Belgian Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewie Rivers

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers. I have a can of Mangrove Jacks Belgian Ale and a can of Morgans Amber Caramalt. Not at all sure what this will turn out like but was thinking of dry hop 50 gms Styrian Golding. Any comments please.

I wouldn't dry hop mate, the beer will be very yeast forward, enjoy it for what it is.

Stewie Rivers said:
Thanks Donske. I assume yeast forward means the yeast will impart flavours?
That's correct, I'm not 100% sure what flavours that particular strain brings to the table, being a Belgian ale yeast though I would take a stab at some clove or peppery phenols along with some fruity esters.

Someone with some first hand experience with the strain will be able to let you know roughly what to expect.

Dry hopping with the right hop can work really well in some Belgian paler styles. Styrian goldings is certainly the hop to do it with - if you want to give it a crack, reduce the amount to 20g, dry hop in the cold (as in chilled brew, not nightime in antarctica with your knickers off) and dry hop for 2 days only.

I have used ardennes and the flavour would work with that yeast.

Thanks fellows. Having thought about it I might try the brew with just the cans and yeast. At lest then I know what flavour to expect from the yeast and next time maybe dry hop.

In the past I have bottled half a batch one weekend, dryhopped for a week then bottled the other half the following weekend.

I'm unsure if this introduces significant oxidation or sanitation risks (since you'll be sucking in air as the liquid is drawn out). My palette isn't mature enough to have noticed anything, but I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on the practice.

I pimped a Mangrove Jacks Belgian with a tin of light LME and 600g light DME, and used Wyeast 3787 to turn it into a Belgian tripel. Came out great - one of our best beers back when we were doing kits. No hop additions, but it could have handled some easily to balance the banana & clove from the yeast.

Back