Belgian Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caution with WLP400: make sure it's in good shape as it'll throw a ton of ester, especially banana (which isn't a good look for wit), if it's struggling. Grow up a starter if in doubt. 400 does not travel well.

yep will be changing yeasts to one of the 2 that Ross suggested

wow glad I read this thread, I was thinking of trying a Wit next and was going to use a WLP400.

Another question, and apologies for thread hijacking but, what exactly is "flaked wheat"? And where do you get it?
I assumed flaked oats are just like good ol' uncle toby's?

Edit: Oooops should have read the first page of the thread. Ross already answered my question :)

The Whitelabs WLP410 Belgian Wit II is a really great wit yeast, ferments very well, it's much less phenolic than WLP400 and is slightly more spicy, and it clears well too. This is my yeast of choice for a true Wit.
For my mind the S-33 finishes too clean and attenuates too much and lacks the spicyness required.

Cheers
Andrew

The Whitelabs WLP410 Belgian Wit II is a really great wit yeast, ferments very well, it's much less phenolic than WLP400 and is slightly more spicy, and it clears well too. This is my yeast of choice for a true Wit.
For my mind the S-33 finishes too clean and attenuates too much and lacks the spicyness required.

Cheers
Andrew

I agree, use a liquid if you want the best Wit possible. The S-33 would still be my pick of the dry yeasts though & makes a pretty good drop.

Cheers Ross

I wouldn't have picked it myself but Chad's Wit from the case swap used k97 and it worked very well...

I agree, use a liquid if you want the best Wit possible. The S-33 would still be my pick of the dry yeasts though & makes a pretty good drop.

Cheers Ross

friends, the Wit is the next on my list too.My recepie is an extract one,this recepie comes from a mate , he suggest the following:

Grain: steeped at 67 degrees for 50 minutes( sparged into fermenter as much as I can with a siff)
250g Cara Malt
250g Munich Malt
400g Wheat Malt

Malt:boil for 10 min (including fermentables)
1.5l Wheat Malt
1.5l Light Malt
2.0l Glucose

Fermentables:
800g Dextrose
1500g Malto Dextrine

Hops: @ 60 min
70g Kent Goldings
40g Saaz

@ 75 min
40g kent Goldings
40g Saaz
15g Corriander Seeds
10g Cummin Seeds

Zest of 3 Seville Oranges( homemade dried) added to fermenter

the yeast was suggested as Wyeast 3944 Belgian wit

this is for a 50 liter brew.

any suggestions appreciated
cheers amita

Wits are not hop driven, I would stick with the EKG for the 60 minute additions and don't go much higher than 20 IBU total. To be honest I really don't think Saaz has a place in a Wit. Do you really need the malto dextrine? that's going to give you a very full bodied beer.
I have not done a partial in about 20 yrs so others may be better suited to advise you on the grains.
Don't forget the orange peel should be added in the last 5 minutes of the boil, it's essential.
However you do it your sure to love a Wit.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back