Belgian Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Tony - if I can get it above 30C ... will it be done in a month?

That yeast can be dificult to use...... i have had it finnish in 2 weeks, and i have had it finnish in 2 months.

I pitch it at 25+ and dont let it cool down....... use an electric blanket if you need to but i find when it cools down a few deg..... it goes into protest.

What do people do to kick it out of slumber once it's stuck at 1035?!

HEAT!

30 to 32 deg and hope for the best. Once it slows down it stays slow, but is always ticking away........ its not a conventional yeast we are used to...... its a very different animal!

have fun :)

Ummmm... sorry to sound dumb but should this be a north queensland specialty?
Hahahaha. Lets hope so ;) it's 29 in the evening here. Inside the house!

Thnx Tony. I gave the fermented a few swirls and ripped the towel off it. Here is hoping I see some gas still bubbling out an hour later.

Hahahaha. Lets hope so ;) it's 29 in the evening here. Inside the house!

Thnx Tony. I gave the fermented a few swirls and ripped the towel off it. Here is hoping I see some gas still bubbling out an hour later.
Hops and high ferment temp yeasts would be gold

I've tried a couple of saisons at the Wheaty. The first was okay, but not one I'd order again. But the second ... amazing. It was a black saison. Any recipes for something like that would be much appreciated.

Ive read as much as i can about the dupont strain and there seems to be a bit of conjecture as to weather its a single stain or not. From what I've read the wryest / whitelabs Dupont strain is 1 of 4 strains in the Dupont bottle, but its the 1 of the 4 that creates the right Dupont characters. It may not be the strain that attenuates the best out off the group though.

After creating 2 decent saisons with the Wyyeast 3711 (find them a bit Belgian wit-ish though) I'm thinking about reculturing the dupont yeast right out of the bottle, ferment that till it drops off then dump some 3711 (built up on a starter to high krausen) into it to finish the job.

thoughts?

I pitch it at 25+ and dont let it cool down....... use an electric blanket if you need to but i find when it cools down a few deg..... it goes into protest.

Gonna pitch at 30C! Feels unsettling... :huh:

6d8bc469.jpg

The fridge sample was well and clear, moving it stirred it up a little.

Also, swirl around yesterday got it kicking again, thin layer of active looking yeast on top now, some bubbling through that can be seen. Sitting constant 26C on its own, I'll see if it needs the heat belt tonight...

Saison is my house style. Dupont must be close to my favorite beer.

I never use crystal, but various ratios of Pils/ale, wheat, and sometimes unmalted wheat or rye.

Personally, I go easy on late hops, preferring a single 60min addition of something noble.

I use the Belgian yeast. Pitch at 24, and raise it 1 degree every two days up to 28. I usually rack after a few days at 28, then hold it at 28 for a couple of weeks. If it isn't done then, I leave it at ambient for a few more weeks.

Never needed other yeast - I usually get about 90% attenuation. The complex esters and alcohols give a sweetness and body that means even at 1.006 it is not thin tasting.

The sun's just hit the roller door and I've got 30C ambient. Pretty soon the door will be about 55C, so hopefully the average temperature of the fermenter (sits about 10cm off the door) will be in the late 20s, early 30s.

It smells awesome under the teatowel and gladwrap ... when the petrol from the mower is drifting the other way. Mmmmm, garage brewing.

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

Upping the temps to re-kick it worked. Its an active ferment atm. I'm putting the heater belt on for the nights, pushes it to 32C.... keeping it hot, never thought I'll hear myself say that about beer ferments.

It's tasting delicious already. Getting pears and bubblegum. Had 32C all afternoon today, and I reckon mid-twenties at night so the wort must be in the late 20s on average with a bit of fermentation heat.

It's tasting delicious already. Getting pears and bubblegum. Had 32C all afternoon today, and I reckon mid-twenties at night so the wort must be in the late 20s on average with a bit of fermentation heat.

PERFECT!

Nick, what is your gravity? Mine is still fizzing madly at 30C after I woke it up. I'll take a reading soon and post.

Nick, what is your gravity? Mine is still fizzing madly at 30C after I woke it up. I'll take a reading soon and post.

I'm getting buckets of pear in the aroma but the flavour is loquat bigtime. Esters! Whoa!

I've got a Dubbel fermenting at 20C also that's insanely banana, pineapple and cloves, and it's getting shown up by the Saison. Never thought I would say 1214 was bland in comparison.

Mines up to 3 weeks now and down to 1.015. Dropped only a handful of points over the last week... Tasting bloody good though

Mine is still fizzing madly so I am leaving it alone until the fermentation slows down or stops... I've used the heater belt a few times now. Always kicks it into a faster gear. It's quite weird needin to use a heater up here in cairns. All the fermentation seems to be happening sub-wort now. No more top ferm by the looks of it. I can see the bubbles coming out of pretty clear wort.

1021. Annoying. On goes the belt again.

Aroma was very clovey. Had heaps of banana from under the glad wrap. Nose is prolly too blocked up from the cool 26-28C today to detect anything else. Could whiff some other subtler aromas earlier but nothing today.

Taste has a slight alcoholic bite. Very slight, less than what I'd get from a duvel for example. The sweetness has gone away, bitterness comes out. Should be great at serving temp. Slightly cloying because of the incomplete fermentation atm.

I'm wondering if I should just rack it into a keg and add a little rehydrated wine or lager yeast?! I can always just flush the trub in the first pour.....

PS: as usual, heat belt has set it off again.

1021. Annoying. On goes the belt again.

Aroma was very clovey. Had heaps of banana from under the glad wrap. Nose is prolly too blocked up from the cool 26-28C today to detect anything else. Could whiff some other subtler aromas earlier but nothing today.

Taste has a slight alcoholic bite. Very slight, less than what I'd get from a duvel for example. The sweetness has gone away, bitterness comes out. Should be great at serving temp. Slightly cloying because of the incomplete fermentation atm.

I'm wondering if I should just rack it into a keg and add a little rehydrated wine or lager yeast?! I can always just flush the trub in the first pour.....

PS: as usual, heat belt has set it off again.

Just let it do its thing at ambient, should crawl its way to a low SG around 1.005 after three/four weeks, after the
'stall' its slow but steady with not much evidence of ferment. Patience dude, its a different beast but worth it.

Spot on winkle........ it gets down to 1.020 odd and then put put puts its way down very slowly.

Just kick it in the corner, forget about it and check it again in 2 weeks.

When the FG hasnt changed in a week..... then bottle or keg it. If you rush it..... you can get bottle bombs.

cheers

Back