of any clubs out there. surely that would be enough to 'raise a few members'

Just move to Bundy and join the AndrewQld brew club :D

QldKev

Can anyone provide some contact details for Bayside Brewers in Melb?

I'd like to join.

You can get in touch with Bayside Brewers by email to John Killmister ([email protected])

Vicbrew has more information about brewing clubs on their website.

And of course there 's always The Melbourne Brewers :) Get in touch we me about that one...

Andy

What makes it a bit more interesting for us is that we each chuck in $5, have a tasting of everyones beer and have a vote for the winner, with the winner taking the prize.
With that money, they have to provide a keg of quaffer for the next meeting and the loser has to pour everyone's entry drinks at the vote next month.

I don't want to hose down the party but be careful with this one. As I was saying to Steve at the Local Taphouse, even having a "donations" bucket on top of a fridge can cause problems if the excise commission catch wind of it...

I'd suggest that you rely on member's good will to continue brewing great homebrews and sharing these around gratis. We've been doing this for years at Melbourne Brewers meetings and never has a dry spell :)

Andy

I don't want to hose down the party but be careful with this one. As I was saying to Steve at the Local Taphouse, even having a "donations" bucket on top of a fridge can cause problems if the excise commission catch wind of it...

Excise and Illegal gambling hey Andy! Next thing you know we can't have footy tipping competitions and Melbourne cup sweeps!

Sunshine Coast Brew Club long overdue. I'd pop along whenever possible:

Bribie to Holland Park West (BABBs) - 1 hour 15 minutes and negotiating all of Central Brisbane on the way

Bribie to Maroochydore / Nambour 45 to 50 mins on freeway.

Arithmetic Arithmetic. :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Hills Brewers Guild are meeting up again next tuesday at Georges Pizzeria, Baulkham Hills (opposite the Bull & Bush Hotel) if anyone wants to come along and share a beer.

My brewing has improved tenfold since meeting up with these guys, plus I've made some great friends.

http://hillsbrewersguild.com/portal.php

Sunshine Coast Brew Club long overdue. I'd pop along whenever possible:

Bribie to Holland Park West (BABBs) - 1 hour 15 minutes and negotiating all of Central Brisbane on the way

Bribie to Maroochydore / Nambour 45 to 50 mins on freeway.

Arithmetic Arithmetic. :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Not if it's Noosa or Kin Kin Bribie. ;) :p

TP

Latest posts

Back