Benefits Of A 3v Brew Rig?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apostrophe/əˈpstrəfē
Noun:
A punctuation mark (') used to indicate possession (e.g., Mark's Homebrew, Mark's Kegable soft drinks)

Cite
   sahyt/saɪt
verb (used with object), cited, citing.
1. to quote (a passage, book, author, etc.), especially as an authority: He cited the constitution in his defense.
2. to mention in support, proof, or confirmation; refer to as an example: He cited many instances of abuse of power.

sight

saɪt
n.
1. The ability to see.
2. The act or fact of seeing: hoping for a sight of land; caught sight of a rare bird.
3. Field of vision.
4. The foreseeable future; prospect: no solution in sight.
5. Mental perception or consideration: We lost sight of the purpose of our visit.
6. Something seen; a view.
7. Something worth seeing; a spectacle: the sights of London.
8. Informal Something unsightly: Your hair is a sight.
a. A device used to assist aim by guiding the eye, as on a firearm or surveying instrument.
b. An aim or observation taken with such a device.
10. An opportunity to observe or inspect.
11. Upper Southern U.S. A large number or quantity: A sight of people were there.
v. sighted, sighting, sights
v.tr.
1. To perceive with the eyes; get sight of: sighted land after 40 days at sea.
2. To observe through a sight or an optical instrument: sight a target.
3. To adjust the sights of (a rifle, for example).
4. To take aim with (a firearm).
v.intr.
1. To direct one's gaze; look carefully.
2. To take aim: sighted along the barrel of the gun

Actually the registered business name is Marks Home Brew without an apostrophe, a typo by Fair Trading that I really couldnt be arsed changing.
Wouldnt the possessive form be Marks, after all I am neither pluralising nor leaving out any letters?
Then again Im not really too concerned, I know just how dyslexic I am and am really grateful for spellcheckers, tho than can sometimes do some funny things to words, just glad I can get my point across nowadays, you really should see my handwriting.
Mark

Would only be Marks' if your name was "Marks" rather than Mark, more likely in a surname than a first name. Eg. Ross' home brew, Steven J Marks' home brew etc.

What has punctuation got to do with the benefits of 3V? :icon_offtopic:

That sounds a lot easier than turning on my Urn & adding the grain to the BIAB bag once at temp. How on earth were you doing BIAB before to claim it was the easiest brew day so far? I missed the benefit of clear wort into the boil kettle. Can you explain how a clear wort into the boil kettle somehow makes for a better finished beer. Seriously, I'm curious. Please don't be mislead by what you may have read, a clearer wort into the boil kettle means nothing, absolutely nothing.
Each to their own for sure but don't be fooled into thinking that the 3V will make you a better beer, it ain't gunna happen. Don't waste your money bro.
Good luck

Opinions and arseholes mate!!!

I found that going to 3v has shortened my brew day, but it's mainly all about bragging rights.

shit.. what can I say here? I swing 4V, HERMut(ated) Via BIAB/Manifold Esky MT 4 Level CIP Badass Mo Fo.. :blink:

I assure you its easier to run than it sounds ;) but the fact is that systems vary as much as the individual that builds it..

We build it..

Beer will come..

1,2,3,4V, K&K, K&B, Partials BIAB... who gives a toss..

Great beer is Great Beer

:icon_drunk:

shit.. what can I say here? I swing 4V, HERMut(ated) Via BIAB/Manifold Esky MT 4 Level CIP Badass Mo Fo.. :blink:

I assure you its easier to run than it sounds ;) but the fact is that systems vary as much as the individual that builds it..

We build it..

Beer will come..

Great beer is Great Beer

Well put!

We build it..

Beer will come..

Great beer is Great Beer

I don't think anyone can argue with above, I think most of us have evolved in our brewing an improved along the way, whether it be from simple kits, and adding airation prior to pitching yeast, or going to AG with all the bells, there is always something new to learn and try. Issues of repeatability, controled ferment, water chem, and such come down to attention to detail. How much you put in, is how much you get out. In most cases I think you'll find no matter what system you use or settle with, you will produce great beer if you take the time to keep an eye on the rest of the process, producing good wort is really only half the job done.

Opinions and arseholes mate!!!

I realize everyone has one but it's not my opinion, it's a fact. I can with confidence compare the two methods against each other as I have owned both & brewed frequently with them.

1. Did my 3V rims make a better beer than my BIAB in an urn........Nope!
2. Is it a quicker brew day using the urn as opposed to the 3V.............Yep!
3. Am I a bit pissed I spent $2000.00 more setting up my 3V than I needed to.............Yep!
4. Crystal clear wort to the kettle with 3V, turbid with BIAB. Did this make any difference...........Nope!

Of course this is just my experience & if you wish to head down the 3V route, by all means go for it & all the best to you. You will undoubtedly make some great beer. You won't make better beer though. It will be exactly the same, just a different method to get you there.

4. Crystal clear wort to the kettle with 3V, turbid with BIAB. Did this make any difference...........Nope!

Of course this is just my experience & if you wish to head down the 3V route, by all means go for it & all the best to you. You will undoubtedly make some great beer. You won't make better beer though. It will be exactly the same, just a different method to get you there.

Good on you champ....

When you brew something you want to age with a turbid wort come back and let us know if you think there is any difference?

THE FACTS for my reality are that my biab beers to my palate did not age as well as the beers i am now producing with clear wort into kettle.
The biab beers were great, had a short peak window then rapidly went down hill. Fine if you drink it all quick.
My beers now are generally more clear and to me are more stable and i am enjoying them more and the process.
This could all be in my head, but there is plenty of evidence out there to suggest that turbid worts not even half of what you get with biab can lead to longer term stability issues.

I made some great beers with biab and recommend it to anyone wanting to brew some nice beer and i still use it for very small batches where i am just experimenting and using the esky / copper would not work. In general though i now find biab a bit unrefined in more ways than one, messy and wasteful.

Good on you champ....

When you brew something you want to age with a turbid wort come back and let us know if you think there is any difference?

THE FACTS for my reality are that my biab beers to my palate did not age as well as the beers i am now producing with clear wort into kettle.
The biab beers were great, had a short peak window then rapidly went down hill. Fine if you drink it all quick.
My beers now are generally more clear and to me are more stable and i am enjoying them more and the process.
This could all be in my head, but there is plenty of evidence out there to suggest that turbid worts not even half of what you get with biab can lead to longer term stability issues.

I made some great beers with biab and recommend it to anyone wanting to brew some nice beer and i still use it for very small batches where i am just experimenting and using the esky / copper would not work. In general though i now find biab a bit unrefined in more ways than one, messy and wasteful.

Are you bottling turbid fermented beer?
Turbid wort into the boil means jack shit, absolutely nothing. Crystal clear wort ends up in my no chill cube & Kopperfloc is the only fining agent used on my brew days. As far as drinking a so called turbid aged beer, I have a batch of SNPA that was BIAB & is 5 months old. Any off flavours or undesireables in that?.......................NOPE!
Is my SNPA brewed & bottled in February this year via 3V better than the above BIAB beer?.................Nope! No difference whatsoever & both crystal clear.
The success of BIAB in competitions proves without doubt the lack of importance of clear runnings.

Your results differ to mine & whatever works for you is fine by me. I made the switch from 3V to BIAB looking for a more simple & less complicated brew day & get excellent results. So the switch for me was the right one & I'm glad I did.

Edit: Not much science to many of these comments.
Go for what your budget / time allows.
Thats enough!

Fear.

Wouldnt the possessive form be Marks, after all I am neither pluralising nor leaving out any letters?

If you and your two brothers all named Mark were opening a homebrew shop, then Marks' homebrew would be perfect.

Getting to grips with the basic rules of communication is the first step to pretending you're smart.

I like my 3V ghetto gravity set up because I get to climb up a step ladder to fill the HLT. This is a perfect opportunity to drop my strides and stare into the lounge room until the missus notices and looks on in disapproval.
Granted, I could stand outside filling up a single vessel BIAB rig and drop my shorts, but it is comically superior when standing on a step ladder.

I like my 3V ghetto gravity set up because I get to climb up a step ladder to fill the HLT. This is a perfect opportunity to drop my strides and stare into the lounge room until the missus notices and looks on in disapproval.
Granted, I could stand outside filling up a single vessel BIAB rig and drop my shorts, but it is comically superior when standing on a step ladder.

now this is the most informative post yet!. love it

:icon_offtopic:
I thought the benefit of the step ladder was so you could see the neighbors missus where as with BIAB you can only see your own?

If you and your two brothers all named Mark were opening a homebrew shop, then Marks' homebrew would be perfect.

Getting to grips with the basic rules of communication is the first step to pretending you're smart.

What a shame, all those years wasted studding brewing passing exams and trying (in general) to contribute something meaningful, when what I should have been doing is studying up on punctuation, so I could post reams of irrelevant opinionated grammatically correct shit.
Thanks for the advice Nick, do you think if I study real hard for a couple of years I could pretend to sound as smart as you, I mean without having a lobotomy or beating myself around the head with a bat?
Mark

Oh my that big horrible unmanageable bag, so huge, so massive, so wet and hot, that's going to put your back out and ..............

20120826_204709.jpg

I mean, seriously ............ :lol:

HTFU princesses, do you need mumsy to wipe your liddle pooey bum as well?

edit: and that's a six k bill or what's left of it - taken ten minutes ago

Latest posts

Back